Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just purchased a K-01

I purchased a K -01 from a forum member here and am anxiously waiting for it show up. I know lots of people have trashed this camera which probably makes me want it even more. I have always been one to root for the underdog, I have been shooting with a Pentax for the last 30 years after all. When I first saw the K-01 I thought what a great idea. I can shoot all the current DA and legacy lens on smaller mirrorless camera. There is no other camera like it. I felt so alone. I really just want something smaller that I can take on walks downtown that will not weigh my neck down like the K3 does. I love my K3 but boy does that thing get heavy after awhile. From the photos I have seen I know this camera is more than capable of delivering the results I want. I am sure there will be a learning curve like all new cameras have. Most likely I will use my DA 35 2.4 or DA 18-135 to start out, the DA 35 seems perfect since it is so light. I think I will invest in a view finder cover to help some in the bright light. I have not seen too many options out there. If anyone has suggestions I am more than happy to hear them. I it will be fun to try something different than the traditional DSLR.

Michael

04-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

The K-01 is a great boxy camera with excellent IQ. I love the boxy shape which is great and replace a tripod in many situations. The K-01 works nicely with a pancake lens (DA15, DA40). In many situations, I use the DA18-135mm which works well with the K-01. The DA35mm should be a great choice IMHO.

One drawback is the lack of WR (for me). I have ample experience with foul weather; in very bad weather, I prefer to use my K-3 or even my older K-7.

I think that my own experience adds and supports your decision. Go the K-01...

Last edited by hcc; 04-05-2015 at 10:57 PM.
04-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great camera. I think its reputation was trashed mostly by people who never used it. I like its looks and the fact that it has very good IQ. I will be taking it overseas with me later this year in preference to the K-3.
04-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
..Most likely I will use my DA 35 2.4 or DA 18-135 to start out, the DA 35 seems perfect since it is so light.
It may not be as small as a pancake lens but the DA35/2.4 is what essentially resides on my K-01 - great walk-around combo, IMHO.

04-06-2015, 12:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Way to go!!!

Snaps and short lenses - fine.
Long-ish lenses and direct sunlight - buy an lcd viewfinder ;-)
04-06-2015, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck

Great camera, and I am betting you will like it a lot since you are starting out with the right attitude. I like mine a lot, and the only real reservations are:

1. I keep bumping my nose on the permanently live view screen because I keep looking for the view finder.

2. It is difficult to focus the screen in bright sunlight.

3. The soft plastic cover plus metal fate for the memory card is a little fiddly to put back in closed position.

4. Unwieldy to use with longer, heavier lenses.

5. Despite the lighter weight, the brick, as we call it, does not offer any good hand grips.

The positive things are:

1. Fantastic K-5, K-5II image quality.

2. Cute looks (mine is yellow).

3. Smaller size and cuteness make it a good street camera because it looks less threatening to folks.

Advice:

1. Bring a dark head cloth to cover your head and the camera in bright sunlight. Well, there are some attachments for the camera that cover the screen and give you in effect a closed look at the screen, but this makes the camera larger and in effect negates the small size factor--a surmise, not based on actual experience.

2. Bring along an extra charged battery.

3. Use it with prime lenses and short zooms, but not long heavy zooms unless you are using a tripod.
04-06-2015, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
*snip*
Advice:

1. Bring a dark head cloth to cover your head and the camera in bright sunlight. Well, there are some attachments for the camera that cover the screen and give you in effect a closed look at the screen, but this makes the camera larger and in effect negates the small size factor--a surmise, not based on actual experience.

2. Bring along an extra charged battery.

3. Use it with prime lenses and short zooms, but not long heavy zooms unless you are using a tripod.
1. true, some of them are truly gigantic, but well worth the theater-like experience of manual-focusing on a "large" screen...
oh and if you do buy one, choose a proper one, not a 20-something dollar stick-on rubber cup. Not necessarily a Carryspeed (too expensive), but at least a rotatable one

2. I find that mine can withstand some 400+ shots before giving up, so it depends on how much you shoot!

3. a viewfinder can alleviate this but yeah, it's difficult to MF a heavy zoom, esp. in magnified live-view... AF better, tripod best.

04-06-2015, 01:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What color?
04-06-2015, 02:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got three excellent years out of my K-01, and now it has gone to a good home in Canberra.
The smaller size, boxy form factor, permanent live view and lack of noisy mirror gave it an edge over my high-end DSLR's for some applications. I really like the fact that it uses the D-Li90 battery.
04-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Brick Club. :-)
I love my K-01, it has a quirky design, but it is wonderfully original.
It loves my small primes and zooms even the 35-105 I have just bought.
The IQ is fantastic! enough said.
I have improved the handling of the camera by putting the neck strap on my (ahem) Nikon D50 instead, and replacing it with a Joby hand strap. Well worth it!
Non-photographers love the camera and think it is "really professional"
When you get used to it, it handles brilliantly, it really does.
04-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My K-01 was my first Pentax, and I sold it to buy a K-30 after only a few months.

Long story short, I bought another one about a year ago and I'm so glad I did. Fantastic pics and the whole process is so much fun, to boot. Magnified focus peaking is a godsend for some of my lenses.

A K-01 + DA 15 or 21 is très sexy, imho...
04-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
What color?
I purchased a yellow one, pretty much the color i wanted. The blue is nice but hard to find.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I am looking forward to using it and trying something new. I have used point and shoot digital cameras for years for things like camping where I just do not want to pack a big DSLR. I have never been real happy with the results, it will be nice to use a real camera for change. The lack of weather sealing does not bother me too much. Pentax cameras are tough and durable. If I really like it enough I will most likely pick up a 40mm pancake. Having a positive attitude going into something like this is only way to go, otherwise you are defeated before you even start.
04-06-2015, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Isn't it ironic how the K-01 is enjoying more success since it was discontinued..

It's becoming more and more plausible that a K-01 successor would be a good move by Pentax. Maybe with a full frame sensor, tilting screen and Sony A7s level video quality and features!?
04-07-2015, 04:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Congrats! Its a very capable little camera, sharp photos and good battery life! Enjoy
04-07-2015, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

There are walks where I just put the 40XS that came with it on or the 21ltd, and just drop it in my coat pocket.