Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #16

Also don't forget how the focus it works. If by mistake the focus point is in an not contrasty area than it will be a miss. Also I'll keep the DA 35 Ltd.

01-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Have purchased a used DA40 XS for $95 from KEH and a Yashica finder for $16 on ebay. I will take any suggestions on pre-settings for street photography with this set up. Have already stopped my bracketing, which should speed things up.

Mike
01-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #18

Hi Mike.
Your new lens, it is a great lens ( IMO ). Will focus fast. Mine is sharp enough wide open.
But for street personally I will prefer something like 15mm LTD, 21mm Ltd, or the A 28mm and sometimes maximum 35mm.
I will use zone Focusing or hyper focal focusing using focusing tab for the lenses listed before.
Cheers
01-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First of all: is the firmware up to date....................that does make a difference.

The K-01 needs a fast lens to get light to the sensor.

For street, you have the 31mm, so that could do the job.

What I do:
- I use the smalles AF area and preset it to the place I want the image to get the focus on the scene I want. So I'm taking the image in my mind first and then take the image. With a fast lens like FA31 and FA*85 it does work nice when there is lught. In dark it does it's job less then the K-3 can.

01-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
First of all: is the firmware up to date....................that does make a difference.
+1.
Mike - in case you haven't done a firmware update before, please follow the instructions provided step by step. It's a very simple and quick process but one mistake can "brick" the camera.
01-20-2015, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Another tip...shoot square format and place the AF focus box 1/3 from the right edge and 1/3 from the top edge. If you need to move it to the left third, simply rotate the whole camera 90 degrees counter-clockwise (I.e., portrait mode with the shuutter and grip on top. You can get most of your shots like this, never having to tap tap tap to move the focus point.
01-21-2015, 06:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
+1.
Mike - in case you haven't done a firmware update before, please follow the instructions provided step by step. It's a very simple and quick process but one mistake can "brick" the camera.
Firmware up to date.
01-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Truth to be told, no matter how you turn it around, the AF for K-01 will never win you any prizes. It is slow...ish compared with other mirror-less.
It works if you have good light and it will still slightly hunt because that's how the contrast detection works. It works the best with its kit lens since it was build specifically for it. Unfortunately, since camera was a financial flop, Pentax dropped any other plans to do any other lenses for it.

Also, manual lens and hyper-focal focus will work very nice and fast for street photography.

01-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Truth to be told, no matter how you turn it around, the AF for K-01 will never win you any prizes. It is slow...ish compared with other mirror-less.
I'm not trying to win any prizes, just trying to help the OP use the gear that he has.

QuoteQuote:
Also, manual lens and hyper-focal focus will work very nice and fast for street photography.
Yup.
01-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It works if you have good light and it will still slightly hunt because that's how the contrast detection works. It works the best with its kit lens since it was build specifically for it. Unfortunately, since camera was a financial flop, Pentax dropped any other plans to do any other lenses for it.

Thank your for the encouragement and the candor. I think you are right. I love the feel of this camera, but it is failing as a simple auto focus point and shoot for my wife, (one of the reasons I bought it) and I am having to work at it for anything that requires speed in the decision making. However, I am going to work on it, because the alternative is moving to a A6000 or a GX7 or similar, and I don't want to deal with the thought of more lens investment.
01-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm not trying to win any prizes, just trying to help the OP use the gear that he has.
Sorry John, that comment was not directed towards you... didn't meant to offend anyone, so please don't get upset .
I was just adding my experience with the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Thank your for the encouragement and the candor. I think you are right. I love the feel of this camera, but it is failing as a simple auto focus point and shoot for my wife, (one of the reasons I bought it) and I am having to work at it for anything that requires speed in the decision making. However, I am going to work on it, because the alternative is moving to a A6000 or a GX7 or similar, and I don't want to deal with the thought of more lens investment.
I love the K-01 and I have one myself as well and I know its weaknesses very well. That's why I will always keep on saying that the K-01 is best used with manual prime lenses and applying the hyper-focal focus with them. If you know how to use that trick, it is faster than any AF out there. Is basically a matter of lifting the camera, framing and shoot .

But if AF is a big thing for you, then honestly, you need a better camera. The A6000 or GX7 will just humiliate the K-01 at AF and subject tracking.

Personally, I still love the K-01 and is fun to use.
In the end, get what you need and enjoy taking photos, that is the most important part!
01-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry John, that comment was not directed towards you... didn't meant to offend anyone, so please don't get upset .

I love the K-01 and I have one myself as well and I know its weaknesses very well. That's why I will always keep on saying that the K-01 is best used with manual prime lenses and applying the hyper-focal focus with them. If you know how to use that trick, it is faster than any AF out there. Is basically a matter of lifting the camera, framing and shoot .

But if AF is a big thing for you, then honestly, you need a better camera. The A6000 or GX7 will just humiliate the K-01 at AF and subject tracking.

Personally, I still love the K-01 and is fun to use.
In the end, get what you need and enjoy taking photos, that is the most important part!
I will continue to work with the K-01. Just have to try and make it easy (easier) for my wife to use when she picks it up. I love the quality of images from it. It's a great back up for my K3.
01-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Yep, IQ wise, paired with the right lens, it has no flaws as far as I can see.
01-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

No offense taken. I do agree with you that it's not the quickest.

We're good.
02-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #30

Flash the latest firmware off Ricoh's www site. Early firmware had focus bugs -- SLOW. New firmwares resolve this as well ax some video improvements.