Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Spot metering with manual focus lenses

I'm not sure whether this is specific to the K-01, but that's the only camera I have, so... When I use a manual focus lens, there is - obviously - no af box on the lcd. But I wonder why a (passive) "spot meter box" isn't implemented to help with aiming? I know the spot meter is in the center, but with no aid, I'm never quite sure I'm dead on. Or have I missed something?

05-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
I'm not sure whether this is specific to the K-01, but that's the only camera I have, so... When I use a manual focus lens, there is - obviously - no af box on the lcd. But I wonder why a (passive) "spot meter box" isn't implemented to help with aiming? I know the spot meter is in the center, but with no aid, I'm never quite sure I'm dead on. Or have I missed something?
I'm not sure if the K-01 has this, but check the live view menu for a grid option. That should help you out with aiming and composing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah, thanks Adam, it does have the options. I forgot about them because I found they cluttered the screen when I first explored the menus two years ago, and I dislike composition aids. I'll try them again tomorrow.
05-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually keep the grid on, it helps with rule of thirds, diagonals, and centering. It feels cluttered at first, but you get used to it and know when to use it, when to ignore

05-07-2015, 01:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well the grid works just right for my purpose, and it's quite unobtrusive indeed! Silly me for being obtuse about it's cluttering power... Thanks a lot guys!