Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the additional comments. Here's what I've learned:
- The K-S1 is probably a better choice for me than the K-01 which is now a 3rd choice.
- The K-S1 is probably just a second choice. I really like the WR on my K-30, and I really like the dual control wheels, and I really like the electronic level. The K-S1 lacks all those things.
- The K-S1 for $299 that the 76ersfan noted is tempting, but if I could get a used K-S2 for, say, $100 more, it would be worth it to me.
- So now I'm thinking it would be best to clean out some lenses to get some extra money and just hold out for the K-S2.

Thanks again. This process really did help clarify what I should do.

05-14-2016, 03:40 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do think the K-S1 is a very nice choice if the budget isn't very good. Unless you need weather sealing and a tilt screen, I think it is pretty nice. I like my K-01, but it is a four year old camera design that wasn't known for its speed of operation (frame rate, buffer or auto focus) when it was released. It is worse now, even in comparison with entry level cameras. The K-S1, on the other hand, is small (if that is important) offers nice auto focus (both PDAF and CDAF better than the K-01) and a very nice sensor. As for the original K5, I don't know that offers much over your K-30, except for iso 80.

I wonder if there aren't going to be a bunch of used K3s hitting the marketplace any day now, as folks upgrade to K-1s...
05-14-2016, 05:29 AM   #18
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wonder if there aren't going to be a bunch of used K3s hitting the marketplace any day now, as folks upgrade to K-1s...
I think that has already started...
05-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I really love my K-01 - except when I'm outdoors in sunlight.

Agreed. I loved my K-01 in many ways. I could live with its sluggish autofocus (even after the firmware update). But its rear LCD effectively made the K-01 an indoor-only camera for me. Go for the K-S2 if there's any way you can possibly make the numbers work.

05-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I've used my K-01 in Spain, Croatia, Italy, Canary islands, Israel, European Alps, botanic gardens, boat tours.. and the sunlight on LCD was a problem only a couple times when shooting at mid day on sunny summer days and going for a very specific angle of the intended subject. Not a big issue for me overall. But hey, I guess people have different needs. I find that just a hat to shade the face (which is a good idea on such bright days anyway) was enough. Cowboy hat, baseball hat, soft hat, whatever.
05-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I've used my K-01 in Spain, Croatia, Italy, Canary islands, Israel, European Alps, botanic gardens, boat tours.. and the sunlight on LCD was a problem only a couple times when shooting at mid day on sunny summer days and going for a very specific angle of the intended subject. Not a big issue for me overall. But hey, I guess people have different needs. I find that just a hat to shade the face (which is a good idea on such bright days anyway) was enough. Cowboy hat, baseball hat, soft hat, whatever.
That's great that it worked for you. I'm serious. But I've used a lot of cameras with LCDs-only in sunlight. Most I could at least deal with. The K-01 was virtually impossible. I was essentially working blind. A couple of friends purchased loupes for their K-01s. They seemed satisfied. To me, that defeated the entire purpose of the camera. Reluctantly, I sold mine. A pity. If the K-01 had something like the "White Magic" technology in its LCD (a la the Ricoh GR and Sony RX100) it would have been a non-issue.
05-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the reason I'm OK with the LCD screen is that I tend to shoot with primes, and that makes me less reliant on any kind of viewfinder. I'm very used to the 21mm, 40mm and 77mm FOV, so I tend to look at the scene and think about it before I even raise the camera, and then I'm just using the screen to check where the edges come, so limited visibility is enough. It would be problem if I didn't trust the metering of the K-01, but I find it to be the best camera I've ever used in that regard - very reliable and consistent. On the other hand, I've never enjoyed using zooms on the K-01, and I prefer to have a viewfinder for that.
05-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I have the K5IIs, the K01 and the K-r. I only got the K01 as an infrared camera where it is better than a dlsr. Does the K-r and K50 not take the same battery? That would seem to me on a trip to be a benefit , only one charger and the spare can work with either camera. I do not regret getting the K5IIs but the K-r is still a great camera. I like it better than the K01 but for myself the infrared conversion and in using the same battery and charger the K5IIs and K01 are a better pair. If I did not want an IR camera I would be satisfied with the K-r as the second camera on most trips or events.