Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Odd occurrence with my K-01 today.

My camera is about three years old and has maybe 2,500 shutter actuations. It's worked flawlessly until today. When I turned it on, instead of it making a brief back and forth motor focus noise, the focus motor would not stop. Even turning the camera off didn't cause it to stop - I had to quickly/frantically pop the battery. I then removed the lens (DA21 Limited), remounted it, put the battery back in and turned it on. It's worked fine since.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it cause for concern?

Thanks in advance for any help.

02-02-2016, 02:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would clean the lens and mount contact and recharge the battery. Maybe just a single flaw you never see again.
02-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree. Gently clean the lens and lens mount contacts (I use alcohol wipes). For what it's worth, over the time I've owned by K5 and K3, there have been rare occurrences of little one-off issues with both - most recently, a couple of months ago, the camera wouldn't auto-focus with my DA50 f/1.8 - it just kept hunting back and forth. I removed the lens, cleaned the contacts on the lens and body, took the battery out of the camera, left it for a few minutes then tried again and everything was OK. It could have been an intermittent contact between lens and camera, but was more than likely a software glitch. I don't think you have any cause for concern unless it becomes a regular occurrence.
02-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a feeling that removing and remounting the lens probably took care of the problem but I'll clean the contacts anyway.

Hope that the continuous-on motor didn't overdrive the lens or strip anything. The noise didn't sound bad; it was just like it was trying to focus the lens (in one direction) until I could remove the battery - for almost 10 seconds.

Cheers,
Mike