Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Indiana. Near Cincinnati
Photos: Albums
Posts: 109
Worth it to Pentax K5IIs owner?

This camera is available in a few places at a very attractive price. I have never before considered buying one as the size and introduction price just didn't make it all that attractive. Too bad they didn't go with a tilt screen. It might have changed the game for the K01.

Now that they can be had for a pretty low price, I have been looking again. The thing that I did not notice, or consider, before is the focus peaking feature. How useful is it? My experience with focus peaking has been varied, e.g. Sony focus peaking works great, and Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji focus peaking leaves a lot to be desired. How is the shutter noise? Is it lower than the K5 cameras? Is there a silent shutter feature? Is the IS better, or worse than the K5IIs?

I think the panda version is attractive, but size difference, considered alone, makes me hesitate. Is there any other feature of the K01, not obvious to the casual observer, that makes it worth having the camera in addition to the K5IIs?

Thanks

02-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
foto guy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vernon, Connecticut
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 276
I have both, and though the K-01 takes a great photo, it's awkwardness of use (for me) means it sits on the shelf most of the time. If you're a tripod shooter, it'd be fine. A tilt screen would have been a great addition, but wouldn't stop me from purchasing. It's better than K-5 IIs for video, though it doesn't autofocus.

I've recently picked up an Olympus XZ-2 and Nikon Coolpix A, both at really good prices. And I prefer both of them to the K-01 for the "fun-to-use" factor. The Olympus has a smaller sensor, but a tilt screen and some neat art filters. Since I'm not shooting important or paying events with it, or printing poster-sized prints, I don't worry about the smaller sensor. The Nikon has an APS sensor and great optics, albeit a single 28mm focal length, but is much easier to use because of its small size.

I suppose the question to ask yourself is: What am I getting with the K-01 that the K-5 IIs isn't giving me?
02-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Indiana. Near Cincinnati
Photos: Albums
Posts: 109
Original Poster
Thanks for the response. I had not realized the K01 had focus peaking. Learning of it peaked my interest. Unfortunately, I have learned that some varieties of focus peaking are not that great. The focus peaking is Sony E/FE mount cameras makes use of just about any legacy manual focus lens pretty easy and rewarding.

Thanks again
02-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,832
QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
Thanks for the response. I had not realized the K01 had focus peaking. Learning of it peaked my interest. Unfortunately, I have learned that some varieties of focus peaking are not that great. The focus peaking is Sony E/FE mount cameras makes use of just about any legacy manual focus lens pretty easy and rewarding.

Thanks again
Does the k5ii lack focus peaking?
My k50 has it. It helps but I still have problems with manual focus at times.

02-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Indiana. Near Cincinnati
Photos: Albums
Posts: 109
Original Poster
If the K5IIs does have it, I am unable to locate or activate. I have updated the firmware to the latest version.
02-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Posts: 1,234
The K5 ll models do not have focus peaking. I learned this long time ago using live view zoom to manual focus, it has served me well for a very long time. Oddly enough I am so used to doing it that way I didn't like the focus peaking feature when I had the K50, not to say it doesn't work well for others.
02-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Indiana. Near Cincinnati
Photos: Albums
Posts: 109
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The K5 ll models do not have focus peaking. I learned this long time ago using live view zoom to manual focus, it has served me well for a very long time. Oddly enough I am so used to doing it that way I didn't like the focus peaking feature when I had the K50, not to say it doesn't work well for others.
I have used focus peaking on an NEX 7, and now on the A7. It is convenient, but, at least in my experience, even when well implemented, not something that can be relied upon for razor sharp focus in manual. I've said it before, and I will say it again: Pentax seems to have installed a focus screen in the K5 models that really enhances ability to focus manual glass. I hope they stick with it.

The thought of getting a K01 is related mostly to fact that I have always liked that panda version, and the fact that they are going pretty cheap. I have seen them on display, but the intro price seemed prohibitive for what, to me, was an oddball camera. Knowing myself, I will likely go for it. DP review beat it up pretty bad, but with the proviso that it generated class leading images. Go figure.
02-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Halifax, UK
Posts: 120
Shutter noise; the general consensus is that the k5 series cameras have a more discreet shutter sound than the k01 (or in fact any other pentax DSLR).

Focus Peaking; I think the k01 works similar to my k30. It works, but the peaking is stuck at showing up as white which is often not the ideal colour.

In all honestly, there is little you will gain from owning both a k01 and a k5IIs. Focus peaking and video are the main two, but you could get better implementation of these features in another camera.

Not everyone gets the styling (I like it; it looks like a lego camera!), it's pretty much the size of a k30 minus the prism hump, and it's shape is often considered awkward to hold. That's why it tanked in reviews; fantastic picture quality, but it's effectively a dslr with a shed load of useful features removed (viewfinder, ergonomics, phase detection autofocus, etc).

For the right price, I'd pick one up. But more of a novelty and backup to my k30. The k30 doesn't have a mirror lock up feature, so the k01 could be better for long exposures on the tripod. Also, I think the K01 has a weaker AA filter and so it would be a little bit sharper.

I suspect a MX-1, a GR or a Q would offer a better compliment to your k5IIs, in different ways.

i'm trying to help you spend your money sensibly. But sensible isn't always fun! If you do pick up a k01, you want to get the Da 40 XS to go with it!

02-16-2015, 05:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian
PiDicus Rex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,126
I love my K-01, but realistically, you will get the same sort of results filming with a K-5IIs in most situations, and better vision when hand-held with the SR on.
(There's plenty of other discussions on why)

If the HDMI out on the K-5IIs does clean feed out during recording, then you'd be better off purchasing an external recorder that records to ProRes.

The much desired firmware fixes / feature requests might tip the balance back in favour of the K-01, but only just.
02-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Indiana. Near Cincinnati
Photos: Albums
Posts: 109
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
Shutter noise; the general consensus is that the k5 series cameras have a more discreet shutter sound than the k01 (or in fact any other pentax DSLR).

Focus Peaking; I think the k01 works similar to my k30. It works, but the peaking is stuck at showing up as white which is often not the ideal colour.

In all honestly, there is little you will gain from owning both a k01 and a k5IIs. Focus peaking and video are the main two, but you could get better implementation of these features in another camera.

Not everyone gets the styling (I like it; it looks like a lego camera!), it's pretty much the size of a k30 minus the prism hump, and it's shape is often considered awkward to hold. That's why it tanked in reviews; fantastic picture quality, but it's effectively a dslr with a shed load of useful features removed (viewfinder, ergonomics, phase detection autofocus, etc).

For the right price, I'd pick one up. But more of a novelty and backup to my k30. The k30 doesn't have a mirror lock up feature, so the k01 could be better for long exposures on the tripod. Also, I think the K01 has a weaker AA filter and so it would be a little bit sharper.

I suspect a MX-1, a GR or a Q would offer a better compliment to your k5IIs, in different ways.

i'm trying to help you spend your money sensibly. But sensible isn't always fun! If you do pick up a k01, you want to get the Da 40 XS to go with it!
Thanks for more great information. I especially appreciate the comments on shutter noise. I don't think I will order order one without getting a chance to handle it again.

Best regards
02-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
Pentax focus peaking doesn't work for me. I have it on the K-01, Q and K-50. I find I do better manually without it. Maybe it's the white colour or maybe I'm just not a FP kind'a guy. I've never tried it with another brand.
It would seem a simple matter to enable the user to select a preferred colour for peaking, in fact it seems like such an obvious thing I can't imagine why it was never done.
02-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,916
If you were looking at a K-01 but wanted a viewfinder, get the K-30 or K-50. K-30 is, essentially, a K-01 with an OVF. The K-50 is a K-30 in a slightly different shell with a, suspected, modified firmware.

The K-5 series are based on the older processor so none of those updated features the K-01 and above have. That said, I am in the same boat as Steve with respect to focus peaking. I owned a K-30 for a time and never really felt comfortable with the Pentax implentation of Focus Peaking. I ended up going to a K-5II and am much happier on the photo taking side.

and I figure if I wanted a video camera, I'd get a video camera... or, maybe even, a cheap canon kit and the magic latern firmware.
02-16-2015, 09:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian
PiDicus Rex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,126
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It would seem a simple matter to enable the user to select a preferred colour for peaking, in fact it seems like such an obvious thing I can't imagine why it was never done.
Da, selectable colour for Focus Peaking is useful on a colour veiwfinder or LCD - such as that found on my JVC HD-7.
The 'white' focus peaking is best on a Black&White viewfinder, such as is preferred by us ex-ENG types, and does offer superior focus sharpness compared to colour screens.

That the Focus Peaking function turns off when you press record makes it far less useful then it could be.


Question for the K-5IIs owners - does the HDMI output on your cameras work during recording, or does plugging a cable in to it force the camera in to playback-only mode? ( As it does on the K-01 )
And if it does work in record mode, can you switch off any overlays?
02-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If you were looking at a K-01 but wanted a viewfinder, get the K-30 or K-50. K-30 is, essentially, a K-01 with an OVF. The K-50 is a K-30 in a slightly different shell with a, suspected, modified firmware.

The K-5 series are based on the older processor so none of those updated features the K-01 and above have. That said, I am in the same boat as Steve with respect to focus peaking. I owned a K-30 for a time and never really felt comfortable with the Pentax implentation of Focus Peaking. I ended up going to a K-5II and am much happier on the photo taking side.

and I figure if I wanted a video camera, I'd get a video camera... or, maybe even, a cheap canon kit and the magic latern firmware.
Two of the main points of DSLR for video v Camcorder is lens choice and shallow to razor thin DoF.
Camcorder v DSLR for video is no competition because they aren't the same thing.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, feature, features, focus, k-01, k01, k30, k5iis, mirrorless, pentax k-01, pentax k5iis, post, price, shutter, size
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it worth upgrading K5 to K5iis? Maksat Tutan Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 11-07-2014 12:20 PM
Alaska Cruise - worth it to rent a K5iis / glass? RoxnDox Pentax DSLR Discussion 55 04-10-2014 07:56 PM
Is it worth it to switch to K-5 II for the sake of ultrasonic dust removal? rrstuff Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 12-26-2013 05:53 AM
Is it worth it to upgrade from kit lens to DA16-45 ? Ben E Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 05-26-2013 12:36 PM
K5IIs, is it worth the risk? slip Pentax DSLR Discussion 128 11-26-2012 05:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top