Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I too am joining the party, on the day of the K01's 4th birthday buying one off the forum. I have wanted one for a little while as an IR camera. Might be a good thing I found it right after the posting as on another forum there as a posting today of a Rolleichord V for about the same price and I would have jumped on that instead not really needing it.

02-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #17
KGH

Photos: Gallery
I can only view in parallel unfortunately. I find it harder now that I wear contacts full time. How are you exposing and lining up your images for stereo with the K-01? I started with a Stereo Realist until I bought the Fuji W3. Love 3D, hard to make time for it though. Not as much as I would like anyway.
02-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KGH Quote
I can only view in parallel unfortunately. I find it harder now that I wear contacts full time.
You might find it easier if you use a piece of cardboard as a vision divider between the images. I wear one contact lens only alternating eyes every half month. Right now, the contact is in the right eye. It has 0 diopters of correction, but also gives me overlaid +1.25 and +2.50 to allow me to read easily. I use B&L Purevision that are rated for 30 days continuous wear. Before the ophthalmologist took out my cataracts and put in lenses, I used to be rather near sighted: -5 in the right eye, -4.75 in the left. I wore coke bottle bottoms until they invented soft contacts. I won't put in hard contacts for the reason that a piece of grit in the eye will rip a soft contact, but will rip the cornea with hard contacts. For most of my life I knew what blind meant because I was blind without my glasses, and no way was I going to endanger my eyes.
03-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I too am joining the party....
Did you get your K-01? How is it working for you?

---------- Post added 03-17-16 at 06:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KGH Quote
How are you exposing and lining up your images for stereo with the K-01?
Sorry I missed this earlier - hadn't realized the thread had gone to page two. I put the two images in separate layers in GIMP, play around with alignment and perspective tweaks manually there, then use a little python script to lay out the final pair.

I too have a W3 and use it now and then. It's great when the circumstances are right for it.

03-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the risk of wandering somewhat off-topic. . . If your interest is 3D then you need to get your hands on a Fujifilm FinePix REAL 3D W3. It's pocketable, you can easily snap people and scenes with motion, and you can view the images in 3D on the LCD. (Although, in my experience nothing compares with viewing 3D photos on a 3D TV set.) As an extra bonus, the W3's battery is interchangeable with those used in all Pentax Q-series cameras. I actually have the Fuji W3, Fuji XF1, and Pentax Q7 with a common set of batteries. The Q7 gets far the most use, but the others are nice to have alongside it.

I no longer have my K-01, but I did have the DA 21 lens with mine, and it was a great combo. My only gripe was the noisy, hunting autofocus. It sounded like a toy robot having spasms. The same lens when placed on a DSLR focused much, much faster. I'm sure that comes down to the difference between contrast AF and PDAF. Contrast AF and screw-drive are not friends.
03-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Nice, welcome to the new guys! I hope you update the firmware, as the first version was really much slower than the latest one. Huge difference in AF.
K-01 is a great little camera. I really want to get the DA 21mm for it, but every time I save up for it, some unexpected expense pops up lol
Hope to see some of your photos posted around the forums
03-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Did you get your K-01? How is it working for you?

---------- Post added 03-17-16 at 06:03 PM ----------

Sorry I missed this earlier - hadn't realized the thread had gone to page two. I put the two images in separate layers in GIMP, play around with alignment and perspective tweaks manually there, then use a little python script to lay out the final pair.

I too have a W3 and use it now and then. It's great when the circumstances are right for it.
I have not used it much yet as everything is all brown here, such a dry warm winter. But with spring greening up I will be starting to shoot IR soon. The camera itself seems so easy to use. I am not sure how much I like holding it compared to the K-r or the K5IIs, it will take getting use of.

Both the IR K01 and the WGIII will be going to Iceland with me late May and after that trip I will really know how much or little I like the camera or how much I will be shooting IR. I did with film but it is so much easier with the K01.

04-08-2016, 06:23 AM   #23

I too decided to give up my film SLRs (ME Super and MX) in favour of the digital world (I was using my mobile phones' cameras for years anyway). I bought a used K-01 simply because I found it was the best camera body for all my K-mount lenses. I am really happy with it and the 18-55mm zoom that came with it is not bad either. I will be graduating to the FF Pentax but in the meantime the K-01 will hopefully offer me a decent introduction to digital photography.
04-11-2016, 11:55 PM   #24

I just got a 2nd hand K-01 and its so quirky and brilliant! I mostly use the 21mm limited but tried it with the plastic retractable kit lens I got with my K-S2 and it awesome too! Anyone else tried it? It struggles with my 100mm macro and my 55mm* f1.4, keeps hunting....but I didn't really buy it for portraits or macro...
04-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K-01 is absolutely perfect for using old MF lenses. Especially if you otherwise would use LV with a DSLR, which would have a more significant shutter noise and a lot of mirror movements ... more noise and more wear.
I would go so far and call the K-01 a design classics, even though it was heavily criticized for it's style when it was introduced.
04-13-2016, 01:02 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
A K-01 is absolutely perfect for using old MF lenses. Especially if you otherwise would use LV with a DSLR, which would have a more significant shutter noise and a lot of mirror movements ... more noise and more wear.
I would go so far and call the K-01 a design classics, even though it was heavily criticized for it's style when it was introduced.
I have a whole bunch of manual lenses but yet to try them....I'm off now to give them a go. I agree, it is a classic and I don't think there will ever something like them again. I'm getting a bit of a sluggish whine when it tries to focus at times, is that normal?
04-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #27

By now I have tried all my old K-mount lenses (mostly from the 1980s) and the results are brilliant. Admittedly it's a slow process and suited to tripod photography but the results are as good as I had hoped.
04-15-2016, 12:50 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Freddie Quote
I have a whole bunch of manual lenses but yet to try them....I'm off now to give them a go. I agree, it is a classic and I don't think there will ever something like them again. I'm getting a bit of a sluggish whine when it tries to focus at times, is that normal?

I can't give you advice here. I don't observe this with my K-01. Besides manual lenses the 40mm XS is the only AF lens I use, so I have no real 'treasure of experience' here ...

06-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
I know this comment was made a long time ago, but I just now discovered it.

I have never used a K-01, but your statement relates to something I've been wondering about.
The shutter for my Q-7 is a leaf shutter in the lens; this is a wonderful system because it is so very quiet. In fact, this is the system I use when I want my activity to be totally inconspicuous - during a church service, for example.
If I took a picture with my K-30 instead, there are two sources of noise {choosing between LV and OVF affects only the timing of the noise}: noise from moving the mirror and noise from moving the shutter.
Is taking a picture with the K-01 like taking a picture with the K-30, sans the mirror noise when entering LV mode, or is the shutter noise from the K-01 different from shutter noise of a DSLR?
06-08-2016, 04:11 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is taking a picture with the K-01 like taking a picture with the K-30, sans the mirror noise when entering LV mode, or is the shutter noise from the K-01 different from shutter noise of a DSLR?
The K-01 is a little more quiet than DSLRs, because it has no mirror. There is no cla-KLINK. However, there is still some shutter sound, as well as the sound of aperture blades (this depends on lens) and AF sounds (also kind of depends on lens). I think there might be a youtube video that compares shutter sounds of various Pentax cameras and maybe even the K-01. Also, make sure you turn off all the sounds of the camera, like the beep-beep of focus confirm and similar. I find this is the most important, then AF (better to use MF or a DC lens)
But I do not think the K-01 is as quiet as a compact mirrorless with leaf shutter.

Edit: here is one such video, but at some sort of event: