Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
recommendations for short-to-standard length zooms

Thinking of picking up the 17-50/2.8 EX-DC-HSM Sigma for my K-01 since the price is pretty good now and I've been asked to shoot a concert gig coming up in a few weeks.

Has anyone used this combination, and if so, have you found that the HSM works well with it?

Most of my existing lenses are primes, some of them very dear to my heart, but I'll want better flexibility for composing shots while moving around without changing lenses, and relatively quiet autofocus. I asked someone at Adorama, and they didn't know but said not to worry about it because of the 30 day return policy. Still I'd rather hear from someone who has tried it.

07-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't tried it with the K-01, but the lens itself is optically very good indeed on my K-5, K-3 and K-3II, and the HSM AF motor is extremely quiet. My only concern would be whether 50mm is long enough for a concert shoot... Unless you're really close to the action, I'd guess you would need something considerably longer (maybe the 50-135 f/2.8, or even a 70-200 f/2.8). But it depends entirely on the environment you're shooting in, where you'll be positioned and the types of shots you're hoping to take.
07-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. One of the facilities people told me I'll be allowed in nice and close. So the short end is my priority at the moment, though there'll be an 85 prime in the bag too in case I get surprised or go after closeups of the guys in back.
07-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Thanks Mike. One of the facilities people told me I'll be allowed in nice and close. So the short end is my priority at the moment, though there'll be an 85 prime in the bag too in case I get surprised or go after closeups of the guys in back.
Ah, OK - that makes sense now In which case, I think you'd like the Sigma. It's a little better at the longer end than it is at the wide, but essentially good throughout the range. At f/2.8 the centre outperforms the borders, so if you're planning to use it wide open, you might want to favour central placement of the subject for best results. I regularly shoot mine at f/2.8 and I'm generally very happy with the results, although I did spend quite a bit of time testing and adjusting PDAF accuracy (the lens required -4 AF fine adjustment on my K-3). I believe the K-01 uses CDAF, so that wouldn't be an issue for you.

At current US prices, the Sigma is something of a bargain, IMHO

07-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd likewise go for the Sigma, or something like the DA 16-85mm. The silent AF motor is important since CDAF needs to move the focus around more than PDAF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd likewise go for the Sigma, or something like the DA 16-85mm. The silent AF motor is important since CDAF needs to move the focus around more than PDAF.
For a concert, that might be a bit slow, f/3.5-5.6
07-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I just received mine yesterday, purchased from another PF member. I have tested on my K-3 and K-50 and I must say I am very impressed. I don't know why I waited so long. I had been holding out for a DA*16-50, but I don't think I will be needing that one now.
07-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 28-75. It's made for a 35mm FF, constant F2.8, and I have its little brother the 17-50, and find it a superbly sharp and useful substitute for the Pentax kit zoom on my K5.

Last edited by cmar; 07-15-2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Didn't use my glasses the first time! ( My eyes back focus these days)
07-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 20-40 mm Ltd is a wonderfull lens on the K-01 if you don't mind the short range.
07-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the ideas. I'll have to figure out what kind of compromise makes sense. Actually could be tempted by the DFA 24-70 (somewhat like the 28-75 mentioned by cmar, but adding ultrasonic focus) despite the steep price tag and the fact that it's rather a physical over-match for the camera body and might make me dig out the old K20D or even upgrade my DSLR. Ugh, this damn rabbit hole.... :-) Still, I could try renting a 24-70 for the event, if I don't just buy the Sigma 17-50.
07-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The 20-40 mm Ltd is a wonderfull lens on the K-01 if you don't mind the short range.
It's a lovely lens, for sure (and the DC AF motor is excellent), but a bit of a slow choice for indoor work, IMHO - only f/4 at the long end, and really needs stopping down to f/5.6 at any focal length if border performance is required. It's at its best around f/8...
08-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Followup: though never been much of a zoom user, I've assembled a more or less obligatory "two fast zooms" kit: a gently used DA*16-50 from a forum member (less than a year old, so should have the "good" SDM), and an older Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX DG HSM II from auction. Almost pulled the trigger on a 50-150 but decided the extra reach was more important to me than covering the 50-70 slice, since I now have several gigs lined up with this facility and the rules won't be the same for all of them.

The 70-200 doesn't currently autofocus on the K-01, but I've talked to someone at Sigma service who thinks a free(!) re-chipping will remedy that. The model was last updated for the K7 specifically for live view, which I guess was a CDAF thing. I'll use it in manual focus mode, or maybe stick it on a K20D, for the first couple of outings till I have time to send it away.

Thanks again for the insights y'all gave in replies.
08-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice choice of lenses, with a good range of focal lengths. Good luck with the shoots!