Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2015, 04:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-01 timelapse question

Hi there,

I'm considering buying a k-01 for doing timelapse video. I have a K3, but I find the shutter noise is a little loud during timelapse. I was wondering if any of you k-01 users could tell me if the k-01 had any kind of shutter noise while performing time lapse video?

More generally, they seem like pretty neat cameras, it's too bad pentax isn't developing more K mount mirrorless cameras.

03-12-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

K-01 has a shutter just like the K-3, but no mirror. But it's louder than the K-3, even in Interval Movie setting
03-12-2015, 05:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'm considering buying a k-01 for doing timelapse video. I have a K3, but I find the shutter noise is a little loud during timelapse.
Well, the question is, is it really the shutter noise? Because when a photo is taken, you hear the following noises: SR activates, aperture blades close down, mirror moves up, shutter opens, shutter closes, mirror moves down, SR deactivates, aperture blades go back into "wide open" position. (approximately that order) You can use 2 sec timer to hear the difference between mirror and shutter - with 2 sec timer, mirror goes up, then 2 sec later the shutter activates. And the other possible loud part is the lens - some lenses have loud aperture blades, especially older lenses with many metal blades.
The K-01 has no mirror, but it still has shutter and it still moves the aperture blades.
Now, the top tier Pentax cameras (K-5 series, K-3) tend to be more quiet than the lower tier cameras.
But what kind of timelapse do you need? If the camera will be in a box out in nature, the sound won't be a problem. Or if it is in a city, it wont be a problem. But if you are recording audio right next to it, it might be picked up
03-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hey Na Horuk, good points. What got me thinking last week was a time lapse I set up for a little video production. We had to turn the camera off, it was too noisy with it's muted click every 2 seconds. Got me thinking, for other timelapses where it would be nice to have a quieter camera would be useful and more discrete. Thanks for the insights about the k-01!

03-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can buy a used K-01 and sell it at a minimal loss if it doesn't work out. A lot of people fall in love with the K-01 once it is in their hands. I can vouch that the K-01 looks much better in real life than it does in photos; and it has the great 16MP sensor without AA filter. Sharp photos, good ISO performance!
Though, the K-01 now sells used for a higher price than it did brand new for a while. Its a bit of a cult camera. I think you can still buy it new in Japan (the white and blue version)