Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

K-01 after 1 month

I dipped my toes into the Pentax waters again with the KO1 and what a revelation I still have Canon dslrs and this little gem blows them away
Teamed with a Pentax 50mm A 1.7 which is less trouble to focus than I thought it is fast and compact to use
Some observers ridicule it as it seems to be a toy camera but when I show the results they are confounded and also very impressed
I was hoping I would see a MK11 with tilting screen and a better battery door but instead they brought out KS1???
Hoping to win a new lens but still happy with my 50mm and foot telephoto
I an now looking at getting a film camera as I have been missing real photo,s

10-31-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jockscott1 Quote
I suspect a typo but I'm unable to decipher it... foot telephoto = ?

What Canon products do you shoot?
10-31-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dipped my toes into the Pentax waters again with the KO1 and what a revelation I still have Canon dslrs and this little gem blows them away
Teamed with a Pentax 50mm A 1.7 which is less trouble to focus than I thought it is fast and compact to use
Some observers ridicule it as it seems to be a toy camera but when I show the results they are confounded and also very impressed
I was hoping I would see a MK11 with tilting screen and a better battery door but instead they brought out KS1???
I, too, am disappointed there is no K-01 mkII.

But still, owning the K-01 is a wonderful experience. It makes me feel like I'm in on a secret, the camera people see as an ugly duckling but inside is the soul of a swan.
10-31-2014, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Foot telephoto = gotta walk to zoom... Using a prime lens and moving to get the shot you want.

10-31-2014, 11:29 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

The flappy-rubber battery door cover has held up much better than I thought it would, guess they knew what they were doing after all
Like most K-01 users, I feel it really needed a tilting screen (or even an articulated one - might have attracted people from the other side).

It would have made the Mk1 so much better.
Attached Images

10-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tilting screen would make it much better video shooter, very good camera, and was sold at very low price during its last year. I grabbed one that time with 40xs lens.
11-01-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought one too in september, so it's still fresh...
Wonderful little camera...
Don't be fooled by the rubber door... there's a dedicated thread on dpreview, and somebody has yet to break it!
AF is not perfect, but MF is a real joy... 6x magnification really helps a lot, especially if you're a pixel-peeping addict!

11-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I love myK01 so much I have two. I am now eying a third. The two I have I paid an average of $225 and for that I get value like nothing else. I can bolt on the classiest lenses with no rejection.

My favourite application is macro. Some of the images produced with the K01 are unbelievable. I suspect it is a function of the weakened AA filter, but ultimately, the K01 is all things learned by Pentax in the K5 minus some high end trimmings. My only wish is for 14 bit but hey i should expect to pay much more for that benefit ;(

My suggestion is you get the three amigos for your K01. Simply stunning matches - and, might I add when mounted no one has a clue just how capable the setup is. AF on the FA43mm is fast and accurate, unlike some other lenses ....

Regards
11-01-2014, 02:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I love myK01 so much I have two. I am now eying a third. The two I have I paid an average of $225 and for that I get value like nothing else. I can bolt on the classiest lenses with no rejection.

My favourite application is macro. Some of the images produced with the K01 are unbelievable. I suspect it is a function of the weakened AA filter, but ultimately, the K01 is all things learned by Pentax in the K5 minus some high end trimmings. My only wish is for 14 bit but hey i should expect to pay much more for that benefit ;(

My suggestion is you get the three amigos for your K01. Simply stunning matches - and, might I add when mounted no one has a clue just how capable the setup is. AF on the FA43mm is fast and accurate, unlike some other lenses ....

Regards
Ha, it's funny how the "grass is always greener..." etc.
I've seen K5 users complain they couldn't shoot 12bit RAWs...
I believe the 2 additional bits wouldn't bring much benefit, since they would contain mostly noise... limiting factor is the sensor, not the bit depth of the RAW, AFAIK...
I've still to get a decent telephoto zoom, my poor Sigma UC is falling apart...
11-01-2014, 03:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Regards
Just wondering why would you have three of the same camera? I shoot weddings with a k5 and a k3. I keep a prime on one and a zoom on the other.....but three? maybe I'll add one to my shooting style!
11-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
Just wondering why would you have three of the same camera? I shoot weddings with a k5 and a k3. I keep a prime on one and a zoom on the other.....but three? maybe I'll add one to my shooting style!
He's not the only one... maybe he likes the colors...
...I guess a Panda must feel lonely without a Smurf and/or a Bumblebee!
11-01-2014, 03:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
I have a yellow and a black. I really like the yellow and want another so yes colours are enticing me. But, on a more series note, I have many lenses. Having a few bodies with primes loaded gives me more shooting options. Imagine, three amigos mounted on three K01s ...... I can't quite do it yet

Also I have two children. Having three would mean I can shoot with each person holding a K01 - everyone is equal and we can share lenses. Cheap as chips fun.
11-01-2014, 03:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Love those mockups! A tilting or articulated airgapless screen sure would add functionality to this little camera!

Oh, and to all of those that bought the camera new - don't forget to upgrade the firmware! The first one was significantly slower than the later updates.
11-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a yellow and a black. I really like the yellow and want another so yes colours are enticing me. But, on a more series note, I have many lenses. Having a few bodies with primes loaded gives me more shooting options. Imagine, three amigos mounted on three K01s ...... I can't quite do it yet

Also I have two children. Having three would mean I can shoot with each person holding a K01 - everyone is equal and we can share lenses. Cheap as chips fun.
I shared my old K100D Super with my girlfriend just yesterday... It would have been funnier with K-01s!!!

---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 11:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Love those mockups! A tilting or articulated airgapless screen sure would add functionality to this little camera!

Oh, and to all of those that bought the camera new - don't forget to upgrade the firmware! The first one was significantly slower than the later updates.
Yep, already did it (1.00 -> 1.04, not 1.05 since I'm not using the TC). AF sure is snappier.
11-01-2014, 03:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Lucky family...the family that shoots together.....captures memories together.......! All the best and thanks for the idea, just might go to three cameras!