Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 02:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 won't start. Advice please.

I purchased a nearly new K-01 last week and when it arrived I tested it out for about ten minutes on two occasions, then put it in my camera bag. All was well. Today I placed a fully charged battery in it and an SD card containing the firmware update files and it will not turn on. No sounds nor lights. Plugging it into my PC and turning it on does nothing. I tried different batteries, with and without different SD cards, some with files and some without. I tried putting the same battery and card combinations in one of my other K-01s and it worked just fine. I ruled out the SD card door by depressing the door closed confirmation button with the door open.
Nothing.
I have no idea what is going on and would love any suggestions before I have to begrudgingly send it in to Precision Camera for a $150+ bill just to use my new camera for the first time.

10-09-2015, 04:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aw, that is really bad luck. And it looks like you tried a lot of stuff already.
How about removing the lens and cleaning the lens and camera mount? That is a place where things can get shorted out sometimes. Maybe try a different lens altogether, something safe like a manual lens that you know works normally.
Also, did you try cleaning the battery slot and SD card slot?
10-09-2015, 04:51 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Aw, that is really bad luck. And it looks like you tried a lot of stuff already.
How about removing the lens and cleaning the lens and camera mount? That is a place where things can get shorted out sometimes. Maybe try a different lens altogether, something safe like a manual lens that you know works normally.
Also, did you try cleaning the battery slot and SD card slot?
Take out the battery and turn the camera on and off, and then put the battery in and turn the camera on again. An old trick that sometimes will work.
10-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

Sorry to hear that. It seems you have tried very hard to save your camera, but I think you should first remove SD card and lens from your K01, since they are not required for turnning on the camera. Then the camera body and battery are left. I believe your battery is good for it can serve other camera body well. Thus, it's very sad to speculate the problem lies in the camera body.
The most minor problem for the camera body I can think of is the metal cap on SD slot. when it is not correctly shut, camera won't turn on. Wish I have a right guess. Anyway, good luck to you.

10-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've tried all of those things. No change. I appreciate the suggestions.
10-10-2015, 04:31 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I've tried all of those things. No change. I appreciate the suggestions.
Sad to say, your main board is faulty. I have a white K-01 sitting on the shelf with the same issue. If Pentax would be more generous with parts, and calibration software, It would be an easy fix...
10-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GuitarGuru76 Quote
Sad to say, your main board is faulty. I have a white K-01 sitting on the shelf with the same issue. If Pentax would be more generous with parts, and calibration software, It would be an easy fix...

This is my worst nightmare. I have a K-01 that I've had for a couple years that stopped working with internal-motor lenses. I didn't want to pay a $150 repair bill plus the cost of parts for a camera I purchased new for $250.
I bought this new to me K-01 as a way to get a fully functional camera, and here it dies almost immediately.