Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

problems with K01

My K01 is fairly new (3 months) and I have a 50mm and an 80-200mm manual old M type lenses that I am using with it. I am aware that I will not be able to use auto focus with the adaptor in place but I'm having other trouble too. No matter what mode I put the dial on the viewfinder always says AV aperture priority automatic exposure (except movie and bulb mode). I can't change anything except iso and exposure. The shutter speed indicator on the viewfinder changes all by itself depending on what I am pointing the camera at. The f stop is constantly at f-- which I guess is normal when using old manual lenses. I am so confused. I signed up to take an online photography class and was so excited but this camera won't do any of the things the instructor tells me to do. It hasntaken some decnet pictures but they have seemed sort of by accident. Any ideas?

06-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the forums. The K-01 is a great camera. Goto your menu under Custom 3 then down to 16 change the setting on Using aperture ring to enable. That should Make it work. Then the camera will ask to the set focal length manually this for the shake reduction system.

---------- Post added 06-29-15 at 10:13 PM ----------

Here is a link to an article on using manual lenses on digital bodies.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
06-30-2015, 02:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your quick response and welcome. I have the aperture ring enabled. I should have said that in my first post. This seems to be a problem beyond that.
06-30-2015, 04:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marcie Quote
No matter what mode I put the dial on the viewfinder always says AV aperture priority automatic exposure (except movie and bulb mode).
Yeah, all modes default to Av, except for M mode with a fixed ISO. This is regular behaviour of manual lenses that don't have A setting on aperture ring.
So choose M on the mode dial and select an ISO number (not range). Then it should say M on the LCD and you will be able to choose shutter speed and ISO on the camera, and control the aperture on the lens itself. The camera will stop down to the selected value when you take photos. You can use green button for stop down metering and the camera will adjust the shutter speed.

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2015 at 13:22 ----------

Av mode has continuous metering and allows Auto ISO, but it never stops down the lens, it always shoots wide open (minimum f-number). This is not useful for most of photography, but it is useful for m42 lenses or if you want to shoot wide open.

07-01-2015, 05:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you so much. This really helps.
07-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum
You'll find plenty of passionate and helpful K-01 owners here.
Do make sure to look through the other posts, we've discussed the ins and outs of the K-01 many times over, and can solve most newbie issues.
You'll be glad to know it's a very reliable camera, and exceptionable flexible, with only a few issues, mostly in the video zone.
Check out the 'best K-01 photos' thread for inspiration.
07-03-2015, 05:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank y ou. I am loving it more every day as I get to know it better. I think it is the old lenses that were confusing me. But I think I have most of that figured out now. the forum has been very helpful.

07-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The K-01 does produce good results with classic primes. Worth the effort to understand the lenses.