Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 fan noise?

I just noticed my K-01 making a noise. If I put my ear close to the camera I can hear what sounds like a small motor or fan noise. Its not the AF motor, doesn't seem to be shake-reduction. I swear after 2 years I would have noticed this, so likely it's new. No idea what it is, but whenever it's on now I can hear this faint but distinct noise coming from inside the camera.

Anyone else?

Brad

12-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bradsarno Quote
I just noticed my K-01 making a noise. If I put my ear close to the camera I can hear what sounds like a small motor or fan noise. Its not the AF motor, doesn't seem to be shake-reduction. I swear after 2 years I would have noticed this, so likely it's new. No idea what it is, but whenever it's on now I can hear this faint but distinct noise coming from inside the camera.

Anyone else?

Brad
It is normal - your SR is on and adjusting electromagnets to compensate any movements and to keep the sensor in proper position - this is generating lowish hum.
12-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
It is normal - your SR is on and adjusting electromagnets to compensate any movements and to keep the sensor in proper position - this is generating lowish hum.
So it's not the HVAC for the magic pixies inside my camera then?
12-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
So it's not the HVAC for the magic pixies inside my camera then?
You never know - it might have an alter-ego :P

12-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes, its the SR and live view (and the K-01 is constantly in live view, its not a DSLR). More help here:
15 Beginner FAQ's for Pentax DSLR Users - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Congrats on getting the camera, its great. Of course, like any piece of tech, it has a learning curve
12-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yes, its the SR and live view (and the K-01 is constantly in live view, its not a DSLR)
It's a DSLM (Yeh, I know Panasonic coined that term, but I like it)
12-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It's a DSLM (Yeh, I know Panasonic coined that term, but I like it)
Hehe, yes, and also CSC (compact system camera), ILC (interchangeable lens compact), EVIL (electronic viewfinder, interchangeable lens,.. so many labels for the same thing!
12-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ah, but in the case of the K-01 it is not really any of those don't you agree? It's certainly isn't compact, so CSC and ILC are out. And it doesn't have an EVF so this disqualifies it as an EVIL..

12-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think its pretty compact. The brick shape makes it fit into bags easily and when you mount a pancake lens (which Pentax has a couple of), its as compact as many smaller cameras, which require bigger lenses. To each their own
12-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I'm a k01 fan and I make some humming noises from time to time. It's normal. Or at least I keep trying to tell myself that.
12-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Full-frame fans seem to make a lot more noise than K-01 fans...

Seriously though, my K-01s all make a slight humming sound, but I have to literally put my ear against the body to hear it if there is any ambient noise at all. I seem to recall at least one case where someone had a body where the humming was louder, and they either got it repaired or returned it and got a replacement that was (to their perception) quieter. So it's not impossible that there is an issue - but it could also be one of those things where once you notice it, you always notice it from that time on.
12-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
..it could also be one of those things where once you notice it, you always notice it from that time on.
Which is why I'm NOT checking my K-01 !!!