Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

K-01 service question

I am planning on sending my K-01 in for warranty service. I believe that it has focusing issues...not focusing on what I have selected, AF searching and many times not even locking focus. I compared lenses on the K-01 with my K-7 and don't find the same issues with the K-7 so not a lens problem. If I am sending this from Southern Calif. where does it go and does anyone have any experiences with the service center? What is the estimated turn around time?

09-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Have you tested this good first? In good light. With the latest firmware?
09-28-2014, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
I am planning on sending my K-01 in for warranty service. I believe that it has focusing issues...not focusing on what I have selected, AF searching and many times not even locking focus. I compared lenses on the K-01 with my K-7 and don't find the same issues with the K-7 so not a lens problem. If I am sending this from Southern Calif. where does it go and does anyone have any experiences with the service center? What is the estimated turn around time?
Hmm, since the K-01 uses CDAF, there is no AF module and therefore nothing that can really be adjusted by a repair shop.

The best CDAF performance is obtained with a large AF area, as opposed to the smallest setting in select mode, for instance. Under what conditions have you been experiencing issues?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hmm, since the K-01 uses CDAF, there is no AF module and therefore nothing that can really be adjusted by a repair shop.

The best CDAF performance is obtained with a large AF area, as opposed to the smallest setting in select mode, for instance. Under what conditions have you been experiencing issues?
I'm going to play with it some more but it seems to work the best with the 40mm xs and that isn't even consistent. I have experienced the focusing issues in a variety of situations: low light, lots of available light, flash, no flash and with a variety of lenses. I have noticed that focus improves with the AF assist light on but that, too, is not consistent and I can't use that with several of my birds. Items I focus on are not in focus. Focus on the same thing with the K-7 using the same lens and it's in focus. I have increased the size of the AF box but maybe should increase it even more? I've also used manual focus and looks like what I want is in focus but in the resultant photo that's not the case. I also don't have this problem on my G3 so I don't think it's me.

---------- Post added 09-28-14 at 01:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Have you tested this good first? In good light. With the latest firmware?
Yes, very good light outdoors. I updated the firmware a few months ago, not sure it's the latest, though. Will check on that. Wanted to test out the 43 especially at 1.9. At this point, K-01...fail, K-7...excellent.

Last edited by iamwhoiam; 09-28-2014 at 01:31 PM.
09-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My K01 had two visits to japan. My camera would AF with motor focus lenses, but not screw drive. On the second visit they replaced some of the electronics which solved the problem. The reason it went to japan is that only a small number ever sold in Australia so it was not worth purchasing the tooling to fix the K01.

So do get it seen before the warranty is finished and check they have solved the problem when you get it back.
09-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
My K01 had two visits to japan. My camera would AF with motor focus lenses, but not screw drive. On the second visit they replaced some of the electronics which solved the problem. The reason it went to japan is that only a small number ever sold in Australia so it was not worth purchasing the tooling to fix the K01.

So do get it seen before the warranty is finished and check they have solved the problem when you get it back.
It's driving me crazy. It supposedly locks focus but can see that it's not focusing right. It's hit or miss. I purchased the Pentax 2 year warranty when I bought the camera so will send it in and also have them do the free cleaning.
09-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
It supposedly locks focus but can see that it's not focusing right.
It could be the same problem I had and the first tinkering that was done didn't work. Are you able to compare a screw driven lens with a motor AF lens?

09-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Can't do a comparison. I don't have any lenses with motor drive.
09-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do keep in mind that CDAF means "contrast detect auto-focus". It looks for an area of maximum contrast within the AF zone a focuses on that. If your K-7 supports liveview AF (ie CDAF), you might want to compare the K-01 with the K-7 in liveview mode to make sure it's not just the CDAF being its stubborn and slightly dense self before you send the camera in...
09-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Do keep in mind that CDAF means "contrast detect auto-focus". It looks for an area of maximum contrast within the AF zone a focuses on that. If your K-7 supports liveview AF (ie CDAF), you might want to compare the K-01 with the K-7 in liveview mode to make sure it's not just the CDAF being its stubborn and slightly dense self before you send the camera in...
Thanks for that suggestion. I will do that. I never use the K-7 in live mode but will do it for comparison purposes. Will try it with different lenses.
09-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
I had AF problem with my 1st K-01, which was sent back for a replacement. Your problem seems to be similar to mine - focuses intermittently, and not an issue with lens. I'd send it in for repair.
10-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
I used liveview with the K-7 and have to say it was absolutely abysmal. If I had purchased that camera for the liveview function it would have been returned immediately. Maybe I am doing something wrong with it but I could have downed a can of soda and eaten a large bag of Fritos in the time that it took it to auto focus (exaggerating but it was EXTREMELY slow). Liveview and AF don't mix well with the K-7, IMO. At least it finally focused whereas the K-01 would not even do that when photographing the same things in the same light.