Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 05:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Achromatter Quote
Yes, they must have recently lowered the price, it was $135 at first.
I ended up caving and bought one at the $30 price, as I didn't see any other options materializing. Now I have to figure out how to attach it, so it doesn't come off again.

I think $30 with free shipping is a fair price.

I would assume that, when the knob arrives, you'll be able to figure out a good attachment method (which you'll share with us, right?).

06-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A small blob of clear silicone sealer/glue/stuff has held two of mine on for... well, longer than the original glue.
06-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. There is a pin on the underside of the dial that fits in a hole on the controller. The Marlins on the dial will then orient correctly with the electronics
  2. Clean residual glue off the control surface (it is like rubber cement or silicone caulk).
  3. Attach your new dial with a dab of more aggressive glue, or just another dab of silicone caulk. Pliobond works well.
06-25-2016, 01:00 AM   #19

I had reattached the original knob with "high-strength" hot-glue, after it fell off. I cleaned both surfaces thoroughly & roughed up the inside of the aluminum knob. Didn't work, I lost it somewhere. This time I was thinking of trying some type of epoxy, I had heard of something called Tite-Bond or something like that.

The new knob comes with the plastic selector shaft(?) already attached, but I am NOT taking my camera apart. And if it's glued on with the same crap they glued the ones that fell off with, it should easy to separate & it would have just come off again anyway, like the original. I just have to wait for time to go to Home-Depot and see what adhesives they have.

06-25-2016, 01:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I worked in camera repair Pliobond was our go-to adhesive in most cases.
It holds well but unlike some other adhesives allows disassembly if necessary,
e.g. servicing camera for some other problem later on.

Chris
06-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Oh thank heaven! I misread this and thought it was the Crop Mode dial on a K1. That is my favorite dial! I went into a panic, my heart raced, I was in a cold sweat and my blood pressure skyrocketed.

Glad it was just another case of my confused speed reading....and glad you found a replacement dial!

Best Regards!
07-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh Woe. After just purchasing a used K-01on ebay to convert to IR, I came across this thread. In checking with the $30 ebay mode knob supplier, I found they quit offering as of March 2017 - just missed getting a spare by a few months. I really, really hope they come across more to offer.

All is not sad however. Now I know the first thing to do when I get my K-01 (after looking to see if it has its mode knob) - stick that sucker with some super fantastic something so it will never come loose!!

09-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #23

I keep tugging at mine and it seems like it's on there as solid as ever. I wonder if high heat or something environmental causes it, my camera has not been in too many temperature extremes. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!
09-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm seeing the same as rmalbers. I gave a test tug on the knob of the K-01 I purhased and it seems pretty well anchored. Just the same, I'll keep an eye on it, but for now I'm not removing it just to put some adhesive on it. I hope I don't jinx us both!
08-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #25
Pentaxian

It appears on EvilBay again, $30 apiece. Just click the link in #2 post to find it.
08-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdog2006 Quote
It appears on EvilBay again, $30 apiece. Just click the link in #2 post to find it.
That one is a 3D printed dial and appears to be translucent plastic (hard to read modes), however some "refurbished" OEM dials are available here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-K-01-Digital-SLR-Mode-Dial-Replacement-Repai...-/152710481100

Or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-K-01-Digital-SLR-Mode-Dial-Replacement-Repai...-/332144416032

but get ready for sticker shock.
08-25-2018, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
That one is a 3D printed dial and appears to be translucent plastic (hard to read modes), however some "refurbished" OEM dials are available here:

Pentax K-01 Digital SLR Mode Dial Replacement Repair Part Genuine 77560.0A331 | eBay

Or

Pentax K-01 Digital SLR Mode Dial Replacement Repair Part Genuine 77560.0A331 | eBay

but get ready for sticker shock.
Agree to your point, that one available @$30 is hard to read. But to spend $70 or $90 for a ~$200 K-01 seems too much to me(Sorry for being cheap........)

So, this is what I did to make it a little bit more useful..........
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo