Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Arriving late to the K-01 party

Okay, I'm late to almost every Pentax product party, mostly as a consequence of involuntary penny-pinching. A few months ago I got the itch for a quality compact-ish camera, and bought an MX-1, which has been excellent; but that exploration got me interested in the K-01 as well, and I found a used one at a good price.

I gave it a Joby wrist strap and keep a DA21 limited lens on it almost all the time, which is a Very Useful Length.

The rig is just the right size for a Case Logic DCB-304 case, one of whose side pockets holds the wafer-thin 40mm kit lens. Very manageable. I have been loving just about everything about this camera; I hadn't upgraded DSLRs since my K20D, and this is not only a significant improvement in sensor performance, but also the first really usable autofocus I've ever had for my Pentax lenses. Obligatory cat photo from the DA21, wide open:

Also with the alignment grid turned on and image review turned off, the K01 turns out to be a pretty capable tool for 3D stereophotography, which has been my hobby for the last couple of years. In the circles where my fellow 3D enthusiasts hang out, a lot of the photography is done with point-and-shoots and cell phones, and I'm finding that quality equipment does make a difference. A crossview pair:

The only negative I can point to so far is that the camera forgets what time it is whenever I charge the battery. Apparently this is a common complaint. For now I'm just setting the clock it when it asks. It goes a long time between charges anyway.

Last edited by Sluggo; 01-10-2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: removed incorrect photo link
01-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't hit your forehead on it...

Enjoy
01-10-2016, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the happy brick user bunch
As far as the clock is concerned, mine is all right, I suspect yours has a bad or depleted internal capacitor.
Maybe the previous owner has left the camera too much time without battery, maybe the circuit that charges the capacitor is fried, it could be many things... don't know if it's fixable or not, but it wouldn't hurt to at least keep the battery inside the camera whenever you're not charging it.
Anyway, who cares? it's a marvellous camera and I bet you'll enjoy it a lot!
01-10-2016, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It's much maligned, Sluggo, but the pictures people have taken with it have always been great.

You might consider the 40mm f2.8 SX lens, which was designed for it, IIRC.

Would be a great two lens setup with your 21.

01-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy the little brick.
01-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

Enjoy
Hey, I resemble that remark!
01-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hey, I resemble that remark!
I might have borrowed that remark from you
01-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #8

enjoy!
I got one after K20 just like you did (blue-white one), and enjoy using it.
I really love the K20, the images of course and also espiecally for the button layout and big grip. but the sound from the flipping mirror is very enoying.
After K20 good quality images at higher iso was great to have though.
The AF is painful in general. In good light it does ok but if hunts switching to manual and back to af is easier, which is painful.

you definetely need a DA40mm, not a very small combo but as small as it gets for pentax i guess.
(strange i don't have the time issue neither)

01-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I arrived to party late myself last year. After I upgraded to my K3 from my K10D I decided I wanted something a little more portable. Along came the K-01, despite all the negative comments and K-01 bashing I decided to get one. Finally one was in the marketplace for a nice price. The little yellow brick has really impressed me. I too really enjoy using the 21 limited on it. It just seems like a nice focal length and it is really small. Since this camera shares the sensor with the K5 I see why so many people love the K5. Enjoy your little brick, I know I have enjoyed mine.

The DA 40xs really makes the K-01 complete I think.
01-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
:-) Shot that with the MX-1 in "1 cm macro" mode, one of its more endearing features.

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
don't know if it's fixable or not, ... Anyway, who cares? it's a marvellous camera
My feelings exactly. It's a small annoyance that comes up only once in a great while, and nothing to get upset about.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You might consider the 40mm f2.8 SX lens
I do have that lens; didn't say so very clearly, but it's what I was referring to as fitting in a side pocket of the case. Haven't used it much yet because I am just a habitual wide shooter, but it's done well the times I have tried it.

QuoteOriginally posted by tapiolan Quote
I really love the K20, the images of course and also espiecally for the button layout and big grip.
I still use the K20D for its a wired remote connector, which facilitates syncing it to a second K20D for stereo shooting. But for me the K-01 has every advantage for other situations. I have come to prefer the LCD view over even a good OVF; that is an unpopular opinion, but how nice to be able to compose with the camera in unusual positions without needing my eye up to it, and with the peaking display available to still help nail the focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
despite all the negative comments and K-01 bashing I decided to get one. Finally one was in the marketplace for a nice price.
Lucky us, I guess? If it had been better received initially, it might not be such an fine bargain now!
01-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

OOH 3D! More! More!

Welcome to the club Sluggo and Scorpio71GR!
01-10-2016, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I miss shooting with my K-01 but I'm so used to the K-3 at this point that it's hard to go back. The 21 was my go to lens before I got into the FA Limiteds. You can't beat the value of the K-01 for the price though. I really hope that someday Pentax releases a worthy successor.
01-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
OOH 3D! More! More!

Welcome to the club Sluggo and Scorpio71GR!
Thanks for the 3D! I have to get back into practice seeing it without a viewer. I had to reduce my display size a couple to see 3D without the viewer. I used to be able to do it about 3 [Ctrl]-[+] presses bigger.

When in the military I used to read 3D maps and overflights without the hassle of digging out the viewer. Takes practice, but most people can do it, unless they were cross eyed as a child - and that's not an insult, it is a physiological condition. If you were wall eyed as a child, it's a snap. Just relax the muscles. I have to exercise the muscles to be able to look at the middle of both images, one with each eye, but it is just an exercise in moving the images as I see them.
01-11-2016, 03:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
OOH 3D! More! More!
Maybe you'll like some of these?

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If you were wall eyed as a child, it's a snap. Just relax the muscles.
Pretty sure you're describing parallel-view format - which is fine, but it's the opposite of crossview, which is how I format my stereo pairs. Here is a quick test:

Crossview 3D (crossing your eyes slightly so the right eye sees the left image and vice versa) has gotten more popular in the last couple of decades. Main reason, I think, is because there's no size restriction - most of us are physically limited to smaller pictures when parallel viewing. But I have seen some people present their stereograms in left-right-left triplets, so that they can be seen correctly both by crossviewers and those who learned the parallel method.

Also here's a crossview tutorial for anyone new to the whole thing.
01-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Crossview doesn't work well for me - I am a bit wall eyed. With the double P image you posted above, on my monitor at 1 1/8" separation, I see them on top of one another at 1 meter (3 feet) distance as three images with the centre image having the P in front resting closed eyes for several seconds and then opening them. 2 inches centre to centre is no hassle. I can do 4 inch centres when I am in practice, again at 1 meter/3 foot/arm's length distance from the images. With a sight divider between the images I can go a bit wider than that.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 01-11-2016 at 09:35 AM.