Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 01:33 AM   #1

K 01 Sigma Super Wide II 28mm great on auto but washed out colors otherwise

When I use full auto with a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm F2.8 lens - a full auto lens, the colors are punchy, the focus is very good, but when I try various manual or AV settings the colors are usually washed out and never as balanced as in auto.

I have read though several discussions on using the K 01 with non auto lenses and have tried various settings, but I still can not l get close to the quality of the auto photos, specifically the light metering and the color balance.

Any suggestions are welcome.

The attached photo is from full auto, resampled down to 1,000 pixels wide. The colors are close to the original scene, the image is not quite sharp enough but would look ok with some sharpening.

Last edited by Phillean; 11-20-2014 at 01:40 AM. Reason: to include a sample photo
11-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't see any attached photo.
Could it be that the Av settings are shot wide open? This can mean the contrast is lower, there is less flare control, etc. Anyway, I'll wait for shots with exif info, then we can help you better

OH, one more thing can be that Auto mode has things like jpeg mode (Info menu), shadow and highlight correction and other such things enabled, which can make the photo punchier. IT can even use a different metering mode - Av might be set to spot meter or something.
11-20-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That happened to me once and after ages I'd discovered I'd accidentally knocked the Custom Image setting from Bright to Mute. I was wearing a sling and the camera was bouncing on my hip. This menu option doesn't work in full Auto. Check your Custom Image setting first.
11-20-2014, 04:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, the mode name is a giveaway. Auto does everything for you automatically, and you have no choices. Other modes are more and more manual, and you have to choose and make decisions that will produce a good photo. M mode with raw is the most manual, Av gives a little more choices (as do Tv and Sv), P is almost like Auto but slightly more customizable. If you choose anything other than Auto, you have to start making decisions. These modes give you the potential for photos that are better than Auto, but they won't come on their own.

11-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phillean Quote
When I use full auto with a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm F2.8 lens - a full auto lens, the colors are punchy, the focus is very good, but when I try various manual or AV settings the colors are usually washed out and never as balanced as in auto.

I have read though several discussions on using the K 01 with non auto lenses and have tried various settings, but I still can not l get close to the quality of the auto photos, specifically the light metering and the color balance.
*snip*
Why don't you try shooting RAW?
I'm thinking that you aren't, because if you were, you'd know that pictures are often lacking contrast and you can get almost any look you want with little quality degradation.
You can also re-set color balance as you please, but after the fact.
You just do the camera's job, but better
11-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
Not sure why the photo did not show up. I hope it is attached now.

Here is the Exif data of the image before it was resampled

Color Space: sRGB
Components Configuration: 1, 2, 3, 0
Contrast: Hard
Custom Rendered: Normal process
Date Time Digitized: 20 Nov 2014 10:19:36 am
Date Time Original: 20 Nov 2014 10:19:36 am
Exif Version: 2.3
Exposure Bias Value: 0
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Program: Landscape mode
Exposure Time: 1/500
File Source: DSC
Flash: Off, did not fire
FlashPix Version: 1.0
FNumber: 11
Focal Length: 24
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 36
Photographic Sensitivity (ISO): 1,600
Metering Mode: CenterWeightedAverage
Pixel X Dimension: 4,928
Pixel Y Dimension: 2,776
Saturation: Normal
Scene Capture Type: Landscape
Scene Type: A directly photographed image
Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
Sharpness: Hard
Subject Distance Range: Distant view
White Balance: Auto white balance
Focus Mode: AI Focus AF
Image Stabilization: 5
Lens ID: 768
Lens Model: Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
PentaxModel ID: 77,560
Serial Number: 1

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 11:34 PM ----------

M for Manual, AV, RAW, etc

I am used to working with these on my Pentax Kx and my Canon SLR and I can get the results I am aiming for.

My issues are understanding what the K 01 is doing, what is behind the settings/ choices, getting M/manual or AV working well in the K 01 seems to be more difficult than the K x.

I could work from the Raw files, but I want to be able to produce Jpegs for immediate display or immediate forwarding.

The replies have prompted me to explore the settings some more, and understand what is happening in Auto on the K 01.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
11-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phillean Quote
My issues are understanding what the K 01 is doing, what is behind the settings/ choices, getting M/manual or AV working well in the K 01 seems to be more difficult than the K x.
Really? In my experience it is exactly the same, only that the camera is constantly in live view and has no mirror. If you press the Info button you have a bunch of choices in Av mode, but next to no choice in Auto.
11-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Really? In my experience it is exactly the same, only that the camera is constantly in live view and has no mirror. If you press the Info button you have a bunch of choices in Av mode, but next to no choice in Auto.
Agreed.
Only pitfall is the auto gain of the lcd screen, which can be confusing since it gives no indication on the exposure, but simply allows you to see the subject in the best way possible for composition/focusing purposes...
But then the K-x has live view as well so this only applies if you use the viewfinder...

11-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Oh my Phillean - you're going to confuse people with all the cars parked on the wrong side of the road,.... or even just know that the blue one is a Ford Falcon AU and not a Taurus.

Like others suggest, check the 'Custom Image' setting (Stills Menu 1 item 1 or press the Info button and follow the prompts), I'd also suggest your shooting in Muted. Natural matches the contrast and highlights setting of the Full Auto setting reasonably closely.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 11-26-2014 at 01:49 AM.