Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trying to make my K-01 into a fast sports camera, but --

As we know, the K-01 is painfully slow for sports photography. Had the bright idea this AM that I could use auto-focus to preselect a given spot, then switch to manual focus (in Manual mode with TAv) and blast away. but no. Yes, it works for the first picture... but then takes 5 to 10 seconds to write the file, show a quick preview of the results, then clear the screen and let me take a second shot. this is also happening in Av mode.

Why is the K-01 taking so long between shots? I'm using a 16 GB speed 4 SD card, and I checked that it's not set to HDR or multiple exposure or dynamic range, etc. Any ideas?

Edit -- just tried aain, seems to be a painfully slow write to the card, and I guess there's no buffer to help out? Also it is very slow both in Manual focus and Auto focus. And the battery has a full charge.

edit edit -- stupid me, had it on Interval Shooting by mistake, after using the self-timer earlier. Back now to my manual focus sports cam experiment!

Last edited by jon404; 05-17-2015 at 04:58 PM.
05-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like the write speed of your class 4 memory card is what is slowing things down. Try a class 10 with a write speed of 40 or 60 Mb/s and that should speed things up significantly. They are pretty inexpensive nowadays.
05-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Class 4 is mostly for low-end point & shoots.

You can get a 16GB UHS1 memory card for less than $13 nowadays (PNY 16GB Class 10 UHS-I U1 SDHC Memory Card P-SDH16U1H-GE)
05-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
I'm using a 16 GB speed 4 SD card, and I checked that it's not set to HDR or multiple exposure or dynamic range, etc. Any ideas?
You definitely need a faster card. Something with a 30 Mb/s (above class 10) write speed should exceed the capabilities of the camera. You can see the difference between a class 4 and a class 10 card in this video:

The Benefits of Fast SD Cards - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks -- will get a speed 10 card asap... also, turned off the Image Preview, and tried the auto to manual focus again... very fast now. But my error in having it on Interval Shooting was the real problem! Next, will go find some fast sports action to try it on, but that,s another day,s story...
05-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

will get a speed 10 card asap
Note the "speed 10" is really meaningless these days as actual card speeds have far exceeded the "class" designations set up years ago. You need a "class 10" card but that card could really have a speed of 10, 20, 45, 90 or even more. For example I use SanDisk Extreme Pro cards, all are "class 10" cards but my older ones are rated at 45mb/s and the newer ones at 95mb/s. I would suggest a card with a 45 mb/s rating. That is likely somewhat faster than the k-01 can write but makes certain the bottleneck is not the card.
05-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good! Now comes the REAL problem... using my SUPER FAST K-01 on some likely ladies' beach volleyball game... "Hi, girls, I'm Ron Hendricks!" He says he uses a K-5 for those action pix ... but we know better ... his Yellow K-01 is his secret 'go-to' camera for those beautiful shots!

05-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Went out looking for action sports at sunset with the K-01, no luck, too late in the day. Drove by the Mormon Cathedral off I-5 here in San Diego, and a shiny metal-plated business building.

Then, at the shore when the sun went down, took a picture of a southbound train. Overexposed for the sun area, underexposed for the land. RAW > Lightroom. Made three copies... one exposed correctly for the sun, a second exposed for the middle part of the sea, and the third with the shadows brought up as much as I dared for the land and the train. Composited all three together using Xara Graphic Designer... fading each into the next. Original and result below. Comes out OK in color, too.

Before I became a RAW convert, I would have tried to take an identical image -- exposing for the land, with a graduated ND filter to knock back the bright sun. This is a lot easier!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo   

Last edited by jon404; 05-17-2015 at 10:51 PM.
05-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes -- will go back and check those settings. Got a faster #10 card, and, as you said, turned off Instant Review. Strange how settings that buyers demand-- like instant review -- can really turn a delightful camera into a frustrating experience.

For me, it is interesting to compare the K-01 with the K-5 IIs. Apples and oranges of course... but the K-01 has a few advantages. Like how you HAVE to gaffer-tape a loupe on the back to see that screen in any light... and then, suddenly, you have this amazing 3" EVF viewfinder. The simple K-01 design makes it very easy to use without thinking, particularly if you are on Manual/Tav. It is ALMOST as good as the K-5 for ergonomics... the K-5 has a much better grip, very well-thought-out control placement... but using the Picture Review button is a pain. Lastly, image quality is about the same, unless you are a serious pixel-peeper, when you'll probably find that the K-5 IIs has an advantage. But in my real world, taking RAW images that go into Lightroom anyway... both cameras are superb, and probably so because just about every Pentax lens is superb, as far as color etc.
Anyway, thanks all for the help. Will keep looking for something fast to photograph, and see if my sped-up K-01 can do that now!
05-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I was out yesterday trying to do birds with my K-01, A-400 and F 1.7 TC.

The results

Two almost keepers.....

From the day before with the K-3

In total 20 keepers in about the same amount of time. I'm not saying it can't be done.... in fact it can, but, there are better options.
05-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, you're right about the K-3 being better for birds -- particularly when they take off and fly around. With the K-01, I would have to give them birdseed laced with Valium to get them to slow down.

Beautiful pictures!
05-19-2015, 06:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks -- will get a speed 10 card asap... also, turned off the Image Preview, and tried the auto to manual focus again... very fast now. But my error in having it on Interval Shooting was the real problem! Next, will go find some fast sports action to try it on, but that,s another day,s story...

and if the action is fast, don't forget to set the camera in exposure compensation mode. Just +/-0.3, and you will get a burst shot of 3 shots (even in RAW) (just remember, now it will blacked out for a few second before it writes away the 3 files)
07-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

"Class 10" actually won't exceed the K-01's write performance - the camera has an SD-XC controller, and will happily use UHS1 cards, which are faster again then class10.
I haven't tried the UHS3 cards yet.

For absolute speed, yep, turn off the image review, and swap to Jpeg only, manual focus, then use the Continuous Shooting mode (Page 106 of the Manual) to get the maximum number of frames per second.
07-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Who needs to shoot fast when you can get it right the first time haha.

(Joking)

07-02-2015, 11:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Love the baseball shot ZombieArmy.

Like how you HAVE to gaffer-tape a loupe on the back to see that screen in any light...
Never had to do that,... most I've ever had to do is shade it a bit.
I've had friends with Canon's comment how easy the K-01 screen is to use compared to their cameras.
And you don't want to know how bad the BMD Pocket and CC screens are in daylight.
The K-01 might be a 'bad' screen for us, but believe me, it's miles ahead of the competitions models for the same manufacturing cycle (which was 2012 IIRC)
The current Sony's are a fraction better in daylight, but also a lot sharper due to resolution improvements - a heck of a lot has change with screens in the last two or three years.