Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #1

Lens Cap

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've lost the stock lens cap that came with the Pentax K-01 camera. Where can I get a new one, preferably one that has a leash!

09-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one for the 18-55mm lens, or the body cap?

B&H, Adorama and the pentax web store carry replacements for both, but you could get a generic one on ebay for a lot less.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or do you mean the little rubber plug cap for the DA 40 XS? That one is also available from Pentax, but you can get a 27mm plastic snap-on cap from eBay for about a dollar.
09-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
27mm plastic snap-on cap from eBay for about a dollar.
I should do that. I've lost that little rubber thing at least 10 times only to have my wife find it somewhere random and ask me if I know what it is (well, ok, only the first few times. Now she just sticks it on my desk). The OEM cap is only like $9 now though, so not as bad as when it was $40 or whatever.

10-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Guys, my apologies but I'm a camera novice. I purchased the stock K-01 and have lost the small lens cap on the outside front. I believe it is a 40mm. Is this the one I want?
Lens Cap : Pentax O-LC27 Lens Cap for smc PENTAX-DA 40mm f/2.8 XS Lens

Also, so I won't lose it again:
Sensei Cap Keeper Lens Cap Holder CK-L B&H Photo Video

Thank you so much for your help.
10-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scarng Quote
Guys, my apologies but I'm a camera novice. I purchased the stock K-01 and have lost the small lens cap on the outside front. I believe it is a 40mm. Is this the one I want?
Lens Cap : Pentax O-LC27 Lens Cap for smc PENTAX-DA 40mm f/2.8 XS Lens

Also, so I won't lose it again:
Sensei Cap Keeper Lens Cap Holder CK-L B&H Photo Video

Thank you so much for your help.
Not sure what you're going to attach the cap holder to. Usually those are elastic bands that you strap to the lens, no? The XS wouldn't have anywhere to strap it.

The pinch cap seems like a better idea, especially if you were going to cover up the cap logo anyway.
10-18-2014, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

You should be able to find some alternatives on ebay, for example this one. I expect that there are some cheaper ones around also. Personally, I bought a dozen or so for just a few dollars in total..

11-04-2014, 05:22 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Mine got lost, too. What I did was I bought a cheap 27mm radius UV filter on the ebays. It traveled for a long time from Hong Kong, but I use it instead of a lens cap. Sometimes I don't even bother removing it, can take photos with almost no loss in image quality.
11-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check Ebay for the cap for the lens you have. There should be several inexpensive options. If you know the mm diameter you may be able to find a generic on Amazon also.
11-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Since that post about 27mm UV filter seems to be popular, I will give one more tip. DSLR filters are usually bigger, but 27mm is not an unusual size when it comes to videography. I bought a Masa 27mm UV filter. It doesn't affect sharpness much, but it can cause flare and ghosting when shooting into light. The filter threads are also not perfect, so after a year of use, it doesn't screw in neatly. But it works well enough as a lens cap, just to prevent putting fingerprints on the tiny XS lens.
06-30-2015, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #11

Photos: Albums
I just bought a 40 xs pulled from a kit and resold; it had the back cap but no front cap. So I figured film cans were about an inch, 27mm is about an inch. Sure enough, a film can lid snaps on perfectly. This might not be true of all film cans so if it doesn't fit, try a different brand's can lid. It also helps to flip your focus to MF and extend the front of the lid.