Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 02:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 acting funny with DC/SDM lenses

Recently I've noticed my K-01 acting weird when I have a DC/SDM/HSM lens connected. When one of these lenses is mounted, the sensor shakes every second or so. The camera will not autofocus and displays MF on the LCD. It is slow to turn on and turn off in such cases, and slow to snap pics. It works perfectly fine with screw drive lenses. Has anyone else encountered this type of behavior?

08-01-2015, 04:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't have the highest opinion of the AF on the K-01...
While I don't have any DC/SDM/HSM lenses, thus being a little useless to your query, I noticed that it tends to be ok with the 18-55mm WR, very good with the 40mm XS, very slow and hunting with off-brand long-ish lenses (I have a cheapo Sigma 70-210mm from the film era which turns sloooowly - and misses consistently... - with the puny motor of the K-01 and is snappy with my K100Ds) and not much dependable on old/cheap lenses etc.
The K-01 is a fantastic MF platform, AF-wise I'm not sure I'd like to rely on it much...
08-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Two questions:

-- Does your camera have the latest firmware? It needs it for some lenses (I believe).

-- WHICH lenses exactly are giving you trouble? If you do have the latest firmware, Pentax SDM/DC lenses should work fine. However, some third-party lenses will not work properly in live-view (and so not at all on the K-01) without a firmware fix for the lens. There are a number of Sigma lenses that will not focus in live-view without a firmware update -- free from Sigma, but you do have to send in the lens to get the update. And if I recall there is at least one Tamron lens (70-200?) that people said doesn't work right in live-view, however Tamron has no fix and doesn't seem interested in providing one.
08-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Two questions:

-- Does your camera have the latest firmware? It needs it for some lenses (I believe).

-- WHICH lenses exactly are giving you trouble? If you do have the latest firmware, Pentax SDM/DC lenses should work fine. However, some third-party lenses will not work properly in live-view (and so not at all on the K-01) without a firmware fix for the lens. There are a number of Sigma lenses that will not focus in live-view without a firmware update -- free from Sigma, but you do have to send in the lens to get the update. And if I recall there is at least one Tamron lens (70-200?) that people said doesn't work right in live-view, however Tamron has no fix and doesn't seem interested in providing one.
Yes I'm running the latest firmware. I'm having trouble with all of my internally motorized lenses. Listed below...
DA 18-135 WR
DA* 300
Sigma 10-20 F 3.5
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4
Sigma 18-250

Also, the camera's contacts are clean.

08-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Recently I've noticed my K-01 acting weird when I have a DC/SDM/HSM lens connected. When one of these lenses is mounted, the sensor shakes every second or so. The camera will not autofocus and displays MF on the LCD. It is slow to turn on and turn off in such cases, and slow to snap pics. It works perfectly fine with screw drive lenses. Has anyone else encountered this type of behavior?
Hello Geomez,

I have a K-01 and two recent SIGMA HSM lenses; the 17-50 and the 30 art. On both lenses the autofocus works flawlessly (in the typical K-01- I am not in a rush - kind of way). The 17-50 being the quickest to focus of the two. Excellent lenses both. Third party I also have a Sigma 70 macro (sluggish AF but it gets there) and a Sigma 24 1.8 (underrated lens IMHO). No problems with these (screwdrive lenses) either. Only the AF with my Tamron 70-200 has a lot of problems on the K-01, to the point that the AF is neigh unusable.

Strange that you have these problems, with exception of the DA*300. The K-01 is known to have problems with long lenses.

Taking into account that (1) both Pentax DC and SDM and SIGMA HSM lenses cause AF problems on your K-01, and
(2). screw drive lenses AF work just fine, and (3) presuming that the lenses are okay (I mean, what are the odds of all lenses being faulty), I think that that points in the direction of a malfunctioning contact on the lensmount.

Any Pentaxians near you with SDM and / or HSM lenses? May be you can try them? If the problem is still there I think it's probably the K-01.

Good luck!

Last edited by brink; 08-01-2015 at 01:30 PM.
08-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Probably problem with the power contacts in the camera, that controls the motor in the DC and SDM lenses. You say it displays 'MF' in the viewfinder, this is indeed an indication that something is wrong in the camera here.. Try to clean the contacts in the lens mount in the camera, but it can be a more serious issue too that a Pentax educated service technician can solve.
08-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brink Quote
Taking into account that (1) both Pentax DC and SDM and SIGMA HSM lenses cause AF problems on your K-01, and (2). screw drive lenses AF work just fine, and (3) presuming that the lenses are okay (I mean, what are the odds of all lenses being faulty), I think that that points in the direction of a malfunctioning contact on the lensmount. Any Pentaxians near you with SDM and / or HSM lenses? May be you can try them? If the problem is still there I think it's probably the K-01.
I don't know anyone with a K-01 near me but I do have two K-01s. All lenses work flawlessly on the other one.
One more thing...
When a SDM/DC/HSM lens is mounted and I turn the camera on, the LCD does not illuminate. When I turn the camera on, and then mount the lens, the live view image on the screen has vertical lines throughout it.

08-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You probably know this already but the SDM contacts are the two contacts in the mirror/sensor box and not on the bayonet flange on the body.

08-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You probably know this already but the SDM contacts are the two contacts in the mirror/sensor box and not on the bayonet flange on the body.
Fully aware.
08-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The K-01 is a fantastic MF platform, AF-wise I'm not sure I'd like to rely on it much...
It needs light to operatie the af well. So fast lenses work better on the K-01.

This is an indoor situation. Is the problem the same with full light? And use a full charge battery's. Maybe switch the battery's between your camera's, since this could also be the problem, a malfunctional battery.
08-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've used it in bright sunlight and with different batteries with the same results.

If the lenses worked in MF mode only, that would be fine with me. The problem is the camera is not usable with those lenses.
08-03-2015, 05:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have a 2x teleconverter which for some reason has SDM contacts only on one side. I tried it on a couple of Sigma lenses and the camera immediately starts to "freak out" and do weird things. So it sort of sounds like that, and I strongly suspect something wrong with the SDM contacts on the body fouling up communication and leading to unpredictable effects...
08-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Photos: Albums
It sounds like the contacts in the camera might need cleaning or might be flaky since it's doing it with multiple lenses. My K-01 has never exhibited this behavior.