Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 is always in live view, so it has the type of focusing that a DSLR has when in live view. This is different than the regular PD AF of DSLRs. It is a little slower, might hunt sometimes, but it does not suffer from back or front focusing. Once you update the firmware it gets a little better than the original firmware. You also learn how to deal with it, its strengths and weaknesses. But it is not going to be as fast as something like K-3 or K-1.
Like I said, K-01 is a relatively slow camera. If you are in hurry, impatient, or if you take the kind of photos where speed is required (sports photography, photos of moving animals or children) then you might be better off with a classic DSLR. Landscapes and flower photos, the K-01 is great imo. You can check my gallery (link in sig) to see what kind of photos I took with K-r and K-01.
The suggestion of K-S1 is a good one. You can find it for amazing prices, used. Basically, if I were you, I would make a list of priorities and set a budget. Then look at local used offerings and find the best possible camera that fits in that budget. 16MP sensor or newer; these would all be a step up from the K-r.

But!!

You mentioned you only have one lens. I would recommend you update the lens before camera. Unless your camera is falling apart or damaged.
Get a nice lens like DA 50mm f1.8 and DA 35mm f2.4. These will improve image quality a lot, give you faster AF and better low light performance. And the best part? Even if you upgrade from the K-r to something else, maybe two, three years later? You can still use these lenses, and they will still be decent. Lenses are better investments than cameras, they keep value better and can be used for decades. Move away from the 18-55mm zoom. It is not a terrible lens, but it is the worst performer that Pentax is currently selling.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-23-2016 at 05:55 PM.
07-24-2016, 01:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratilations!

If it was about size or megapixels then you got it. Or if it was about getting rit of the viewfinder. Maybe there was an interesting lens included?

Anyway, you are welcome back to Pentax anytime! And there are lots of cheap and good old Pentax lenses to use on the NX2000 with an adapter.
07-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #18

Original Poster
Hi thanks Simen 1
I often go on camera safaris. And we will be back with the Pentax brand - probably sooner than I think.

The NX2000 had a 20-50mm Kit lens with it which may not have been my first choice. But it's specs were up there and maybe a little better than the K-r.

Criteria this time was all about IQ that is why the Samsung NX300 was uppermost in the search. Yet found that the NX2000 compared favorably with the NX300. Yet the much more expensive NX500 may be on the horizon once prices fall.
The NX300 has some great prices on Ebay US right now so we will just have to see where this journey takes for the next camera after the NX2000

Cheers for Years
Colin

---------- Post added 07-24-16 at 02:11 PM ----------

But here is biggest latest NEWS OK!!! --->>>I have another Pentax K-r with 18-55mm lens on it's way back from my Grand Daughter who only uses her iPhone for pics - One gift I gave returning back here.

So "SURPRISE surpise" we are "Still in like "Flint" with a Pentax Camera.

Cheers for years
Colin