Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
I think if you shoot Pentax, owning a K-01 is a no brainer considering how cheaply they can be bought for nowadays. It probably would have been much more successful if the original selling price wasn't so high. It was my first Pentax before I upgraded to the K-5IIs, but I still use it when I want to travel light. I personally love the boxy look, and I find that shooting under sunny conditions isn't a problem for me (I live in FL). In those very sunny situations I usually just shoot multiple photos and then pick the best one later. Or you could get a HoodLoupe.

It's also the perfect camera for testing out old manual lenses which can be found cheaply on eBay (my LBA is still in full force lol). Focus peaking is SO useful. Also, some see the lack of a viewfinder as a deal-breaker, but I find it forces you to think differently and come up with more creative angles.

K-01 + 40mm XS is a match made in heaven, and the perfect travel kit in my opinion along with the DA 18-135. I'm sure you will love it!

04-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think K-01 gives me the best image files of all my Pentax cameras. That sensor is awfully hard to beat. I use it almost exclusively with DA40 Ltd. now but it is a neat package with a 35/2 and DA77 too - and of course my elderly manual focus lenses.

I don't have many issues with the LCD. I wear a floppy brim hat.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-11-2015 at 04:59 AM.
04-11-2015, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

OH yeah, regarding the LCD.. many people use a LCD loupe or shade. I never found that to be necessary, you just have to make sure that bright sun isn't reflecting off your face onto the screen. A hat with a shield, brim is really useful for this, and a good idea to wear on super bright days anyway.
And you can switch the brightness of the LCD to maximum or whatever is appropriate.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-11-2015 at 05:25 AM.
04-11-2015, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. My K-01 arrived a few days ago however it has been raining here in Michigan non stop. All I have right now is some shots of my dogs in the house. So far I am very happy with the camera and with my purchase. I am glad I was able to purchase one from a forum member since mine is basically brand new and came with all the original items. I have not found the camera to be award to use or cumbersome. I will admit that the green button seems to be in an odd place but that is just something you get used to. After I get to use the camera some more I will post more, thanks again everyone.

Here are some shots with my K-01 and the DA 50 1.8

F1.8 wide open 1/30 ISO 200 Aperture priority
[IMG][/IMG]

F1.8 ISO 200 1/125 Shutter priority And yes she is a dog.
[IMG][/IMG]

F1.8 ISO 200 1/30 Aperture priority
[IMG][/IMG]