Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-01 Concert Overexposure Advice please

Hi everyone,

More than once, my wife has brought my K-01 with 40xs lens to a concert only to be disapointed with the result. The result was pictures in which the performer was completely overexposed. Her friends iphone did a much better job. I will try to post examples later. Any advice? I have tried her using Auto mode and AV mode. ISO was 3200 I believe. I believe the exposure mode was center weighted. I suppose she could try spot metering, but I would think there would too many times where the performer might not be right in the center. Is there is a scene mode that she could try? Any advice would be appreciated.

07-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would suggest matrix metering and -1 to -2 ev compensation in P mode. Turn on highlight correction also. RAW images has more dynamic range.
07-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Hi everyone,

More than once, my wife has brought my K-01 with 40xs lens to a concert only to be disapointed with the result. The result was pictures in which the performer was completely overexposed. Her friends iphone did a much better job. I will try to post examples later. Any advice? I have tried her using Auto mode and AV mode. ISO was 3200 I believe. I believe the exposure mode was center weighted. I suppose she could try spot metering, but I would think there would too many times where the performer might not be right in the center. Is there is a scene mode that she could try? Any advice would be appreciated.
"...the performer was completely overexposed" -- so expose for the performer instead.
07-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cameras don't overexpose... You do...

You will either need to say exposure sompensation down to compensate or shoot in M mode and under expose by a stop or two.

What is happening is most of the scene is dark and your camera is trying to lighten up those dark areas to 18% grey. This means the well lot portion (the performer) is over exposed.

07-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If the performer was more or less inte center I am a bit surprised, since centerweighted means more weight to the center... but do try multisegment metering and set the exposure to link to the selected AF point and then use AF. This way the multisegment metering will bias the metering to the point of focus - so if this is the performer then it would exposure after the readout of the performer and not be tricked by the darker surrounding.
07-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The trick to concerts is setting everything up and leaving it. The exposure of the performer will seldomly ever change on stage.
07-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With film, you need to develop to see the images. With digital, you can view an image within a few seconds. Take advantage.

07-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #8

Concert? ISO1600 F/4 shutter 1/100

Or post a photo and we can tell you definitively what setting would have worked.
07-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shoot RAW. look at the histogram, make sure nothing is clipping. Use the fastest shutter speed with a reasonable ISO. manual mode is great for this type of situation.
07-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's replies, I appreciate it, yes, it would be best if I posted examples, I will when I get home. Also, my wife doesn't know anything about photography, so I have to try and foolproof it for her before she goes. That's the issue.