Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

K-01 Odd behavior and noises when shaken

For a fairly long time now I've noticed that my K-01 struggles a bit when powered on. I have the dust removal option turned on at power-up and noticed that there can be a delay before anything happens. When it was new the activity was almost immediate when powering on or off.

Lately I noticed a fairly loud noise when lightly shaking the camera when its off. It sounds like something near the battery compartment is sliding around. The objects sound metallic but lightweight. What I'm wondering is if something related to the SR mechanism is loose, which might also be the cause of the struggle with the power-on dust removal.

I did notice that there is less shake noise when the camera is on. Maybe those noises are normal when the camera is off but I was never aware of them till now.

At the same time I noticed these noises, the K-01 was behaving strangely in a moderately dark room. No matter what settings or mode I had the camera in, the exposure information (aperture, shutter speed) were flashing red. I tried the camera in A and M modes and no matter how wide open the aperture or how slow the shutter speed, the live view was far darker than normal and would not brighter or darken in response as it usually would.

I tried removing the lens and re-attaching several times, removing and re-inserting the memory card, and removing and re-inserting the battery. None of this made any difference. I then went into the menu and reset the camera, which again, had no effect.

Taking the camera out into full daylight seemed to bring it back to normal. The effect indoors was almost like keeping the lens cap on. Focusing didn't work right at all though occasionally AF worked and the live view was at normal brightness.

Recently I had the camera and sensor cleaned. Other than that nothing has happened to it and only yesterday it took photos normally in daylight. I wonder is there's something loose in the SR or shutter mechanism that's causing this, based on the shake noises. Other than that I have no idea.

K

04-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krema Quote
For a fairly long time now I've noticed that my K-01 struggles a bit when powered on. I have the dust removal option turned on at power-up and noticed that there can be a delay before anything happens. When it was new the activity was almost immediate when powering on or off.

Lately I noticed a fairly loud noise when lightly shaking the camera when its off. It sounds like something near the battery compartment is sliding around. The objects sound metallic but lightweight. What I'm wondering is if something related to the SR mechanism is loose, which might also be the cause of the struggle with the power-on dust removal.

I did notice that there is less shake noise when the camera is on. Maybe those noises are normal when the camera is off but I was never aware of them till now.

At the same time I noticed these noises, the K-01 was behaving strangely in a moderately dark room. No matter what settings or mode I had the camera in, the exposure information (aperture, shutter speed) were flashing red. I tried the camera in A and M modes and no matter how wide open the aperture or how slow the shutter speed, the live view was far darker than normal and would not brighter or darken in response as it usually would.

I tried removing the lens and re-attaching several times, removing and re-inserting the memory card, and removing and re-inserting the battery. None of this made any difference. I then went into the menu and reset the camera, which again, had no effect.

Taking the camera out into full daylight seemed to bring it back to normal. The effect indoors was almost like keeping the lens cap on. Focusing didn't work right at all though occasionally AF worked and the live view was at normal brightness.

Recently I had the camera and sensor cleaned. Other than that nothing has happened to it and only yesterday it took photos normally in daylight. I wonder is there's something loose in the SR or shutter mechanism that's causing this, based on the shake noises. Other than that I have no idea.

K
The shaking when the camera is off is the shake reduction mechanism moving, because there is no power to the magnets to hold it in place.

When the exposure information is flashing red it indicates that you have reached the end of possible movement for that variable. If they are both flashing red it indicates that the scene you are trying to photograph is too bright or too dark and the brightness or darkness is outside the metering limits of the K-01's sensor.

Removing the lens, resetting the camera, or removing or replacing the memory card or battery won't help. The scene is just to bright, or in your case, too dark for the K-01 to meter the light level.

If you do need to shoot in dark situations, try increasing the sensitivity of the sensor by increasing the ISO value. You might be able to get a usable exposure value that way.

Hope the above helps.

Regards

Chris
04-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

SR rattling: Normal
Flashing in dark room: Normal if there's not enough light for the settings you currently have (proven by the fact it's normal in daylight). Iso was likely too low even for the widest aperture. Try Auto ISO and roll it up high and see what it chooses.
Alternatively put the camera mode dial on Auto.

Everything you wrote sounds normal to me.
04-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies.

It seems that I haven't been paying attention for the last 2 and a half years.

About the low light conditions I was in with the K-01, I have taken many long exposure shots with other cameras in the exact same conditions. The K-01 has some quirks about its operation and metering that kept me from trying it on a tripod or in low light conditions. I've set many cameras to M, timer, slow shutter speed, ISO 100 and set them on a table to produce clear shots. This was the first time I ever did this with the K-01 and it surprised me that it didn't work the same way.
I'll have to open the manual for once.

About the SR mechanism magnets, I was hoping it was something like this, and its great to know nothing is amiss. About the varying power-on times, that must also be normal, maybe depending on the battery charge at the time.

K

04-30-2015, 02:08 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krema Quote
I wonder if your lens aperture blades are stuck closed. Can you verify that the aperture is opening and closing, for example by doing a DOF preview (you may have to reassign the green or red button to do it)?

About the clunking noises while powered off, that's normal of all Pentax camera bodies with SR.