Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

K-01 SR and focal length input do not work

I just updated the firmware on my camera to 1.05 but the problem in the title remains.

Some of the issues I had before were simple lack of knowledge and I hope that is the case again, but its possible something is electrically or mechanically wrong.

I first noticed a lack of SR with an adapted M42 lens. Using the menu or info settings only showed that SR was off. Turning on the camera did not bring up a request for focal length. I thought to try an actual K mount lens (the 50mm f2) and found that SR was on but again there was no request for focal length and I could not get a shutter release in M mode. With an AF lens mounted the camera functioned properly.

Maybe with K mount lenses there are pins or tabs that supply info to the camera, but I do remember using M42 lenses with SR. I tried removing and replacing the battery several times, but nothing changed.

I read in other posts about different drive modes affecting SR but I keepy my camera only in single shot mode.

K

06-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, we need some more information:

Have you enabled "Using Aperture Ring" in the custom menu (option 16)?
What sort of M42 adapter - the ring type that sits flush in the mount allows infinity focus, or the flanged type that covers the contacts on the mount?
What sort of M42 lens - if you are using the ring type adapter, can the rear of the lens touch the lens contacts, and is it metallic or painted/plated?
Which camera mode? (Av/Tv/M)

If you haven't seen this thread, I recommend reading it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
06-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
First, we need some more information:

Have you enabled "Using Aperture Ring" in the custom menu (option 16)?
What sort of M42 adapter - the ring type that sits flush in the mount allows infinity focus, or the flanged type that covers the contacts on the mount?
What sort of M42 lens - if you are using the ring type adapter, can the rear of the lens touch the lens contacts, and is it metallic or painted/plated?
Which camera mode? (Av/Tv/M)

If you haven't seen this thread, I recommend reading it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
As long as "Use Aperture Ring" is enabled for any adapted or manual lens, then SR should be possible. You don't even need to have a lens on the camera, actually.

So:

-- single shot drive mode
-- "use aperture ring" enabled
-- turn SR on (from the status/info screen) [if it was turned off, it will stay off until you turn it on again]

After you make sure it is on, you can turn the camera off/on again and it should ask for focal length (or you can enter it from the menu), but if SR is enabled at startup then it will ask. (I think the K-01 might ask even if it is not -- I suspect "use aperture ring" being turned off is the problem here).
06-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks

Its a good feeling to know that your only problem is ignorance.

Item #16 it was. When I was anxious about some other non-existent problems I reset all of the custom settings.

To my own credit I did study the manual but found one entry on page 100 about SR. There was no mention of the aperture ring setting on that page.

Thanks again.

06-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krema Quote

To my own credit I did study the manual but found one entry on page 100 about SR. There was no mention of the aperture ring setting on that page.
That setting is more about getting older lenses to work at all rather than just an SR thing...