Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A few gripes...

So far, I'm loving my little K-01, and am pleased with itssuperb image quality.
I have a few gripes, though, nothing major, but, anyway...

here goes:
1. When you zoom in live view, you can't switch focus peaking via red button, you have to press "ok", then "red button", and then "ok" again in order to go back to 6x zoom.
2. Why no composition adjustment via sensor shift feature? The reason can't be hardware, I reckon, is it just a dumbed-down firmware?
3. Why no matrix metering in M mode? There's only spot and center-weighted...

I guess those are all firmware limitations...

10-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
1. When you zoom in live view, you can't switch focus peaking via red button, you have to press "ok", then "red button", and then "ok" again in order to go back to 6x zoom.
I noticed this as well. It is annoying. Digital zoom is very useful, though, as it opens the aperture so you can really do critical focus.
2. Why no composition adjustment via sensor shift feature? The reason can't be hardware, I reckon, is it just a dumbed-down firmware?
Yes, it is. You will also notice that raw burst mode is very slow, but if you select bracketing, the three photos are taken faster. So it seems that burst mode could be faster, but is limited artificially. Another thing is the digital SR in movie mode, which further crops the frame (although, Pentax seems to prefer this over mechanical SR, because mechanical SR in movie mode creates a noise)
Not sure, especially since the K-01 is always in live view, so the metering can be done anywhere at any time. Just like it can AF anywhere in the frame. Not really a "problem" for me, though.

Basically, the K-01 was an experiment. The K-02 would iron out the bugs and make a stellar camera. But the K-01 got too much internet hate due to its looks (and quirks like the ones mentioned), so there won't be a K-02, which in my opinion is too bad. I would like a K-02 with 20MP sensor and.. firmware that isn't dumbed down. Not to mention the many other innovative things that could be implemented via firmware. I guess Sony, Samsung, Fuji and such companies are the future when it comes to mirrorless. Pentax is instead focusing on the Q, but even that series has a firmware very similar to K-01
10-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Basically, the K-01 was an experiment. The K-02 would iron out the bugs and make a stellar camera. But the K-01 got too much internet hate due to its looks (and quirks like the ones mentioned), so there won't be a K-02, which in my opinion is too bad. I would like a K-02 with 20MP sensor and.. firmware that isn't dumbed down. Not to mention the many other innovative things that could be implemented via firmware. I guess Sony, Samsung, Fuji and such companies are the future when it comes to mirrorless. Pentax is instead focusing on the Q, but even that series has a firmware very similar to K-01
Please stop making me sad...
10-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

lol I'm sorry! Come on, everyone knows I love the K-01! I always recommend it, there is a lot of potential there, especially combined with XS lenses

10-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I noticed this as well. It is annoying. Digital zoom is very useful, though, as it opens the aperture so you can really do critical focus.
Love it and prefer it over focus peaking, actually... so not really a problem, except for the rare times I'd like to have FP, or when I trigger the red butto by mistake with the neckstrap, and then want to turn it off...

Yes, it is. You will also notice that raw burst mode is very slow, but if you select bracketing, the three photos are taken faster. So it seems that burst mode could be faster, but is limited artificially. Another thing is the digital SR in movie mode, which further crops the frame (although, Pentax seems to prefer this over mechanical SR, because mechanical SR in movie mode creates a noise)
THE SNEAKY BASTARDS!!!
Well, K100D Super slowed to a crawl after just 3-4 RAWs (and by crawl I mean 0.3 fps...), so even 1fps is an improvement for me...

Not sure, especially since the K-01 is always in live view, so the metering can be done anywhere at any time. Just like it can AF anywhere in the frame. Not really a "problem" for me, though.
My thoughts exactly... and, as you said, not much of a problem...

I'm glad they made that experiment, I'm in love with it...
10-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

In my view the K-S1 is the successor of the K01. Still small and with a different design, but with an optical viewfinder... To me a big improvement.
10-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
In my view the K-S1 is the successor of the K01. Still small and with a different design, but with an optical viewfinder... To me a big improvement.
Hi Christian

Do you have a K-S1, would like to see some photos and comparisions to K3 or K-01. If you could Thanks.

10-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Love it and prefer it over focus peaking, actually... so not really a problem
I agree. I'm no fan of PENTAX's Focus Peaking, I don't know how people can rely on it.
10-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Hi Christian

Do you have a K-S1, would like to see some photos and comparisions to K3 or K-01. If you could Thanks.
No, no, I don't have either camera. I said the K-S1 seems to be the K-01 successor because of the philosophy behind the design. I think you'll be hard pressed to see differences in real world pictures between a K5 IIs, a K-S1 and a K-3. The K-01 with its weak AA filter will not be too far behind in terms of IQ either. So IQ would probably not be the reason to choose one over the other - they all have Sony sensors that behave similarly. It's the size, the shape and the ergonomics that are very much different between K-01/K-S1 and "normal" Pentax DSLRs.
10-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital zoom is very useful, though, as it opens the aperture so you can really do critical focus.
The aperture is always fully open till you press the shutter button.
Invoking digital zoom with the OK button does not change the aperture.

Edit, I correct myself here, I see the DA lens does stop down in brght light so Na is correct, it opens up when OK is pressed..
A manual lens is always open.

Last edited by wombat2go; 10-15-2014 at 07:50 AM.
10-15-2014, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lol I'm sorry! Come on, everyone knows I love the K-01! I always recommend it, there is a lot of potential there, especially combined with XS lenses
I know... I really want there to be a K-02 with an EVF and/or articulating LCD, better AF and improved focus peaking.
10-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yep, aperture closes down during live view, and not only with the K-01. I think all cameras after that behave the same (so, K-30, K-50, and probably K-S1 but this was not yet confirmed). This was a big problem for many people, as it can be noisy. The clicking can also make people suspicious that you are taking photos, when you are not. The other problem is that if the aperture is stopped down, the DoF is wide, so the focus peaking might be deceptive. But the aperture change is necessary to a) allow composition, which wide open would be too blurry and b) to protect the sensor for bright light. The automatic aperture stop down does not occur with manual lenses, of course.
Pressing Ok for the digital zoom opens up the lens, so the DoF of focus peaking becomes more reliable. However ultra wide lenses and very slow lenses still show an odd peaking DoF. Focus peaking is practically useless on my Samyang 14mm, unless the subject is within 80cm of the lens. Beyond that, suddenly everything is glowing. Pentax should add a Sensitivity slider for the peaking function. Peaking was great when it came out on the K-01, but it has evolved since. Some brands have a very refined peaking, which works better than the current Pentax offering.
I also wholeheartedly agree about the tilting screen. About EVF, I would like to see Pentax make an EVF module that can be detached, that way it can be used on any Pentax camera, like the Q or K-01. That way people who don't need EVF don't have to pay for it, and the camera doesn't need to give space for an EVF, while there is still an option available for those who want it.
10-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax should add a Sensitivity slider for the peaking function.
Yes, that might be the answer - along with a different colour.
10-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
which wide open would be too blurry and b) to protect the sensor for bright light. The automatic aperture stop down does not occur with manual lenses, of course.
If it works OK with a -M 1:1.4 50mm ( I just tried it in strong sun),
i wonder why the feature was not made user selectable.
10-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #15

So far, I'm loving my little K-01, and am pleased with itssuperb image quality.
I have a few gripes, though, nothing major, but, anyway...

here goes:

I guess those are all firmware limitations...
In the end, Matrix metering is pure guesswork, because there is no way to know exactly what the camera 'thinks' it is seeing. And more to the point, the camera has no way of knowing what your exposure intentions are with that motive. M is the mode where you know exactly what you want and how to get it, and where you get to just tell that to the camera which then doesn't try to be a smartass for once.

If you pardon the German, here is a more detailed explanation:

Michael Quack - Matrixmessung, oder "Esst mehr Scheisse, Millionen Fliegen....."