Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #151

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
A Loupe or Shade fixes that, for the other reasons, buy a K3
I already have a K-5, no doubt I will replace it with a K-3 if nothing closer to my preferences is released - or perhaps a Sony A7r with adapter for K mount lenses.

As for the idea of a loop attached to a K-01; have you seen it? Functional in one respect it may be, but I think you'll find that being such a bulky appendage it rather defeats the point of a mirrorless camera.

09-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
As for the idea of a loop attached to a K-01; have you seen it? Functional in one respect it may be, but I think you'll find that being such a bulky appendage it rather defeats the point of a mirrorless camera.
IMO you are making the same mistaken assumption that many so-called professional reviewers made when reviewing the K-01 upon release... that the "point" of mirrorless is to be slimmer than a DSLR. The principal point of mirrorless is to remove the mirror. A slimmer body is a typical attribute of mirrorless.

The are benefits and detriments to using a mirrorless, but in the end it really just comes down to a different flavor of ILC.

I use a magnetically attached EVF loupe on the K-01 when shooting wildlife, otherwise I use the plain LCD.
09-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #153
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I Always take the loop with the K-01 to shoots. Not to use for shooting (but I sometimes do in Sunny light), but mostly to review images on the screen. To see if my sharpness is on the places I want it to.
09-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Yuuuuup,..
What would be more useful for me, is for the HDMI to be enabled during recording, so I could use a remote viewfinder when I've got the camera mounted to a shoulder rig.
I'm half looking for an older Monochrome ENG Camera viewfinder that will accept analog video in, so I could use that in front of my eye, and then set an audio recorder on the back of the rails above a shoulder pad.

09-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #155

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
mistaken assumption that many so-called professional reviewers made when reviewing the K-01 upon release... that the "point" of mirrorless is to be slimmer than a DSLR. The principal point of mirrorless is to remove the mirror.
THANK YOU yes. the mirror itself was a compromise from the beginning.
09-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spinach Quote
that the "point" of mirrorless is to be slimmer than a DSLR. The principal point of mirrorless is to remove the mirror.
And Why,....?
It's because it's cheaper to make a mirrorless then it is to make a traditional DSLR.
It has nothing to do with the size of the lightbox, the flange distance, the mount, it's all about how much money is spent producing the product.

There's no reason to make it slimmer - if you want a slimmer camera, buy a Q, if you want a slimmer camera and to use K-mount lenses, buy a Q and the K-toQ adaptor. If you want a viewfinder, buy a K3.

I think what a lot of people are forgetting, is that between the Q, K-MILC, K-DSLR and 645's, Pentax has covered nearly every aspect of photography.
( yes, some will moan about FF, get over it, 95+% of people can't tell the difference between shot on APS-c and FF )

I'd even argue that the 'success' of the K-01 is the real reason the EOS-M even exists at all.

If Pentax spent more time on developing the firmware to match what people want to use the cameras for, more people here would see what I see on film sets - DoP's with more money then talent, who pick up my K-01 and wonder "why they didn't know it existed and why are it's stills so good?"
If you knew the number of times in the last six months where I've been asked "Where can I get one?".....
09-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #157
Banned

Original Poster
If Pentax spent more time on developing the firmware to match what people want to use the cameras for, more people here would see what I see on film sets - DoP's with more money then talent, who pick up my K-01 and wonder "why they didn't know it existed and why are it's stills so good?"
If you knew the number of times in the last six months where I've been asked "Where can I get one?".....
Time to put out a new piece of garbage then. I wouldn't mind having a larger sensor and still no viewfinder. Put some PDAF points on the sensor and it will be faster focussing.

---------- Post added 08-09-14 at 10:54 ----------

It is funny, since I wrote this over two years ago and still is good to bring to the market:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/189624-24-megapixel-full-frame-k-11-coming.html

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I already posted this in the News and Rumors thread about an upcoming FF DSLR. But the people who would believe in such a product probably will be hanging around overhere, so just a separate thread about such a camera. Would we want it? Would it make the K-01 series more serious? This is not about not getting a FF DSLR, but getting a FF mirrorless camera.

Well we all are rumouring about a new Full Frame DSLR coming from Pentax. It will be cheap and small and we all gonna love (or hate) it. Once Pentax starts to buy that Sony sensor Full Frame with 24 megapixel, it is very easy to use it in a second mirrorless camera. To make it different from all other camera's and make it different from Pentax's own full frame dslr they could make it in the form of the K-01. A very capable camera with lots of futures, only different from what a lot of traditional photographers are used to.

True, I just took an K-01 image and shopped the larger sensor in it with the new K-11 name The body probably has to grow just a little bit to make room for the larger sensor with SR-platform. Maybe the smallest form could be 131x85x59 mm, making it a real small camera!

The key specifications of the Pentax K-11 are:

•Sensor: 24.0 Megapixel CMOS (36x24mm)
•ISO Range: 100-25,600
•Autofocus: contrast-detect autofocus (CDAF) system
•Shutter: stepless, 30s-1/4000s rated for 100,000 actuations
•Framerate: 2,5 FPS at maximum resolution for jpg and 1FPS for 12-bit RAW until full card.
•Video: 1080p recording at 30/25/24 FPS, 720p recording at 60/50/30/25/24 FPS, VGA recording at 120/30FPS
•Image processor: single PRIME M
•Media: Single SDXC/SDHC/SD card
•All scenery modes will be available on this K-11.
•Body Color: Yellow, Black or White

The K-11 uses the same "crippled" KAF2 mount that's found on Pentax K-01, meaning it's fully backwards-compatible with manual lenses, but needs to stop-down meter when one is mounted. Focus Peaking-mode will make working with older manual lenses very easy. Whenever DA (APS-C format) lenses are mounted, the camera will automatically switch to a 12-megapixel cropped sensor mode which only utilizes the APS-C image circle.

The K-11 is aimed at the amateur photographer who would like to take the jump toward the large sensor Full Frame format. There are no pro-futures in this camera like fast frame rate, tethering shooting, sync-port for studioflash, extended iso-range, next to single shot mode there is only one continuous mode setting (jpg 2,5 fps (jpg with lenscorrections at 0,7 fps), RAW 1 fps and RAW+jpg at 0,8 fps and RAW+jpg with lenscorrections at 0,4 fps) because the buffer is to narrow to give a more hi-speed shooting and instead of 14-bit RAW the camera is working with a 12-bit RAW mode making files smaller and faster working with the single PRIME M engine. This will likely put its price at 2/3ths of the upcoming Full Frame DSLR from Pentax.

With this new camera a specially designed new kitlens will come. That would be a new 30-60mm/f3.5-4.5 FXs lens that goes back into the mirrorbox, so can not be mounted on dslr and also not on APS-C K-01 camera. Only a 2x zoomlens to make it rather fast and cheap.

Making this a very unique and affordable camera!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/189624-24-megapixel...#ixzz3CiEaQ2Bt
Little has changed since then. We do get PRIME MII in this K-11 Even FluCard and maybe the PDAF on the sensor. Nothing else has changed. Industrie is very slowly. And we can make things a little smaller, so it could fit just inside the K-01, no need for a bigger body.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 09-08-2014 at 01:57 AM.
09-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Time to put out a new piece of garbage then. I wouldn't mind having a larger sensor and still no viewfinder. Put some PDAF points on the sensor and it will be faster focussing.

---------- Post added 08-09-14 at 10:54 ----------

It is funny, since I wrote this over two years ago and still is good to bring to the market:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/189624-24-megapixel-full-frame-k-11-coming.html

Little has changed since then. We do get PRIME MII in this K-11 Even FluCard and maybe the PDAF on the sensor. Nothing else has changed. Industrie is very slowly. And we can make things a little smaller, so it could fit just inside the K-01, no need for a bigger body.
Sounds like a good idea Ron.

But I do agree that as a camera the K-01 was a pile of crap (as a camera), that's not to say crap cameras are bad as I totally love my sigma dp merrills and they are even slower with much less battery (but make up for it in IQ, leaf shutter and great built in lens).

Keeping the flange distance is a good thing, they can build into the mount (xs lens) to make smaller/faster wide angles (the bonus of mirrorless with shorter flange distances) and even use the space where the mirror used to be for things like ND and removable IR filters (like the sigma dslrs.

Bringing a FF version of the k-01 would be good as it would mean they don't have to make a new mirrorbox so it keeps cost's down but I would like to see a built in EVF and for them to remove MOVIE:SR and go back to mechanical.
09-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And Why,....?
It's because it's cheaper to make a mirrorless then it is to make a traditional DSLR.
It has nothing to do with the size of the lightbox, the flange distance, the mount, it's all about how much money is spent producing the product.

There's no reason to make it slimmer - if you want a slimmer camera, buy a Q, if you want a slimmer camera and to use K-mount lenses, buy a Q and the K-toQ adaptor. If you want a viewfinder, buy a K3.

I think what a lot of people are forgetting, is that between the Q, K-MILC, K-DSLR and 645's, Pentax has covered nearly every aspect of photography.
( yes, some will moan about FF, get over it, 95+% of people can't tell the difference between shot on APS-c and FF )
Your solution for a slimmer camera - "buy a Q" - completely ignores the loss of image quality and usability with K-mount lenses compared with the K-01.

If you're comparing a good DSLR vs a similar-specced mirrorless, I don't know if the mirrorless is much cheaper. A good EVF is not cheap.

Given that Pentax has a tradition of making compact bodies & lenses, a slimmer body fits with the Pentax ethos.

---------- Post added 09-08-14 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
But I do agree that as a camera the K-01 was a pile of crap (as a camera), that's not to say crap cameras are bad as I totally love my sigma dp merrills and they are even slower with much less battery (but make up for it in IQ, leaf shutter and great built in lens).
But it's not, and never has been since the AF was improved by a firmware update.
09-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a K-5 II owner (before I got my K-3) I purchased the K-01 because I was interested in using it for astrophotography. The K-01 had focus peaking, which the K-5 II family did not (very helpful in astrophotography). Of course I bought it when it was around $250 for the body, which is a ridiculous value for the technology in the box. It is also over 1/2 a pound lighter than the K-3 body, which can make a big difference when you are hanging it off a telescope or on a mount like the Polarie.
09-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Hey Everyone

It's Chris Niccolls here from The Camera Store ....

Ha ha @Chris, that was a funny line about the K-01. Don't worry, as a happy K-01 owner, it didn't hurt my feels, nor did it affect the photos I've taken with it. It's just a camera after all. I like it. You don't. That's ok.

It's ironic that in the whole video the K-01 was the only camera to get a beauty shot. LOL!

Ten years from now nobody's gonna remember the T5i or the D5200 or the D600 or the 6D or any of those black blobs. And hopefully by then the whole retro thing will be over and buried. Again. The K-01 though...I bet you a Timbit that it's still going to be...aesthetically-speaking...quite distinctive. In my book, that's cool.

Pentax K-01 is in the house
by john m flores, on Flickr

Pentax K-01, as taken by it's bigger brother.
by john m flores, on Flickr

That's my $.02, but I guess you can't use them in Canada since you're getting rid of the penny.
09-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just think it is great as a landscape camera. Probably would work decently as a portrait camera as well. Honestly, you don't need blinding auto focus performance for these sorts of things and having a smallish camera with a sharp, small lens makes it really handy to have around whenever you need it.

09-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice images, Rondec!
09-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

But it's not, and never has been since the AF was improved by a firmware update.
At the release price and its specs it was WAY behind even my several year younger gf1 (that cost me £650 with a 20mm f1.7 and was one of the first of its kind), never mind the more modern mirror-less camera's released at the same time... 1fps in raw?

Sure when the price plummeted it was a decent camera for the money, it was/is able to take very nice images due to the 16mp sony sensor but imho it was crippled far more than it had to be and was also the first pentax apcs camera to use the really crap movie:sr which I really hope they do away with (or allow the user to select what type of sr to use) as the mechanical sr was much better.

But just because a camera is pretty crap, it dosn't mean its a bad camera as I stated with my merrill's, they are probably the worse cameras I have used (spec, speed wise) but also the best camera's I have used too.
09-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
At the release price and its specs it was WAY behind even my several year younger gf1 (that cost me £650 with a 20mm f1.7 and was one of the first of its kind), never mind the more modern mirror-less camera's released at the same time... 1fps in raw?

Sure when the price plummeted it was a decent camera for the money, it was/is able to take very nice images due to the 16mp sony sensor but imho it was crippled far more than it had to be and was also the first pentax apcs camera to use the really crap movie:sr which I really hope they do away with (or allow the user to select what type of sr to use) as the mechanical sr was much better.

But just because a camera is pretty crap, it dosn't mean its a bad camera as I stated with my merrill's, they are probably the worse cameras I have used (spec, speed wise) but also the best camera's I have used too.
I agree the price at introduction was too high, but... seriously? The sensor in the K-01 is worlds better than the GF1. I mean, the sensor in the GF1 is P&S league. Even now, the K-01's sensor is better than any m4/3's.

Last edited by luftfluss; 06-08-2016 at 08:23 AM.