Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 03:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Need a viewfinder...

After some 6 months with my little Panda, it's become obvious that I need a viewfinder, at least for support with long lenses... also I've seen through one once and my life changed...

Budget: low (60 Euro-ish)

Shortlist:
Tarion TR-V1, 3.0"-3.2", no dioptric adjustment, 59.99 Euros:
TARION TR-V1 2.5x LCD Viewfinder Displaylupe Mirino con piastra a sgancio rapido per la LCD dimensione del display da 3,0 "a 3,2" DSLR come Canon 500D/550D/600D/650D/700D/60D/70D/5D Mark II/5D Mark III/6D/7D/7D2, Nikon D90/D7000/D7100/D5000/D5100/D52

SevenOak Sk-VF, 3.0"-3.2", basic dioptric adjustment, 58.99 Euros:
SevenOak SK-VF Pro1 3x Viewfinder Scree Magnifier Extender for Canon Nikon Olympus DSLR 3" 3.2" LCD Camera LF613: Amazon.it: Elettronica

Walimex Pro, 3.0", 66.66 Euros:
walimex pro Viewfinder easy View Displaylupe 3,0x: Amazon.it: Elettronica

I think the SevenOak could be an interesting proposition, anyone tried one? Zacutos etc sadly out of my reach...

02-03-2015, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Here is what I am using since 2013 - absolutely excellent kit - I can highly recommend it. Great clarity of view, very little distortion, built in dioptre. Good robust construction, solid metal mounting plate , easily removable with one thumb-screw. Best thing I ever bought for my K-01.

Capa 3.0x CineView Viewfinder Diopter V-finder magnify video DSLR Canon Nikon UK | eBay
02-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks like a nice alternative... too bad the seller's feedbacks are awful and it's not in sale on Amazon.it...
Will definitely look more into it.
02-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Looks like a nice alternative... too bad the seller's feedbacks are awful and it's not in sale on Amazon.it... Will definitely look more into it.
Well, I didn't notice - at the time of my purchase he had better standing if I remember. Anyway the item is great and really I am pleased with how it matches the K-01. Absolutely a-must if I go out with it in sunny day. good luck

02-04-2015, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

99.1% positive is awful!? Poor guy. Trouble with negative feedback on ebay is you only read one side of the story. If someone has 99.1% GOOD feedback with thousands of sales, then that certainly is not awful feedback..

I use a Hoodman Loupe3 on my K-01. I leave it handing around my neck then quickly bring it up to the LCD when I need it. Fast and super simple.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 02-04-2015 at 10:57 PM.
02-05-2015, 02:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
99.1% positive is awful!? Poor guy. Trouble with negative feedback on ebay is you only read one side of the story. If someone has 99.1% GOOD feedback with thousands of sales, then that certainly is not awful feedback..

I use a Hoodman Loupe3 on my K-01. I leave it handing around my neck then quickly bring it up to the LCD when I need it. Fast and super simple.
Well, not always... however you can see 64 negative and 51 neutral feedbacks only in the last month... that's not exactly good by ebay standards...
I had issues (which I managed to resolve, fortunately) with a seller which had less than 100% reputation, but much higher than this.

That's a viable alternative, but I'd rather have something more stable (fixed), to give me some support with long lenses.
02-05-2015, 02:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That's a viable alternative, but I'd rather have something more stable (fixed), to give me some support with long lenses.
Go for Capa you will love it ! It is very sturdy and you will not want to remove it from the camera :P One thing though, I forgot to mention. Although tolerances are nice and tight , there is slight angled narrow gap between the hood and the screen (maybe 1mm at its widest part at the bottom ) - What you often see in more expensive products is sort of foam or rubber sealing the surface of hood which goes against the screen - Capa doesn't have that. But I managed to cut thin strips from black adhesive foam - that made the connection with the screen light tight and also protects the screen from dust, etc..

I hardly ever take it off ;P
02-05-2015, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #8

I love the K-01, but had the same trouble you have, and after a lot of research, checking others feedback and recommendations, I decided to go with a "cheap" viewfinder, then upgrade to a more expensive one if I liked the cheap one. I bought a Xit XTLCDMVL Professional Locking LCD Viewfinder with 3.4X Magnification from Amazon.

Pro's: It fits well. It has a base that screws into the tripod mount, then the viewfinder simply slides on and off the base. No magnet or sticky stuff.
It fits the 3 inch screen perfectly, without blocking any of the buttons or controls on the back of the camera.
It provides a bright clear image even on the brightest day.
It's very light, it adds no extra weight to the camera, that's important if you carry the camera on a neck strap all day.
It cost me 28 dollars, and about 5 bucks for shipping.

Cons: You're looking thru a very cheap optical viewfinder, so the focus is sometimes off when you enlarge to 8x10 or more. But I almost always use the OK button or sometimes the focus peaking feature
anyway, so it seems to correct this problem.

I'll probably buy one of the more expensive Viewfinders somewhere later down the road, but for now, and for 28 bucks, this one does what I need done.

02-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #9

Hello

First, sorry for my English. No speak or write English and use google translator. So I read more than write posts.

I have a Pentax K3 and would like to buy a k-01. Also I would buy a viewer for the K-01

Viewing post links. The question I have is: All viewers are the same length? between the screen and the eye. Is there some smaller than others?

Thanks in advance for the reply and sorry for my English.

Greetings.