Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 on a river boat tour.

I opted to use the K-01 over my K-3 strictly for the weight and size. I also chose to use the Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR and HD PENTAX-DA 55-300 mm F4-5.8 ED WR again to save weight. I still feel the K-01 didn't get the respect it deserved which is too bad because I think it stopped any further development of K-mount mirror-less in it's tracks. A DSLR most of the time is a better tool but I think they could have worked towards a smaller K-mount camera as well.

Paddle Wheeler on the Fraser | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

07-13-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S1 is essentially the same size/weight as the K-01. I think the main issue is that the removal of the mirror doesn't really make much of a difference in the case of the K mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2015, 02:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Cool blog and photos! I agree, the K-01 was a risky move for Pentax and it didn't pay off, but it was still an important step. It let them experiment with focus peaking, CD AF, live view, and its their first sensor without AA filter. Its a great camera, and I wish they would make a K-02, which would improve the couple of shortcomings.
Yeah, the K-S1 is very tiny and seems like a good camera, but there is still a difference between a DSLR and a mirrorless, in the way the camera functions. Any mirrorless has live view as "the alternative", not the main mode of operation. Its not optimized in the same way. I think mirrorless has a lot of potential, even with the relatively big register distance of the K-mount. Who knows, maybe the Q will grow a little bit more to try to fill this gap
07-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-S1 is essentially the same size/weight as the K-01. I think the main issue is that the removal of the mirror doesn't really make much of a difference in the case of the K mount.
I have had a K-20D, I now have a K-30, a K-01 and a Q-S1. I find that I use the mirrorless cameras much more often than the DSLRs. The absolute silence of operation with the K-01 and the Q-S1 is a HUGE plus for me, as is the live view and focus peaking. It's a different way of shooting. The K-01 would have been better if it had been laid out similar to a Hasselblad—flip-up screen on top, controls on the side, deeper from front to back than it was wide. What I'd really like to see a Q with a 1" sensor laid out like a Hassy, with horizontal and vertical cropping without turning the camera.

07-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
think they could have worked towards a smaller K-mount camera as well.
Not by much. K mount by definition has to be a fairly thick body. The lens mount has to be 45.46mm from the sensor.

Sony was able to make skinny full frame bodies by introducing a new mount with an 18mm flange distance. If you want to use any older Sony lenses on there, you have to have an adapter that adds another 28.5mm to the lens (Sony/Minolta A mount was 44.5mm).

Pentax released the Q, which has a flange focal distance of 9.2mm. That's their answer to a smaller camera.

That said, a K-01 mark 2 could happen with a thinner body if they used a flip out screen and didn't count that as part of the body measurement.

You can see what bits take up how much space on a cut in half body here: Pentax K-30 vs K-5 IIs Cross Sections - Photokina 2012 | PentaxForums.com
07-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
The absolute silence of operation with the K-01 and the Q-S1 is a HUGE plus for me
Interesting as I find the K-01 irritatingly noisy.
OK, it has no 'reflex' mirror to flap up and down, but everything else is really loud.
07-14-2015, 06:41 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Interesting as I find the K-01 irritatingly noisy.
OK, it has no 'reflex' mirror to flap up and down, but everything else is really loud.
Sorry, I meant the Q-S1 (with a manual lens.) The K-01 is quite audible but I find its shutter sound to be about 1/2 the volume and 1/4 the duration of my K-30.
07-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
I have had a K-20D, I now have a K-30, a K-01 and a Q-S1. I find that I use the mirrorless cameras much more often than the DSLRs. The absolute silence of operation with the K-01 and the Q-S1 is a HUGE plus for me, as is the live view and focus peaking. It's a different way of shooting. The K-01 would have been better if it had been laid out similar to a Hasselblad—flip-up screen on top, controls on the side, deeper from front to back than it was wide. What I'd really like to see a Q with a 1" sensor laid out like a Hassy, with horizontal and vertical cropping without turning the camera.
Ah yes, the loud shutter issue. Unfortunately Pentax's quieter shutters are only fitted on the K-7, K-5, and K-3 (quietest). The K-S1, K-30, K-S2, and earlier models are all very loud by comparison. It's a huge difference.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Not by much. K mount by definition has to be a fairly thick body. The lens mount has to be 45.46mm from the sensor.

Sony was able to make skinny full frame bodies by introducing a new mount with an 18mm flange distance. If you want to use any older Sony lenses on there, you have to have an adapter that adds another 28.5mm to the lens (Sony/Minolta A mount was 44.5mm).

Pentax released the Q, which has a flange focal distance of 9.2mm. That's their answer to a smaller camera.

That said, a K-01 mark 2 could happen with a thinner body if they used a flip out screen and didn't count that as part of the body measurement.

You can see what bits take up how much space on a cut in half body here: Pentax K-30 vs K-5 IIs Cross Sections - Photokina 2012 | PentaxForums.com
I realize there needs to be some stuff behind the sensor but there is still room for improvement. Thinner screens and with changes to the shake reduction it could be possible to build a K-mount camera nearly as thin as a film SLR. Is that really a selling feature worthy of engeneering I doubt it, but I can still wish.