Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I looked at the K-S1 again today. I'm afraid I can't answer all the questions definitively, but I have some comments to add.

In video mode you can hold down the AF button and the camera will continuously focus with the CDAF system. However, the system is rather slow to reacquire focus. It has clearly been programmed to focus slowly to keep down the screw drive noise. So in answer to the question about moving subjects, I think it would still be unsatisfactory, but it is better than the K-01.

I'm afraid I forgot to check whether focus peaking can be used in video mode. I did confirm that you can't change the colour, though.

I asked about the lights today. It seems they light up for a few seconds when you switch it on, but then they are off while you are shooting. The Ricoh rep demonstrated how the lights count down in the last five seconds of the timer. He also showed me how they recognise faces. This was quite impressive because the camera recognised our faces really quickly.

I didn't have a detailed look at the menus, but there do seem to be a lot of advanced customisation options. It didn't strike me as being dumbed down in that respect.

The way the K-S1 was being promoted in the store was interesting. There was a guy with a megaphone, announcing "If you're one of those people who doesn't like DSLRs, take a look at this camera!" I think that is their main sales pitch for the K-S1.

09-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Is this thread in the right place? I wouldn't have expected to see a user review of a DSLR in the Mirrorless Camera forum.
09-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Is this thread in the right place? I wouldn't have expected to see a user review of a DSLR in the Mirrorless Camera forum.
There is still no K-S1 section.
09-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
Pentaxian

But there is a DSLR section with other K-S1 threads.
The K-S1 isn't a mirrorless.
Pentax DSLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com

09-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
But there is a DSLR section with other K-S1 threads.
The K-S1 isn't a mirrorless.
Pentax DSLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com
This is also a place where people meet who are into design camera's.
09-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Ron, as I said, there are already K-S1 threads in the Pentax DSLR forum, which is where one would expect them - obviously.
This thread [about a K-S1 DSLR] has been posted in the K-01 section of the mirrorless forum. Clearly mis-posted. I thought I would mention it in case a mod missed it and could then move it to the appropriate area where others would expect to find more threads about the K-S1.
In hindsight I should have just reported it, but I honestly didn't expect anyone to argue about it... Just trying to be helpful 'tis all..
09-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems appropriate that it's posted here. The OP is a K-01 owner & writes from that point of view. And many K-01 users are likely interested in the K-S1 also...
09-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
It seems appropriate that it's posted here. The OP is a K-01 owner & writes from that point of view. And many K-01 users are likely interested in the K-S1 also...
+1. It's not like the K-01 forum sees much activity these days anyhow.

09-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #24
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's what I was thinking. My points of comparison are with the K-01, not other DSLRs, and I think the K-S1 will have some appeal for K-01 owners who are looking for a replacement.
09-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #25

+1 for me as well. My K-01 is my only Pentax body now and I have been considering the KS-1 as well. I appreciate the review of the KS-1 from the perspective of a K-01 owner. I really like my K-01 and have owned it for maybe 1.5 years now. I am still discovering things about it and really enjoy it. I was taking some portraits with the FA 50 f/1.8 and it really felt great to me.

Anyway, the KS-1 seems interesting to me because over the years I've really settled into what I like using in terms of modes and settings and this thread has been helpful in figuring out where the KS-1 might fit in there. I would probably be looking at it for slightly improved sensor performance and really, to get the viewfinder back. I find that the K-01 works for me maybe 90% of the time. But that 10% of the time I'd really like a viewfinder. I like the size and form factor of the KS-1. I've decided that when I need to go full portable I take my NEX-5N. But I still appreciate having a smaller DSLR. Although that being said, I've also started using a Sigma 24-70 and it is downright beastly on the K-01.

I can't imagine buying the KS-1 at full retail right now. If it drops down into the $450 range I'd probably be more inclined. For now, I'm going to happily continue using my K-01.
09-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #26
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PIngp0NGMW Quote
I appreciate the review of the KS-1 from the perspective of a K-01 owner.
Thanks for the comment. I just want to clarify that I don't own the K-S1 and just used it for a short time in a shop, so I wouldn't describe what I wrote as a review.

I think I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm not urgently in need of a new camera - I still like my K-01, so I'll probably wait several months before I buy a new body. My best lenses are the limited range, so the K-S1 seems like the ideal camera for them. However, another part of me misses the full-on DSLR experience (big grip, top LCD, etc.) so I'm also in half a mind to buy a K5 IIs, which is incredible value right now, and that new 16-85mm lens they showed at Photokina.

Looking back at my post makes me really appreciate the Pentax system. Pentax bodies and lenses offer such a diversity that you can build systems based around the K-mount that you simply couldn't with any other system (like pancake lenses and a mirrorless body).
10-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Thanks OP for putting this camera on my radar screen, I think.
My cameras: K-5, K-01, original Q, and more recently the MX-1.
The K-01 pretty much put my K-5 on the shelf, and now, with the MX-1, the K-01 is not being used nearly as much.

I see the possibility of the K-S1 replacing both my 5 and 01, but right now the sale of both would not cover the cost.
So it's a price drop, and member reviews that are waiting game for me.
11-01-2014, 12:47 AM   #28

I was not keen on the idea of the leds until I started taking photos and filming my own hands while I'm working (on a step by step tutorial) and then realised just how useful they are
11-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

If k01 would had been priced well during launch it would be a killer cam, I payed 316$ with 40xs lens, if something like that would had been launch price than we would had seen k01 mk2 also.
11-01-2014, 04:35 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LynneZ Quote
I was not keen on the idea of the leds until I started taking photos and filming my own hands while I'm working (on a step by step tutorial) and then realised just how useful they are
But how's their light?
I mean it appears green in the pictures... I don't believe the color temperature is, e.g., daylight balanced?