Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

Cable shutter release for the K-01

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been using my newish yellow K-01 for quite a while now and have grown very fond of it. I love the expressions I get from strangers and the intrigue it seems to inspire.

Anyway, I tend to use it for photo modeling public sculptures and landmarks (photogrammetry). Sometimes I find that I have to use a painters pole to lift the K-01 high enough to get the top of a sculpture so I can accurately model it at home. The problem is, I'm holding a pole that can be anywhere from 6-12 feet long with one hand, while I'm aiming the remote shutter release at the K-01 with my other hand and have found that it is really tough to get it to fire sometimes.

As an example, I was recently attempting to photograph the top of Michelangelo's Moses to get his scalp and shoulders. You can see how I had my work cut out for me here: https://flic.kr/p/uZQ86Q

I've tried putting in a fresh battery in the remote and I'm thinking about trying some sticky note paper to try reflecting the remote signal back towards the eye on the K-01.

Back when I was using a Nikon, I had a 15 foot cable shutter release that never failed and I found it was easy to get the shots I needed. I'm aware that the K-01 doesn't have an official cable shutter release port, but I've been surprised to see listings on eBay that claim to offer that functionality -- 3M Shutter Release Cord for Pentax k-01 K-5 K-7 K10 K20D K30 K50 K110 K200D 645D but I'm unsure how this should work? I assume it would be using the microphone port, but I didn't think that could be used as a shutter release too? Can anyone clarify this for me?

11-03-2015, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The seller is mistaken - the K-01 does not have a wired shutter release port. Like the K-m, K-x, K-r, K-S1, and K-S2, the only remote release for the K-01 is the IR remote. One trick I've used with the K-01 to get the IR to pick up the remote from odd angles is to tape a piece of translucent plastic from a milk jug to the camera with some sticking off to the side/bottom. The plastic "conducts" the signal to the remote.
11-03-2015, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try aluminum foil as your IR reflector. As a side note, I use the IR remote release a lot. The cams with a backside IR port are very useful -- the K-5's and 3's, and the Q series. To me the backside IR port is a great feature.

Last edited by Marktax; 11-05-2015 at 08:29 AM.
11-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have three JJC IR remotes that I use all the time for the K-01 and K-3. I bought three because they are so cheap and I wanted to have one for each of my camera bags. Mostly use them for still life shots or landscapes.

11-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The seller is mistaken - the K-01 does not have a wired shutter release port. Like the K-m, K-x, K-r, K-S1, and K-S2, the only remote release for the K-01 is the IR remote. One trick I've used with the K-01 to get the IR to pick up the remote from odd angles is to tape a piece of translucent plastic from a milk jug to the camera with some sticking off to the side/bottom. The plastic "conducts" the signal to the remote.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Try aluminum foil as your IR reflector. As a side note, I use the IR remote release a lot. The cams with a front IR port are very useful -- the K-5's and 3's, and the Q series. To me the front port is a great feature.
I wish you guys can post a picture with it because I cannot picture it out in my mind of what your contraption looks like. Sorry about that. This is just a newbies's request. Thanks!
11-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The original poster seemed to speaking of overhead shots -- at least that's what I thought he was describing. If I needed to trip the shutter with an IR remote from directly below the camera. I would tape a small square of aluminum foil right above the IR port. Also, my own original answer was mistyped by me. I meant to say that an additional BACKSIDE IR receiver is helpful. They all have front-side IR ports. The K-3's and 5's and the Q-series have the additional BACKSIDE IR port, which is far more useful than the front for anything but a group selfie.
11-05-2015, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

If you want a cable release, see this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-...ir-camera.html

11-08-2015, 03:58 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Thanks for the link!
11-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
This looks great. Generic Pentax remotes are cheap and I can't wait to try this. With any luck I won't have aching, sore arms on account of needing to hold my painters pole with one hand while straining to stretch out my other hand to fire my current IR remote anymore. Thanks!

Jerry