Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Exactly! I have been intrigued by EVFs for some time and almost pulled the trigger on a Sony A7. The display was great, but there was some sort of lag time that gave me an instant headache. No sale. K-3 instead.

Steve
I know what you re talking about, most of the Sony EVF's gives me motion sickness and headaches for whatever reason. Samsung on the other hand works well for me.

08-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #137
Banned

Original Poster
They could just make the K-S1 without mirror and making the OVF into an EVF. PDAF on the sensor and you have a great camera.
08-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps a thread in the K-01 forum isn't the best place to ask, but while we're on the subject of OVF/EVF... Why do people care about viewfinders at all - electronic or optical? Here's what I think are some possible reasons:

- Because for some people it's how they're used to shooting - ie it's traditional.
- Because it steadies the camera. (I guess this is most applicable for heavy lenses and/or marginal shooting conditions, especially since Pentax bodies have good IBIS.)
- Because an OVF can be used when the camera is turned off.
- Because it's easier to see than an LCD in harsh sunlight.

Am I missing anything? Having used the K-01 for some 20 months now, none of these arguments seem especially compelling to me...
08-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Perhaps a thread in the K-01 forum isn't the best place to ask, but while we're on the subject of OVF/EVF... Why do people care about viewfinders at all - electronic or optical? Here's what I think are some possible reasons:

- Because for some people it's how they're used to shooting - ie it's traditional.
- Because it steadies the camera. (I guess this is most applicable for heavy lenses and/or marginal shooting conditions, especially since Pentax bodies have good IBIS.)

Am I missing anything? Having used the K-01 for some 20 months now, none of these arguments seem especially compelling to me...
You don't lose the 15-30cm working distance that a viewfinder will save you over holding an LCD in front of you.

08-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Those are some major ones; and they're very compelling to me.

You missed the 'more natural' viewpoint.... I.e. I can use one eye at the viewfinder and one observing the world.

You also missed the field of view. With the viewfinder, close to 100% of my field of view is picture. With an lcdit's about 2%.
08-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
. I.e. I can use one eye at the viewfinder and one observing the world.
I first read this and thought that this made no sense. With an LCD, it's trivial to see what's going on around you and not be focussed only on what the camera sees. Then I had a flash: eye dominance! The few times I've picked up a DSLR, I've put my left eye into the viewfinder. This means that my right eye sees the (out of focus) back of my right hand and the back of the camera. Basically, I can only see what I see through the viewfinder, and it seems a little claustrophobic. Perhaps I could teach myself to use my right eye, but I think I realize now that that might be one of the main reasons why I find viewfinders so unappealing...
08-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #142
Veteran Member

You're second and fourth reasons are the principle ones for me. I've done tests for sharpness between holding the camera against my face in using the VF and also using the lcd at half arms length, and the difference in sharpness was clear, the VF images were sharper. I suppose one could use a really fast shutter and not see a difference in the files, but in many cases, that can cause a higher iso and noise.

Your fourth reason is the kicker for me. In harsh sunlight, i can barely make out the image on the LCD, and framing is a guess. Every year, the manufacturer's claim that their latest lcd solves the problem, but it doesn't. Perhaps some of the problem is mine because i wear prescription glasses and they have some darkening built-into them. But then i see all these "hoodman" type devices that shade the lcd or turn it into an EVF. I can only judge that i'm not the only one affected by harsh sunlight.

08-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #143
Banned

Original Poster
Holding the camera is steadyer with a viewfinder. But that is also good to do with the K-01 holding it in your hand and put your thumb on the trigger button.
08-28-2014, 11:12 PM - 2 Likes   #144

Photos: Albums
Wow, I haven't been here for quite a while, and things don't change much - people who don't use the K-01 continue to bash, and those who do continue to love it I've been using my NEX-5R a bit more than my K-01, but there's just not an ounce of merit in calling it a piece of garbage. Auto focus speed with updated firmware is definitely workable. Stabilization is great. Image quality is fantastic, and all I got are cheap lenses - the most expensive one is my FA 50mm 1.4. Bought an anti-glare screen protector, and I can use the LCD under direct sun light. I don't feel the need for an EVF.
My NEX is probably a bit better tool to take pictures, but the K-01 isn't just a tool. It's a work of art that happen to have a bonus feature of taking excellent quality pictures.
08-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #145
Veteran Member

One reason for motion sickness in live view can be the in body stabilization. On the K-01, I have it set so the stabilization only activates for the photo, not the whole time. If SR is active the whole time, live view will seem like you are on a boat.
This might be why live view on Sony cameras made you feel motion sick. Maybe there is an option that can be set to make it look better.
Anyway, with my K-01 I don't look at the camera while I move around anyway. I only look at the screen when I point at the subject and focus. In that time, the frame is quite still and there is no change of getting motion sick. The lag is also unnoticeable, unless you are panning and capturing fast moving subjects. Of course, if you try to make the screen fail, you can succeed.
09-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #146

Photos: Albums
Chris Nichols usually promotes Pentax, he knows what is good about them, but the K-01 was not to his liking. Indeed he is not the only one.

In many respects the K-01 was ,and still is, a fine camera. The concept is excellent; a new design of camera, mirrorless, and capable of using legacy lenses. I personally really do like the design, a refreshing break from tradition, but there were flaws in the ergonomics and for me the deal-breaker was no EVF.

So why is EVF important to me and others?
1. I use reading glasses for close up but not for distance; a viewfinder, optical or electronic,enables me to work without glasses rather than to have to keep putting on for the LED screen and taking off when looking up.
2. Viewfinders work irrespective of sunlight, i.e. all the time. LED screens are problematic in bright sunlight
3. I can keep the camera steady when it is pressed to my head, with my arms tucked in. It is far more difficult to keep steady with arms outstretched.
4. I am entirely focused on what and how I am shooting, no distractions in view, nothing else in sight,

My hope is that Pentax go back to Marc Newson and brief him on a K-02, with full frame 36mp sensor, and a K-03 with 20mp APS-C sensor; that these have EVF built in, disposing of built in flash in favour of a small pocketable flash, full 4k movie capability, wi-fi, flu card, built in gps, tiltable and touch rear screen, plus all the things that Pentax do so well. This is not to replace their excellent prismatic optical view finder DSLR's, rather to compliment them. Most of our money is spent on lenses, so it would make sense to expand the K mount system and thereby inject a new lease of life into it. EVF is massivly improved, the Sony Alpha 7 series is evidence of that. Issues such as resolution and lag are no longer an issue, focus peaking is possible through the EVF as are a host of other possibilities.

It would also be possible to reduce the size of the camera without the mirror box by providing a fully functioning distance piece that would enable full transmission of data and functionality including autofocus. This could be removed to allow for a new series of smaller lenses specifically designed for reduced lens to sensor distance.

On design, I remember well how the K-01 did not go down well, quite a few people still don't like it, but a significant number have taken to it. It did win the Red Dot for a reason. Despite it's two drawbacks, I fancy getting one just because for me the design is so much to my liking, or maybe even one of each colour!
09-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
It would also be possible to reduce the size of the camera without the mirror box by providing a fully functioning distance piece that would enable full transmission of data and functionality including autofocus. This could be removed to allow for a new series of smaller lenses specifically designed for reduced lens to sensor distance.
I also had this idea, but after pondering for a while I dismissed it. That would effectively mean Pentax having to support a fourth lens mount -- but to what end? Anyone actively shopping for a smaller camera will go for the Q series, which is already doing just fine.
09-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #148
Pentaxian

If they wanted to move to a shorter registration distance for APS-C mirrorless, I think Ricoh should make an alliance with one of the other APS-C mirrorless camera makers (ie Fuji, Sony or Samsung) similar to what Panasonic and Olympus have done for m4/3. Only then would it make sense and they wouldn't be supporting the new lens mount by themselves.
09-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #149
Veteran Member

I first read this and thought that this made no sense. With an LCD, it's trivial to see what's going on around you and not be focussed only on what the camera sees. Then I had a flash: eye dominance! The few times I've picked up a DSLR, I've put my left eye into the viewfinder. This means that my right eye sees the (out of focus) back of my right hand and the back of the camera. Basically, I can only see what I see through the viewfinder, and it seems a little claustrophobic. Perhaps I could teach myself to use my right eye, but I think I realize now that that might be one of the main reasons why I find viewfinders so unappealing...
When I see through a viewfinder it's like watching the world through the glass, it's like a natural link between the foto subject ad my brain. When watching a screen at a distance I feel like I'm watching a TV, something happening in a an electronic box rather than a subject in front of me. For me the first one feels way more open, like binoculars, than the closed feeling of watching a TV.

I'm right eye dominant and can shoot with either left eye closed or both opened, neither feel claustrophobic to me.
09-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #150
Veteran Member

A Loupe or Shade fixes that, for the other reasons, buy a K3