Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

Built-in flash stuck on

Yesterday, the built-in flash on my K-01 started firing with every shot even though it is pushed down. Also, pressing the flash up button will not pop up the flash, presumably because the camera thinks that the flash is already up.

I tried changing every setting that I could think might help, but nothing worked. The only thing that prevents the flash from firing is turning the mode dial to the 'No flash' mode. I tried leaving the battery out of the camera all day today, then I reset all functions to the defaults, but that didn't help. I updated the firmware to 1.04 (I was on 1.03), but that didn't help. Eventually I pried the flash open: inside the flash housing there is the catch that holds the flash closed and a small button that presumably detects that the flash is closed; holding this button depressed while shooting still doesn't stop the flash from firing.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Jeremy

12-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I see the "pin" that the flash holds down while (the flash is) on the down position never did try if holding it down manually will disable the flash. Maybe you have to push the "catch" back also as you push the "pin" down? There might be something wrong electrically. Although the catch is mechanical in nature, actuating it is an electrical thing.
12-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I see the "pin" that the flash holds down while (the flash is) on the down position never did try if holding it down manually will disable the flash. Maybe you have to push the "catch" back also as you push the "pin" down? There might be something wrong electrically. Although the catch is mechanical in nature, actuating it is an electrical thing.
Thanks. I tried holding the catch in different positions while holding the pin down but it didn't make any difference. I think you are right that it is an electrical problem.
08-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My pentax k-01 has a similar problem - I've fixed it before by cleaning around the flash mechanism - but it's happening again. Anyone have any other suggestions?