Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #121
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
I think it's interesting to take both this thread, the K-S1 rumour thread, and Ron's age demographics thread together. If we Pentaxians are truly not so happy about the K-s1 is it because of our higher age group, compared to younger people who like all these electronic lights, design differences, than the majority of the Pentax group, yet didn't buy the K-01 because of the limited marketing funds spent in advertising the product?

Right now Pentax needs new millions more photography consumers or else those Pentax are doomed statements will become true. Ricoh has to try to attract new consumers and that might mean we see for some weird designs but Pentax from the sounds of it was becoming a precarious financial position for them before the Ricoh buyout.

Ricoh has tried to appease the more long term Pentaxians by upgrading lenses, some accessories, but haven't appeased those who would like a Pentax full frame now and have lost some of those to the competition.

I came to Pentax because I liked the fact that the equipment was less expensive that Canikon and Fuji and Sony hadn't gotten to the places they are now. Technology is moving faster all the time and sometimes, not all, you have to let some designers think out of the box and design something different. But you have to spend money marketing or else the best design won't get you the sales. Case in point, Samsung and Apple.
Well for what I have seen so far they also have to learn some things about marketing and how to put your brand into a trusty place where you could buy into the system.

08-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I think Kai of DigitalReview TV rather liked the K-01...

Pentax K-01 Hands-on Review - YouTube
He's one of the reasons i got my k-01 to begin with

"Banana power!"

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 08-24-2014 at 11:43 AM.
08-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #123
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
"Banana power!"

Oh you are so shallow.

I was looking at the yellow K-x and then the yellow K-r, but then didn't want to spend the money on them, because the sensor wasn't great enoug and I still had lens wishes.........

Matches perfect with my yellow car and little yellow laptop.....

08-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Macro, Tele, any distance where the subject stays still enough to focus
focus peaking systems use an electronic rangefinder

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 07:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
"Live View" has lag. OVF doesn't. Ergo, mirrors are still necessary for a specific segment of photographers.
ovf in an slr has lag as a fundamental design flaw. optical rangefinders and tlrs have gotten around that in other unfavorable ways. mirrorless digital cameras with evf are literally the end of the compromise of camera systems. lag will soon improve to the point of being negligible.

08-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spinach Quote

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 07:34 PM ----------

ovf in an slr has lag as a fundamental design flaw. optical rangefinders and tlrs have gotten around that in other unfavorable ways. mirrorless digital cameras with evf are literally the end of the compromise of camera systems. lag will soon improve to the point of being negligible.
no...

While it's true that the mirror introduces the slightest amount lag, an EVF still needs to capture, process and display. And I'm not even including the refresh rate. It will be many years before the EVF is a match for OVF in this regard.

Last edited by luftfluss; 08-26-2014 at 08:06 PM.
08-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Spinach : <In the voice of Foghorn Leghorn> It was a joke, man, a joke!
08-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #127

capturing, processing and displaying less than a sixteenth of an image sensor (920k dot screen on a 16MP sensor) that already has a full frame burst more just shy of 6hz leaves plenty room to reach the point of persistence of vision.

an evf that shows the exact image as photographed, in the moment it is photographed (as in no screen blank due to shutter), and with negligible lag, is right around the corner and there is no more apt demonstration of that than the nikon 1 series' full frame 60fps burst, though one could also look at any number of cameras currently outputting raw 4k images at 30-60fps.

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 09:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Spinach : <In the voice of Foghorn Leghorn> It was a joke, man, a joke!
gotcha. i'm still kinda new here!

08-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

capturing, processing and displaying less than a sixteenth of an image sensor (920k dot screen on a 16MP sensor) that already has a full frame burst more just shy of 6hz leaves plenty room to reach the point of persistence of vision.

an evf that shows the exact image as photographed, in the moment it is photographed (as in no screen blank due to shutter), and with negligible lag, is right around the corner and there is no more apt demonstration of that than the nikon 1 series' full frame 60fps burst, though one could also look at any number of cameras currently outputting raw 4k images at 30-60fps.
"Persistence of vision" is not static - it varies by person and environment and subject.

An EVF does *not* show ":the exact image as photographed" - it shows the image as interpreted by the engineers who designed the camera's built-in image processing. It's artificial.

"Negligible" is a subjective measurement. You cannot determine what another person deems necessary. Nikon V3 (which I've shot with, briefly) would not cut it for some people.
08-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 09:58 PM ----------

gotcha. i'm still kinda new here!
You'll find different points of view regarding EVFs. They certainly have gotten a lot better, but if you are used to a good OVF, that is the standard that you are comparing your EVF to.

The downsides of OVFs don't bother me. The hit on battery life and lag that EVFs invariably have do bother me.
08-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #130
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You'll find different points of view regarding EVFs. They certainly have gotten a lot better, but if you are used to a good OVF, that is the standard that you are comparing your EVF to.
Exactly! I have been intrigued by EVFs for some time and almost pulled the trigger on a Sony A7. The display was great, but there was some sort of lag time that gave me an instant headache. No sale. K-3 instead.

Steve
08-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

mirrorless digital cameras with evf are literally the end of the compromise of camera systems. lag will soon improve to the point of being negligible.
I've been hearing this for more than a decade.
08-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #132

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I've been hearing this for more than a decade.
you probably have. show me how negligible it isn't and i'll stop thinking it hasn't already happened.
08-27-2014, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #133
Veteran Member

I encourage folks to keep an open mind. There's more than enough room in camera land for both types. My Pentax lenses work on either my K DSLRs or on my Sony e-mount cameras (in manual mode of course). There are pros and cons to either type and I use them for different applications. Life's too short for just one camera :-)
08-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #134

conversely, life's too long to not squeeze every ounce of capability out of whatever camera you've got, till it breaks or walks away.
08-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #135

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
An EVF does *not* show ":the exact image as photographed" - it shows the image as interpreted by the engineers who designed the camera's built-in image processing. It's artificial.
"as photographed" is artificial. photographs are artificial. there is no getting around that.