Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens question on K-01

Hello all,

Whenever I'm using my K-01 the aperture blades on digital lenses start to open and close for no apparent reason. I'll be walking and I hear them. It also happens when I'm moving from a dark place to a brightly lit place. Is this behaviour normal? Is it something in the settings? Is it the CDAF?

I generally use the XS 40mm, DA 35, and DA 50. This obviously does not happen with manual glass.

Any ideas?

Thanks

06-28-2016, 12:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are your current settings? Does it happen if you select manual mode?
06-28-2016, 12:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's normal if you have Auto Exposure enabled. Hit the AE-L button while you walking about, that stops it. Then tap it again when ready to shoot.
(Or pop on the lens cap)
Not unique to the K-01 but it's loud enough to be damned irritating. I really hated it when I had one.
06-28-2016, 12:52 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Hello all,

Whenever I'm using my K-01 the aperture blades on digital lenses start to open and close for no apparent reason. I'll be walking and I hear them. It also happens when I'm moving from a dark place to a brightly lit place. Is this behaviour normal? Is it something in the settings? Is it the CDAF?

I generally use the XS 40mm, DA 35, and DA 50. This obviously does not happen with manual glass.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Yup, it's normal unfortunately. The camera has a mind of its own and may or may not use the aperture to control live view exposure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Whenever I'm using my K-01 the aperture blades on digital lenses start to open and close for no apparent reason.
Any ideas?
The little squirrels inside the K-01 are usually busy managing the screen brightness,
in part to help conserve battery power, and maybe to prolong the life of the screen.
So these aperture changes are one way they can help to do that.
Another function of the aperture changes is to protect the sensor,
which of course is open to the light all the time the camera is operating.

My advice would be to only have the camera turned on
when you're actually in the process of taking a photograph,
whatever mode you happen to have selected.
06-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
My advice would be to only have the camera turned on
when you're actually in the process of taking a photograph,
whatever mode you happen to have selected.
You may not be understanding the issue fully. When taking a series of photos you only need to move the camera slightly to point it at a different light level for the scraping blades sound to occur. You're certainly not going to keep switching the camera on and off again for photos you're taking ever few seconds.
It's a real issue and it was an exceedingly irritating one. I don't miss selling the K-01 at all.
06-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
ou may not be understanding the issue fully. When taking a series of photos you only need to move the camera slightly to point it at a different light level for the scraping blades sound to occur.
Well, right. If you are in any auto-exposure mode the camera is going to be constantly adjusting the aperture blades based on the light source. That is how my K-01 works.

06-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. I'm learning a lot!!
07-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
You may not be understanding the issue fully. When taking a series of photos you only need to move the camera slightly to point it at a different light level for the scraping blades sound to occur. [...] I don't miss selling the K-01 at all.

Hmmm... For me, it's ~different~ from using a DSLR, but not annoying -- I see it more as part of the K-01's "character".

Perhaps if I were using the K-01 as my primary body I might feel different (since I use a K-3 most of the time and only occasionally use the K-01).
07-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I avoid this issue by using my K -01 is M mode. Manual mode is essentially like TAv mode on a DSLR. The K-01 has its quirks but you can work around them.
07-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's a real issue and it was an exceedingly irritating one. I don't miss selling the K-01 at all.
It bothered you that much, eh?
07-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
It bothered you that much, eh?
It was certainly a factor, but not the reason - I sold every bit of Pentax gear I had to move over to MFT
07-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I avoid this issue by using my K -01 is M mode. Manual mode is essentially like TAv mode on a DSLR. The K-01 has its quirks but you can work around them.
I took it out for a spin on the weekend, and it does it in manual as well

---------- Post added 07-04-16 at 07:57 PM ----------

It's normal if you have Auto Exposure enabled. Hit the AE-L button while you walking about, that stops it. Then tap it again when ready to shoot.
This however did work for me. So I may have to use this "feature"
08-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I sold every bit of Pentax gear I had to move over to MFT
Lolz
I'm filming on GH-4 this week,... using K-mount lenses,... Why not just buy a mount adapter Steve?

@ Paul Pines - yup, completely normal, just one of the ways the K-01 operates to give a balanced preview image on the LCD.
If you have a full manual lens on the camera, or the Iris ring turned to stop down the metering, you can press the +/- button to simulated the same action to preview the exposure.
Personally, never found it annoying, but I shoot video more then stills and use K-A and K-M lenses most of the time, so I know I'm not normal, even among Pentaxians.
08-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Lolz
I'm filming on GH-4 this week,... using K-mount lenses,... Why not just buy a mount adapter Steve?.
That would be rather silly of me to move to a smaller ILC camera system only to wack a huge lens with adapter onto it.
I feel the Oly lenses I have now are better than the Pentax lenses I had. Especially the 45mm F1.8 prime. I think it's coated with magic.