Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2014
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 100
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yes, it is. You will also notice that raw burst mode is very slow, but if you select bracketing, the three photos are taken faster. So it seems that burst mode could be faster, but is limited artificially.
bracketing is multiple images held in the buffer and processed together as one image. burst mode is each image shot, processed and stored individually. it's far from the same.

10-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,560
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spinach Quote
bracketing is multiple images held in the buffer and processed together as one image. burst mode is each image shot, processed and stored individually. it's far from the same.
That means the buffer must be large enough to contain at least 3 images.
If it is only a speed issue then (i.e. processing) why the jpeg limit is way higher?
10-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That means the buffer must be large enough to contain at least 3 images.
If it is only a speed issue then (i.e. processing) why the jpeg limit is way higher?
Yes the buffer is large enough for 3 RAW images at highspeed (6 fps). Don't think the buffer is much larger.
10-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,560
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yes the buffer is large enough for 3 RAW images at highspeed (6 fps). Don't think the buffer is much larger.
...and in spite of this, burst mode is limited to the "Low" setting, 1fps when shooting RAW. Not 6fps for 3 frames (half a second) and then a degraded mode, as it is the case for jpeg.
An artificial limitation, software-side, it seems.

10-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2014
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 100
it holds three images, then it takes a real long time processing them to create a single bracketed image. it's not like you can shoot sets for bracketing back to back like regular stills. burst mode also includes time to move each image from the buffer to the memory card, taking up more precious time even with UHS cards.
10-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,283
QuoteOriginally posted by spinach Quote
bracketing is multiple images held in the buffer and processed together as one image. .
QuoteOriginally posted by spinach Quote
it holds three images, then it takes a real long time processing them to create a single bracketed image. it's not like you can shoot sets for bracketing back to back like regular stills
Incorrect.
Bracketing produce three separate images with a variance in exposure.
You may be thinking of HDR which does as you describe.
10-17-2014, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...and in spite of this, burst mode is limited to the "Low" setting, 1fps when shooting RAW. Not 6fps for 3 frames (half a second) and then a degraded mode, as it is the case for jpeg.
An artificial limitation, software-side, it seems.
Never tested it, but maybe not even much faster then the lo-setting. In that you can take 1 fps and that I tested came to 60 frames in one minute. Didn't look into the bracketing if making them could deliver actually more frames in one minute, but it delivers on the 3 frames in fast shooting. I sometimes use that, its a matter of good timing.

This one I made with the bracketing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-wait-43636/&u=14650
10-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,560
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Never tested it, but maybe not even much faster then the lo-setting. In that you can take 1 fps and that I tested came to 60 frames in one minute. Didn't look into the bracketing if making them could deliver actually more frames in one minute, but it delivers on the 3 frames in fast shooting. I sometimes use that, its a matter of good timing.

This one I made with the bracketing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-wait-43636/&u=14650
Wow, awesome PP! post liked.

10-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2014
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 100
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Incorrect.
Bracketing produce three separate images with a variance in exposure.
You may be thinking of HDR which does as you describe.
true. still,
QuoteOriginally posted by myself:
it's not like you can shoot sets for bracketing back to back like regular stills
the processing time after taking bracketed shots is long as hell and nothing like a continuous burst mode
10-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,201
It is a K-01, which is a mid-range camera. It wasn't built to rival a K-5.
10-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #26
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is a K-01, which is a mid-range camera. It wasn't built to rival a K-5.
Yes but when are futures entry level, mid range or pro? Does it really matter to the one buying it? The K-01 is a one-off so it could get any future without competing K-5. (likewise for the K-S1 with all the led's.......)
10-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #27
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,766
QuoteOriginally posted by spinach Quote
the processing time after taking bracketed shots is long as hell and nothing like a continuous burst mode
The point is, if you use exposure bracketing (in drive modes), and NOT HDR, then the camera takes three quick photos and just saves them. No processing is done on the shots! This works even in raw mode. Thus some people use this, usually at +-0.3eV, as a "hack" that causes the camera to fire off a quick volley of three raw shots way faster than the camera's (awful) continuous raw burst mode. You can then pull up (or down) the shot in post if the -0.3eV shot or the +0.3eV shot is the one you want. Of course, that just gives you a three-shot-burst, but you take what you can get (or you buy a K-3)...

Last edited by Doundounba; 10-17-2014 at 06:49 PM.
10-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #28
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2014
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 100
burst mode, however, will get you more than three shots. also, it's a pretty fast burst mode. if you want something faster, get a smaller sensor. the nikon 1 series is great for burst mode.
10-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,560
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is a K-01, which is a mid-range camera. It wasn't built to rival a K-5.
Price at introduction wasn't mid-range at all, methinks...

---------- Post added 10-18-14 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The point is, if you use exposure bracketing (in drive modes), and NOT HDR, then the camera takes three quick photos and just saves them. No processing is done on the shots! This works even in raw mode. Thus some people use this, usually at +-0.3eV, as a "hack" that causes the camera to fire off a quick volley of three raw shots way faster than the camera's (awful) continuous raw burst mode. You can then pull up (or down) the shot in post if the -0.3eV shot or the +0.3eV shot is the one you want. Of course, that just gives you a three-shot-burst, but you take what you can get (or you buy a K-3)...
There always is some processing, at least in order to generate the jpeg preview which is integrated in the RAW, and then there's RAW NR starting from ISO3200...
10-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,201
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Price at introduction wasn't mid-range at all, methinks...
Poor price decisions have nothing to do with feature sets.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, firmware, k-01, k01, mid-range, mirrorless, mode, pentax k-01, post, shot, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A week with the K-R and only have 3 gripes. claimed4all Pentax K-r 32 10-29-2011 11:07 AM
a few new photos (more than a few actually) lukastrika Post Your Photos! 4 03-23-2008 06:58 PM
a few ducks and a few other randoms. distorted_vision Post Your Photos! 4 11-23-2007 06:02 PM
It's been a few weeks Here are a few for ya Petthefish Post Your Photos! 9 11-03-2007 10:41 PM
took a few and processed a few... dudlew Post Your Photos! 8 02-13-2007 01:31 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top