Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

what pentax needs to do for K-02

I've stated what I thought pentax should do for a K-02 before but I just thought of something new. To recap, I had stated that the body would stay pretty much the same. I'm actually a fan of how it looks. I also don't think it needs an EVF but I'm sure there's still a lot of pentaxians that need their optical fixation so maybe a detachable hot shoe one. It would be very focused on video. It would have phase detect af with a very good and accurate continuous AF aimed for video. And that it would would have a brand new SR that would be similar or better than what Olympus is using. Also it would be weather sealed. Now I would like to add what just occurred to me. That is, that the K-02 on top of what was previously stated would be the long awaited FF pentax camera. Yes that's right! And it will use the 12mp sony sensor from the A7s. What do you guys think?

01-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the K-02 IMO:

Same weight, smaller body, has a viewfinder. But it addressed the K-01's flaws without much of a selling point of its own.

IMO, a DSLR/ILC is a traditional type of camera that should appeal to a traditional crowd. So yes, video features, autofocus, weather sealing, and handling would all be areas where Pentax could make improvements and score big as a result.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what they come up with...I just hope it isn't mirrorless, because the K-mount is at the heart of the Pentax system, and it's not exactly mirrorless-friendly. That translucent mirror idea currently being discussed in the news & rumors forum, in the other hand, would be an entirely different story.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2015, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For those of us who need reading glasses to compose on a rear monitor, not having a viewfinder is an absolute turn-off. Either I wear my glasses and can see the screen, with the distance out of focus, or I leave the glasses off and can see my subject directly but not on the monitor. No thanks! No way! Not ever!
01-02-2015, 12:48 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
what pentax needs to do for K-02
A design similar to what Fuji and Olympus are doing.

01-02-2015, 03:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I kind of agree with Adam, though I do wish Pentax would have another go at mirrorless, with XS lenses.
I think the K-01 is a great product, but mirrorless cameras developed a lot since then. With just a little more polishing it could be a real gem.
01-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
For those of us who need reading glasses to compose on a rear monitor, not having a viewfinder is an absolute turn-off. Either I wear my glasses and can see the screen, with the distance out of focus, or I leave the glasses off and can see my subject directly but not on the monitor. No thanks! No way! Not ever!
An electronic viewfinder addresses this issue directly, and it will even 'gain up' to let you use it in lower light when the old optical viewfinder is of no use. And you can digitally zoom in on the viewfinder and use focus peaking in the viewfinder, allowing far more accuracy than you presently can achieve with manual focussing via an optical viewfinder.

S/R wise, Pentax have to stop that (expletive) horrible movie S/R crap. Give us back what we had in the K-5 series for a bloody start. Walk before we run styles...
01-02-2015, 04:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

There's going to be a lot of wishing going on here for a K2, but one thing's for sure if it doesn't have an EVF built in to the camera it's as dead as a DoDo, with so many alternative cameras with one, who's going to choose a camera where yo pay loads for an add on?

01-02-2015, 04:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

We'll never see another APS-C MILC from Pentax..

(Now Pentax....prove me wrong in 2015 )
01-02-2015, 06:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
There's going to be a lot of wishing going on here for a K2, but one thing's for sure if it doesn't have an EVF built in to the camera it's as dead as a DoDo, with so many alternative cameras with one, who's going to choose a camera where yo pay loads for an add on?
They could include it like the Nikon V3

---------- Post added 01-02-15 at 05:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
We'll never see another APS-C MILC from Pentax..

(Now Pentax....prove me wrong in 2015 )
No not aps-c. FF

---------- Post added 01-02-15 at 05:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is the K-02 IMO:

Same weight, smaller body, has a viewfinder. But it addressed the K-01's flaws without much of a selling point of its own.

IMO, a DSLR/ILC is a traditional type of camera that should appeal to a traditional crowd. So yes, video features, autofocus, weather sealing, and handling would all be areas where Pentax could make improvements and score big as a result.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what they come up with...I just hope it isn't mirrorless, because the K-mount is at the heart of the Pentax system, and it's not exactly mirrorless-friendly. That translucent mirror idea currently being discussed in the news & rumors forum, in the other hand, would be an entirely different story.
So far this feels like the spiritual successor to the K-01 but for me it was missing on very important feature which was audio out. I also would like to still have no mirror + k-mount

---------- Post added 01-02-15 at 05:25 AM ----------

I prefer mirrorless because we don't get mirror slap with it and also if you add the PK-MM mount on it you can add Minolta lenses without having to saw off the long thing on the back of their lenses

Adaptist - Home
01-02-2015, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
S/R wise, Pentax have to stop that (expletive) horrible movie S/R crap. Give us back what we had in the K-5 series for a bloody start. Walk before we run styles...
What is "S/R"? Search and Rescue?
01-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
What is "S/R"? Search and Rescue?
Might as well be.

Shake reduction = sensor shift technology that has been present on pentax cameras since the k100d (?)

Pentax have stopped using it in video mode and appear to be offering software image manipulation instead of using the sensor shift shake reduction process of the k-5 family. Their new crappy offering is called movie sr.
01-02-2015, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Who knows if they will make a K-02? It would cannibalize the Pentax Q series, in which they are heavily invested. I think they decided not to compete in the performance mirrorless market, since Sony and others were way ahead. Instead Pentax went for compactness and low price with the Q. Unfortunately, with a tiny sensor the Q image quality can never come close to the cameras with APS or M43 sensors, so it does not interest me

It's apparent that Sony and others are ferocious competition in the performance mirrorless market. I think that's why Pentax is wary of upgrading the K-01. Still, I wish they would. This is a huge market which they ignore.

The good thing about the K-01 was it used K mount lenses, The bad thing was focus was much too slow. So if they could keep the K mount compatibility but speed up the focus, that would make it a much better product. I'm afraid they would just add useless features, instead of fixing the main problem. To go to Phase Detect auto focus, they would need a new focus mechanism. I think Sony went to the fixed partially silvered mirror on the SLT series to get faster autofocus. It had other benefits, but that was a key to faster focus. Maybe there are other technologies that work too. I sure hope they take another swing at this.
01-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowhands95128 Quote
Who knows if they will make a K-02? It would cannibalize the Pentax Q series, in which they are heavily invested. I think they decided not to compete in the performance mirrorless market, since Sony and others were way ahead. Instead Pentax went for compactness and low price with the Q. Unfortunately, with a tiny sensor the Q image quality can never come close to the cameras with APS or M43 sensors, so it does not interest me

It's apparent that Sony and others are ferocious competition in the performance mirrorless market. I think that's why Pentax is wary of upgrading the K-01. Still, I wish they would. This is a huge market which they ignore.

The good thing about the K-01 was it used K mount lenses, The bad thing was focus was much too slow. So if they could keep the K mount compatibility but speed up the focus, that would make it a much better product. I'm afraid they would just add useless features, instead of fixing the main problem. To go to Phase Detect auto focus, they would need a new focus mechanism. I think Sony went to the fixed partially silvered mirror on the SLT series to get faster autofocus. It had other benefits, but that was a key to faster focus. Maybe there are other technologies that work too. I sure hope they take another swing at this.
Welli wouldn't say that the k-02 and the q serious would cannibalize. If that was true they would've never made the k-01 to begin with. They could use on sensor phase detect
01-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Sony have been doing their nex and now alpha mirrorless line for years now, and are now many iterations down the track of mirrorless design and implementation. The others will need to start their journey, or restart/continue it again soon.
01-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Image IQ aside, the K-S1 seems like a stop-gap half-baked fund-raising release to me.
There's so much missing from a 2014 release DSLR it's not funny.
If the price dropped to AUD$199 I'd buy one for fun, but it's not even in the ball park at release or even current pricing.
I certainly don't consider it to be a K-02. Pentax have had enough feedback from the K-01 community to know exactly what they'd need to do for a successor.