Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Confirmed: cheap IR remote for K-01

As it has already been said, I'd like to confirm that some Philips remotes, like the "Digital RC5896" work with the K-01, and you can actually use them in Bulb mode (just set triggering method to "remote" in the Drive menu).
telecomando originale Philips DIGITAL RC5896 | eBay
^ this auction has not been set up by me, it's just to show a picture of the remote.

By pressing the power key (Edit: and most other keys as well) you shoot in all the modes, while in bulb mode you have to keep it depressed, and then release it after the amount of time you deem necessary.
Not very practical, I reckon, & couldn't find a key to trigger focusing, but at least it works!
Hey, you can still tape it over and it'll work as long as the remote batteries last!
Happy shooting!

11-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Remote for Sony Blu-Ray player BDP-S570 works for K5II. If I recall correctly, the heart button is shutter release. However I still bought a dedicated remote;
a) it was only 10 EUR with delivery and
b) it's much smaller
c) I felt stupid taking TV remote out in public

However, functionally, perfectly usable.

PS: Sony remote on the left, this was the clearest picture I could find.

11-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
while in bulb mode you have to keep it depressed, and then release it after the amount of time you deem necessary.
Can't you change the trigger function for the remote in bulb mode in the menu like on the other Pentax? Check in the C settings.
11-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Can't you change the trigger function for the remote in bulb mode in the menu like on the other Pentax? Check in the C settings.
Oh right, I forgot to mention this: yes I tried and it will trigger but it won't accept the second command (and stop the exposure)....
Quirky, isn't it?

11-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Quirky, isn't it?
Sure is. But at least it is working...

But for about $10 why not use a cheapo Made in China remote? I had one for close to two years and it worked great. I think I paid about $10 for it and for all I know the guy who bought my Kr (and the remote) may still be using it.
11-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sure is. But at least it is working...

But for about $10 why not use a cheapo Made in China remote? I had one for close to two years and it worked great. I think I paid about $10 for it and for all I know the guy who bought my Kr (and the remote) may still be using it.
I have too many things to buy...
gels and a transmitter for the flash, a second flash, a tele zoom, a macro rail, filters, maybe a larger camera bag... it's nice to know that I don't have to look for that anymore because I already have at least a stop-gap solution...
11-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I already have at least a stop-gap solution.
True. And as a benefit, you can also use it to turn on your TV... The Pentax remote (or the knock offs) don't allow you to do that
11-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
True. And as a benefit, you can also use it to turn on your TV... The Pentax remote (or the knock offs) don't allow you to do that
Nope, my TV is from another brand...

12-10-2014, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Nope, my TV is from another brand...
I tried out a few remote apps on my Android HTC One phone not long ago, all of which seemed to work.
12-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clatrell Quote
I tried out a few remote apps on my Android HTC One phone not long ago, all of which seemed to work.
Too bad my mobile doesn't have an IR Blaster...