Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First impressions of the K-01

I recently purchased a K-01 from a fellow forum member here in the marketplace about a week and a half ago. I really have not too much time to get out and use it. The weather here in Michigan has been not stop rain lately. I have however had a few chances to try it out. I am glad to say that I have been very happy with the results. So I thought I would go over some of the comments that people made about this camera.

*It is too heavy.
Abviously you have not used a K3 with a battery grip and a DA*16-50, that is heavy. The K-01 is light enough to carry around easily but still heavy enough to balance a decent telephoto zoom like the DA 18-135.

*The images are not sharp.
I have compared shots with the K-01 and my K3 both using the DA 35 and found it hard to really tell them apart. The images are crisp and the IQ is great.

*The focus is slow.
Well if I use my K3 in live view I find not a lot of difference there. With my DA 18-135 the k-01 focuses quick, sharp and virtually silent.

*The view finder is absolutely terrible.
I have been using point shoot digital cameras for years so I am used to using a LCD screen. I do not find the view finder to be that difficult to use. I do not have a LCD for it either. I have found the focus peaking to be helpful at times for this.

*The camera is bulky.
Well you have an APS-C sensor in a body that will accept all K mount lenses since 1975 without an adapter. How small did you think it would be? I think if the camera were much smaller it lose some of its versatility. Besides it uses the same battery as my K3. With a limited lens this thing has to be able to fit in a pocket.

The layout is all wrong.
I do have one complaint here. The green button just seems out of place. I have found the red button to be useful however to turn focus peaking on and off. Other than the green button I have not found too much trouble adjusting to were everything is.

*No TAV mode.
This is a Pentax thing. I believe most higher end cameras have it. I have it on my K3 and do miss it on the K-01. Does it ruin my experience with the camera? No, I switch between AV and TV modes depending on what I am shooting and what is more important. Depth of field or shutter time. If I need to made adjustments I can use exposure compensation or exposure bracketing.

Overall if you take the camera for what it is and for what is meant for I believe you will find a rugged little camera that can open up an entire new world. There is nothing else like it on the market. You show me a mirrorless camera with in body shake reduction, accepts lens going back 40 years without an adapter and has a 16 megapixel sensor that rivals many other cameras out there. There just is not anything like it. Is it the perfect camera? No it is not, but then neither is my K3. Learn the camera's weakness and build on what it does well. I am happy with my yellow brick and look forward to getting some great shots with it this summer. I also look forward to my K3 not breaking my neck on those long walks as well.

DA 50 1.8 @ 1/30 F1.8 ISO 200
[IMG][/IMG]

DA 35 2.4 1/80 F8 ISO 400
[IMG][/IMG]

DA 10-17 11mm F10 1/125 ISO 200
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Scorpio71GR; 04-18-2015 at 08:09 PM.
04-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auto ISO + manual mode = TAv!
04-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Well said! Enjoy your K-01.
04-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a yellow brick for my wife a year ago and now I use it more than her!

The K-01 has some things going for it including:
* It is still relatively small (for an interchangeable lens APS-C camera anyway)
* Exposure is pretty consistent (more so than K-5 with view finder I have found).
* AF may be a bit slow but its very consistent - focus is usually spot on.
* Images are a tiny bit sharper than the ones from my K-5 (which I still love) - probably due to a weaker anti-aliasing filter.
* I have grown to like the funky styling and certainly it attracts attention (although that could be a bad thing)

Its greatest weakness (for me anyway) is that lack of a viewfinder - I find it challenging to use outside on bright sunny days (theres a lot of trying to shade it with my hands!). But when indoors or overcast conditions, it does a great job.

04-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recall that AF definitely sped up with newer firmware - so anyone just getting a K-01 should check FW when it reaches them & update as needed
04-18-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can set ISO to be auto in M mode to get to TAv mode.
04-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As other have said, it actually has TAv mode, only without exposure compensation.
As for the button layout, I have long fingers so the position of the green is just slightly inconvenient, only gripe is that the strap attachments are in a position that doesn't allow the strap itself to move much, and it often depresses either the flash or the red button by bending on them...
Apart from that, it's a swell camera.
Oh, buy an LCD viewfinder/magnifier, it helps stability enormously with longer lenses, and is a joy for MF.
04-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #8

I like your post! Especially the comment about the battery. I bought a 2nd hand k-01 next to my k-5. Most of the time I just bring one camera, but always the battery of the other. Then I just love the looks of the camera. It doesn't scare people off

04-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Auto ISO + manual mode = TAv!
I will have to try that out, thanks! The DA 18-135 just seems natural on it, I love the combination and versatility.

---------- Post added 04-19-15 at 08:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
You can set ISO to be auto in M mode to get to TAv mode.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 04-19-15 at 08:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I recall that AF definitely sped up with newer firmware - so anyone just getting a K-01 should check FW when it reaches them & update as needed
I will have to check the firmware on mine. I have not thought of that yet, thank you. I really do not think autofocus is all that slow. I am just use to my K3.

---------- Post added 04-19-15 at 08:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vinni Quote
I like your post! Especially the comment about the battery. I bought a 2nd hand k-01 next to my k-5. Most of the time I just bring one camera, but always the battery of the other. Then I just love the looks of the camera. It doesn't scare people off
Using the same battery as my K3 was a great plus. I have four batteries and two chargers for my K3. Now I have five batteries and three chargers. I have heard some people complain about the battery not lasting long. I have not found that to be an issue. If you want to watch a battery go dead use the Bigma on a Pentax body with lens stabilization on. That just kills a battery.

Last edited by Scorpio71GR; 04-19-2015 at 05:46 AM.
04-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with everything you said. The K-01 is an underrated gem, and not just at the price it is going for. As far as image quality, there isn't a whole world between it and the K-3. On a different note - that's some terrible fringing there in that DA 10-17 shot!
04-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes the 10-17 does not seem to get along too well with my K-01. I took the same shot with it on my K3 and there was no fringing at all. So far I just been experimenting with different lenes. The DA 35 so far seems to be favorite along with DA 18-135. This is one from the DA 35.

This is one from the 10-17 that is better but it was just to windy out to get a decent shot.
04-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

enjoy your new K-01.
04-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have always enjoyed the K-01. Particularly with any of the limited primes.