Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I bought a K-01 last month to give it a try. And I've been using it. It's quirky. Which is normally right up my alley. But, I just am not really gelling with it. I'm trying, but it's just not happening.
I preached the virtues of my GX7 and compact lenses in your "lens for the fair" thread a couple weeks ago, and I still think you should give it a try. It would probably be a completely different experience than the K-01.

11-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a K-01 last month to give it a try. And I've been using it. It's quirky. Which is normally right up my alley. But, I just am not really gelling with it. I'm trying, but it's just not happening.
I struggled with it for the first couple weeks, but after smacking myself in the head with it enough times, trying to look through the nonexistent viewfinder, drain bramage set in and I came to love it.

That said, the Brick is definitely not for everybody. Are you using the neck strap? Part of the breakthrough for me was when I got frustrated and took the strap off. I found I wanted to hold it a little too far from my face to be comfortable with the strap around my neck.

Last edited by THoog; 11-17-2015 at 02:15 PM.
11-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, it can be a handful...
Long lenses? nah... AF? mostly not...
But buy a LCD viewfinder* and put some manual lenses on and you'll have a war machine at a budget price...

@Ron: I couldn't hold something smaller than that, really. No Q for me (nor 1, nor m43).

*cinema-like screen experience, plus one more supporting point (i.e. your face) to help you holding long lenses better than the arms alone.
11-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter

My eyesight is too poor to do a lot of fine manual focus work. The K-01 does help that, but I still don't have a great love of manual focus.

11-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Looks to me as a great, but expensive camera.
It does indeed. And wouldn't it be great if it had the PENTAX K-02 badge on it ?
11-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So is the future to this smaller sensors, or is the future to bigger sensors? Is K-mount still good for a new generation of milc or is this going in different direction?
The future will be defined by companies able to remain alive. There's a number of different camera systems, but they all have so room for improvement, either their a large and heavy, or they are slow, or they have poor built quality, or they are not good looking.
There's still some simplification and also firmware improvement by leveraging sensor capability with embedded software etc. Sensors embedded processing is still nearly non existent, fairly basic. With large sensors, there is enough space to embark more hardware processing. Even today, P&S camera have convenient software features that a DSLR does not even have. In the long term, I really believe that image sensor can feature an embedded AF system (real time processing) to replace the current DSLR AF. Currently, the only reason with mirroless AF is slower than DSLR is because of the need to process image acquisition by software which is always slower than real time embedded software. You could well imaging a AF processor stuck a the back of the image sensor, and a limited number of selected pixel for the viewfinder. That will come. DSLR might completely disappear and be replaced by cameras smaller than DSLR, EVF, fast AF and battery life time closer to DSLR. That won't happen in the new few year, but ultimately, mirrors will be dropped, as image sensor will embed more and more of what today is on the mother board. Monolithic integration have been a general trend since the beginning of electronics, and I guess it will also happen to camera sensors. As far as the Pentax brand is concern , it's going to move up the high-end products bastion more and more in order to get revenue from less volumes.
11-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
If you include screwdrive, aperture lever AND gear for un-crippling the K-mount, I think the overall volume for a K/AF adapter is going to come out about the same. It would probably be more symmetrical because the lens lock, aperture lever, and screwdrive aren't all on the same side for K-mount. I figure PDAF-on sensor will be the norm before long.

If Pentax was ever going to de-cripple the K-Mount, they would have done it years ago.

11-18-2015, 04:12 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A four thirds sensor is still pretty decent size. As time goes by, there are general improvements to every level of sensor and they tend to come to the smallest sensors first and trickle up. So eventually, full frame will always be best followed by APS-C followed by four thirds (purely with regard to still photography performance -- video is another story). The big question is one of "good enough." What size sensor produces adequate image quality for the purposes of the photographer? If you shoot weddings with candle lit receptions, then probably full frame and f2.8 zooms are going to be the minimum level of performance that you will settle for. On the other hand, if your whole output consists of instagram and facebook posts, then a smart phone or a camera with a lot smaller sensor will be more than adequate.

I would love to see Pentax release a new k mount mirrorless camera. They could do two versions -- one with a full frame sensor and one with APS-C sensor. PDAF on the sensor, bigger buffer/faster frame rate, and EVF. The goal should not be to shrink the camera excessively, but rather to improve ergonomics in a relatively small package. Once you stick a zoom lens on the camera, it ceases to be tiny, but the big thing would be to make a solid camera with good specifications that offered mirrorless options to Pentaxians.

I don't see it happening. The K-01 was too unsuccessful, but I think if priced right, it would be a good seller.
11-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
If Pentax was ever going to de-cripple the K-Mount, they would have done it years ago.
I think so, too, but @bertwert included it in their spec for an adapter in post #4.
11-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think so, too, but @bertwert included it in their spec for an adapter in post #4.
Why not...
It's all speculation anyways
11-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Whoa, Amazon just knocked $300 off the GX8 body for a 24-hour sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GX8KBODY-Mirrorless-Camera-Stabilization...AATVPDKIKX0DER