Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Pentax K-01 for live feed

Hi. I just want to ask if the Pentax K-01 can be used as a camera for live feed. I want to try if the video can be projected on a projector and at the same time record the video.

Thanks

12-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/257846-hdmi-output.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #3

Sadly no.

According to the manual, "The camera stays in playback mode while the HDMI cable is connected to it. Remove the HDMI cable to enable shooting." (p.187)
12-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Okay. Thanks!

12-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Nopes...

QuoteOriginally posted by dubdub Quote
if the Pentax K-01 can be used as a camera for live feed.
Nopes... I just tried it. The camera switches to playback only mode (kind of enforced). Tried various combinations also as in Turned on/off with the cable attached, turned on in video mode, cable attached while in while in live view mode, etc. So HDMI is only playback and no live feed . It would be awesome if this HDMI could be used to pretty much replace the built in LCD. A firmware update may be???
Also the mini HDMI connector that you will need to connect needs to be very slim. I had a mini HDMI to standard HDMI adapter that I had to improvise (splice it on one side) to make it sit into the mini HDMI port properly on K-01. See attached picture.
So you (we) are out of luck.

Last edited by shardulm; 10-25-2016 at 01:44 PM.
12-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a suggestion but you could use the PC/AV socket. The quality is not great certainly not HD but it does run alongside the recording.
I just tried it on my K-01 and TV, using a Pentax to phono cable whose origin I don't remember, and it worked quite well.
It simply shows whatever is on the live view screen.
I guess the internal processor can't encode for recording and encode for HDMI at the same time.
01-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Forum Member

Right, there's another thread around here on using the PC/AV socket. Make sure you get/have the right cable. I played around with it once and the video quality is pretty good.
02-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yep, your only option is the analog output, the K-01 is particularly hobbled with the "force to playback" going on, but even in playback, the HDMI output doesn't display what you've recorded, if you're in a PAL country - 1080p25 is displayed as 1080p30.

The Analog output is Standard Definition only with the same overlays visible on the cameras screen. It's okay for a Directors Monitor feed on a CRT, but I wouldn't stream from it.

All Pentaxes have really bad HDMI implementation - the K-3 comes up as outputing 720p60 when recording 1080p25. I tested all this a while back, there are posts about what I found.

Even the 645Z has unusable HDMI, for when it comes to recording to a Atomos Shogun or similar.

Add that to the Sensor Shift being switched off in Video Mode, and you get a whole heap of bad firmware reasons to not buy another Pentax, even with the fantastic image quality in stills, the full dynamic range in video (which is then compressed waaaaay too far), and the great range of lenses available to us.