Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recover MOV from SD card

The cameras (K-01) battery died while recording a long important clip. The file is on the SD card but the camera can't play it. I copied over to my computer and it cant play it either. Am I doomed or is there a way to recover this corrupted MOV file? Please help. I tried a yodot recovery tool but it did not work.

Anyone have done an mov recover and if so can shed some light on how to do it...?

10-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #2

https://www.google.com/search?q=repair+corrupted+quicktime+file&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
10-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
https://www.google.com/search?q=repair+corrupted+quicktime+file&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Thanks I already tried software that use the reference file and corrupt file to recover it and they did not work. Looks like there are multiple vendors doing the same thing. Possibly reading a good header froma reference file and updating the bad header on the bad file.
10-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Have you tried VLC media player? It is often able to play incomplete files.

I have a couple of unused coupons for SanDisk RescuePRO Deluxe, if you'd like one I can send it to you via PM.

Good luck...

10-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Lyn IV Quote
SanDisk RescuePRO Deluxe

Trying this now. I had 1 from a sandisk card I bought last year. It is slow and it is sitll scanning through the 32GB SD card. I am hoping it gives me something. But I am increasingly skeptical. That file on the card shows 0kb. So I am thinking it started of creating the header and did not finish writing the EOF and not sure what happens then. I am not entirely sure what would rescuepro bring the table but I am trying to use it right now to see waht it gives. I also tried the windows check drive scan for the SD card to see if the file recovers. But it said there are no errors on the SD card.
So my only hope is this Scandisk Rescue pro. If not then I am doomed I think.
10-18-2015, 03:20 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I had the same thing, ding battery, but my timelapse was okay. I guess one needs luck with this.
10-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #7

Try Photorec. I tried 5 different file recovery tools and hands-down by far Photorec was the best.

PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery

10-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Lyn IV Quote
Have you tried VLC media player? It is often able to play incomplete files.
The problem in this case is its a 0kb file. So VLC does not bother reading it at all. I am thinking my only option is to do a raw data seek in the SD card memory (SandiskPro or similar).
10-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
raw data seek in the SD card memory
After running the scan on the card I see a few files with IDF and ARJ extensions. They may be relevant but dont know how to put them together to make them a meaningful mov file.
10-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The problem in this case is its a 0kb file.
Then you have nothing to recover.
10-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #11

It is possible the file got written to disk but the index entry was corrupted. Data is usually written first and then the index tables are updated.

A file recovery program looks at the used sectors of the card or disk and if possible will try to associate these to entries in the file index tables. Just because the index shows the file at 0 bytes that doesn't mean the data is not on the disk. And the index entry while showing only 0 bytes may also still contain the indexes of the sectors that the file was using. If the data is recoverable and there is no suitable index entry it will assign a file name. Recovered files should never be written to the device being searched.

A deep scan or some such option may be required.
10-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery
Try this - it does the deep search and in my experience will pull all fragments it can find.
02-03-2016, 05:04 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Hello! If your files are on an SD card, you can use the hard drive recovery software for Windows 10. I've had such an issue before too, and that tool worked like a charm for me.
03-13-2016, 04:15 AM   #14

The cameras (K-01) battery died while recording a long important clip. The file is on the SD card but the camera can't play it. I copied over to my computer and it cant play it either. Am I doomed or is there a way to recover this corrupted MOV file? Please help. I tried a yodot recovery tool but it did not work.

Anyone have done an mov recover and if so can shed some light on how to do it...?
Hello, with the aid of this software I fixed the issue in MOV video files which was not able to play. Try your luck Corrupt .mov File Repair Mac | Repairing Corrupt .mov File Mac
Regards Jim