Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is the K-01 the perfect holiday camera?

I mean... it's small, I would rather bring this one than a DSLR in a risky environment (cheaper & less eye-catching), awesome quality, no need to move it to your eyes to see through the viewfinder (which is, OTOH, a must if you use long lenses), light so no neck strain...

I've used for two major trips since I bought it, and in countless photo outings, but I find it much more suited for the first task than the second.
When I go taking pictures, I almost invariably carry many lenses, a tripod and the lcd viewfinder.
When I went abroad, I only took the 40mm the first time and the 18-55 the second time. Never for a sec missed having another lens. Well... maybe just that fast fifty for night shots!
It also fits into a fanny pack so it stays under the down jacket so potential thieves can't see it.

In short, while it's a capable picture-taking tool, I found that it's my favourite holiday camera!

03-30-2015, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...less eye-catching...
Oh, you must not have bought the yellow one. lol
03-30-2015, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

The K-01 is a great boxy camera. I love the boxy shape which is great and replace a tripod in many situations.

I found that the K-01 works nicely with a pancake lens (DA15, DA40). In large cities, I tend to prefer the DA15mm. In other situations, the DA18-135mm works well with the K-01.

A drawback is the lack of WR. In very bad weather, I prefer to use my K-3, but I have ample experience with foul weather.

I think that my own experience adds and supports your choice..
03-30-2015, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think it's less Eye catching in so much that it doesn't look like a serious piece of photography gear. I almost feel silly with it when I'm around lots of people using very expensive looking full frame Nikon and Canon cameras, though I guess it has its benefits.

---------- Post added 03-30-15 at 09:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
A drawback is the lack of WR. In very bad weather, I prefer to use my K-3, but I have ample experience with foul weather.
Even if the the K-01 isn't WR, I'd trust it in light rains.

03-30-2015, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love the K-01 with primes for travel. It's such a compact and versatile kit. The only problem is that when I'm with family, I don't have time for the lens changes, so a zoom is useful. With zooms I prefer a DSLR. But if I'm by myself and have the time to switch lenses without holding other people up, I like the K-01.

My WR solution is an umbrella. With a small AF prime lens attached, it can be mostly used with one hand, and the innovative umbrella solution also keeps the user dry.
03-31-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
...Panda!

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I tend to prefer the DA15mm.
I believe I'd prefer that one as well if only I had it!

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think it's less Eye catching in so much that it doesn't look like a serious piece of photography gear.
Yup, a colleague of mine said it was a "toy camera"...

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I love the K-01 with primes for travel. It's such a compact and versatile kit. The only problem is that when I'm with family, I don't have time for the lens changes, so a zoom is useful. With zooms I prefer a DSLR.
I believe the K-01 Achille's heel is with long/big/heavy lenses, if not using an lcd viewfinder, because of the use of live view and the intrinsically less stable position.
I had no issues with the 18-55 WR, which is quite light and compact, taking even 0.5" pictures at 18mm at arm's length.
The new collapsible lens must be a blast with it, though...
03-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I would say yes but the battery life is the weak spot in the K-01.
Say what?
I recharged it like one or two times in 10 days and 800+ pictures, and I didn't even bother bringindg a charger the last time, shooting 250+ pictures.

Maybe it's a little less than your average DSLR, but it blasts away AA powered DSLRs, compact cameras and mobile phones...
So no complaints for me there! ;-)

03-31-2015, 11:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Compared to my K5 it is much worse in battery life. But I think the image quality might be slightly better. Maybe my batteries suck.

But I still use and enjoy it and it is in the running for my spring break camera.
Granted, it might be worse, also because it constantly uses live view, while on a K-5 you have the option not to.
But we're talking about holiday cameras, not pro-work cameras, and 400+ shots is not bad at all...
04-01-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I'm planning on taking my smurf K-01 with HD DA 20-40mm lens for the holiday trip in may. Maybe a bit more eyecatchy since the colors look bright.
04-01-2015, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-01 is an April Fools joke gone horribly right.
04-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I'm planning on taking my smurf K-01 with HD DA 20-40mm lens for the holiday trip in may. Maybe a bit more eyecatchy since the colors look bright.
Mouth-watering combo.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The K-01 is an April Fools joke gone horribly right.
Haha! I like that definition!
04-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Perfect for day hiking as well as yesterday's hike shows. F35-70 is a go to on the "Brick."
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo