Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Praise in Vanity Fair for the K-01

The article says 2015 but I suspect it's a least one or two years old. FWIW, I won both clunkers mentioned in this story LOL.

QuoteQuote:
Or take the Pentax K-01, another unloved virgin, released only this February. Designed by Marc Newson, whose signature logo adorns the camera, the K-01 was a mirrorless model with a sweet APS-C sensor and packaged as a kit with a terrific pancake lens. (Pentax lenses have never gotten the hey-nonny-nonny of Leica or Zeiss glass but Pentax makes some dazzlers.) If the V1 was underdesigned and specc'd, the K-O1 was overbaked: a weighty, bulky camera with no EVF, not even an attachable one, and whose dials and choice of colors suggested a Tonka Toy with a lens. Personally, I found the blocky retro design intriguing, in part because of its almost lovable clunky chunky dorkiness and rejection of Apple-era snob cred, but a heavy camera hangs hard on the neck and that was a lot of money to pony up for a camera that might be a one-off, a corporate experiment that didn't pay off. As is apparently the case. No K-02 has been announced and the price of the original has plunged into the lower $400 range.

Which makes it attractive, considering that it takes the full range of Pentax K mount lenses and may be considered a collectible some day. I kind of want one, even though I can't justify it, but, really, what digital camera purchases can be justified?

Price Drop Jaw Drop | Vanity Fair

01-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Big and with contrast detect AF only, but produces really good images from the ones people have posted around here.
01-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The article says 2015 but I suspect it's a least one or two years old. FWIW, I won both clunkers mentioned in this story LOL.
The references to the recent release of the K-01 `this past February' and the `recently released' rx100 make it pretty clear that it is a digital reissue of a 2013 article. All the same, the advice is good - rushing out to buy the most recent release usually means spending an extra 10-15%, if not more. I bought the K-01 as a second K-mount body when the price dipped below $300. At that price, I can forgive its foibles and enjoy the excellent IQ.
01-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #4

...and let's not forget, I still feel the K-01 is the best Pentax for shooting video. Being able to use whatever mode you are in - and the settings - for shooting video is better than the K-3, which only uses a preset mode when you start shooting video. The K-3 is good for video, but I still think the K-01 is better.

01-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

And for short pancakes with QuickShift.
01-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And for short pancakes with QuickShift.
Even without quickshift - the K-01 pairs very nicely with the FA 43.
01-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Big and with contrast detect AF only, but produces really good images from the ones people have posted around here.
I don't mind the size at all (smaller than an Sony with an adapter), but, sadly, the CD only AF makes it work well for stationary objects and manual focus.
01-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Even without quickshift - the K-01 pairs very nicely with the FA 43.
Agreed. Used to be my go to combo. Still is on occasion.

01-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
...and let's not forget, I still feel the K-01 is the best Pentax for shooting video. Being able to use whatever mode you are in - and the settings - for shooting video is better than the K-3, which only uses a preset mode when you start shooting video. The K-3 is good for video, but I still think the K-01 is better.
I heartily concur. I've owned my K01 now for nearly two years. I'm continually impressed with the video quality it produces. In regard to its photo capabilities ... I rarely use my K7. I really like the square shape because any table top, fence rail, wall, lamp post, etc., is a stable base for long exposures.
01-14-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I do fully agree. I use support to ensure my photographs are clear and sharp as often as I can. The K-01 makes that as easy as I have ever seen next to my old Brownie.

But I do have to agree with his conclusions. $50 still buys you a nice K1000 kit and provides a viewfinder that makes my K5 look very sad. As long as you can find film you will be able to take pictures with a K1000 and that sweet, little, M 50/2 lens.