Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Issues with K-01 + DA35 Macro?

Just received a used DA35 Macro today, and I notice AF misses a *lot* when used indoors with low-ish light. I tried outdoors at infinity focus, and that's hit or miss. Other lenses like the DA21 & DA70 are perfectly fine.

Sometimes the focus winds up in front of or behind the subject, sometimes the entire frame is OOF but the camera indicates that focus was achieved.

When used very close to the subject, its not bad.

Any ideas if this is merely a peculiarity of the K-01 + DA35 Macro combination?

10-07-2014, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the long focus throw is partially to blame. It's certainly not ideal for CDAF...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-07-2014, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, just sounds like the da35. It's not happy focussing in low light (great lens otherwise).
10-07-2014, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, macro lenses in live view are far from perfect. What I do with my DFA 100mm on K-01 is I usually quickly prefocus manually (quickshift allows that) and then AF just zeroes in on the object. Anyway, for macro work you will be doing mostly MF. MF is the only way to get critical focus for extreme closeup objects.
Make sure you are using the latest firmware update on the K-01, it improves AF a lot compared to the first one. The other thing you can do is make the AF square as small as possible.

And yes, unfortunately long focus throw, macro lenses without focus limiter, are not very well suited for live view (like the K-01), especially for tiny or moving subjects. Works well enough for things like landscapes or portraits, though. So I don't think its the "lens", its both the lens and camera together are not quite optimal. If you think your lens has a defect, though, I suggest you find a DSLR to test it with regular phase detect AF. Even with that one, macro lenses are a little slower, its just such an extreme distance. You can do a test. Go close to a flower and have the camera set to minimal focus distance, and have just one branch or stalk in the frame. Now focus to infinity. You will notice that at infinity, you can't even see the nearby flower. And when you focus on the flower, the backgroud/infinity is completely blurred and unrecognizable. Hope this explains why a machine might have problems as well

10-07-2014, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #5

Not that it solves the problem if your copy if the 35mm has an issue, but I find one of the advantages of the K-01 to be focus peaking which should improve your keeper rate with manual focus.

I don't think I have ever had my 35mm on my K-01, but now I am curious.
10-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, fellas. I figured it might be the CDAF + long focus throw.

---------- Post added 10-07-14 at 08:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CMS Houston Quote
Not that it solves the problem if your copy if the 35mm has an issue, but I find one of the advantages of the K-01 to be focus peaking which should improve your keeper rate with manual focus.

I don't think I have ever had my 35mm on my K-01, but now I am curious.
Yup, love focus peaking, I use it a bunch.
10-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Further exploration with the DA35 in good light shows there is indeed a focusing issue, so its on the way back to the seller.
11-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the 35 macro frequently on the K-01 with very good results. It does appear that your problems were with the lens not the lens/camera combination.