Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Looking at the K-01 to replace my K-r

This decision seems to be getting closer & closer.
Mainly into landscape photography but looking to expand the horizons too.

Compared K-01 with K-r on Snapsort and the IQ what seems to have set this in motion - even though the K-r has only about 1300 actuations.
That being said the only lens that we have is the Pentax 18-55 SMC DAL

Because as of today there is someone local considering this K-r along with the Pentax 28-80mm & Pentax 100-300 Lenses which to my mind would leave the 18-55 for the K-01.

Any comments criticism or advice is truly welcomed.

By the way I do have a Panasonic GF3 Infrared that I use daily too.

Cheers for Years
Colin

07-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a K-01 when it was first released and it pretty much replaced my K-r. Only use K-r when I need OVF or slightly faster AF and burst mode. And that is almost never.
The K-01 has great sensor, but it is a relatively slow camera. If you get it, make sure you have the latest firmware on it. It takes some getting used to, but its great once you do.
That said, the K-5 series can be found for great prices these days, and I guess I would recommend those over the K-01. The K-01 is slightly sharper (due to low AA filter) than the K-5 and K-5II, but those two have a slightly better DR (and of course other top tier DSLR features). The K-5IIs has no AA filter, so it beats the K-01 in pretty much every way except size. Oh, and it does not have focus peaking?

Anyway, K-01 is a cool camera for those of us that like it. Can't guarantee you will like it, but I hope you will. K-01 definitely has better resolution, sharpness, and noise performance than the K-r. The 16MP Pentax cameras are all pretty amazing in terms of ISO/noise and DR. If you want a barebones camera, then the K-01 is a good choice. Especially with manual lenses.
07-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I went with the K-S1 personally.
07-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love my K-01, add the 55-300 DA telephoto and a cheap ebay loupe, that's a reasonable kit.

Highly recommend the LTD 40mm f2.8 and the F 35-70mm.

07-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I love my K-01, add the 55-300 DA telephoto and a cheap ebay loupe, that's a reasonable kit.

Highly recommend the LTD 40mm f2.8 and the F 35-70mm.
I don't particularly recommend the 35-70, I'd recommend saving for the 18-135. The 35-70 is so close to the 40mm (which you will want) that I never find myself swapping to it.
07-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The F3 5-70mm is pretty cheap compared to 40mm and 18-135 and has the pretend macro function.For someone looking for Bf$ its first choice
07-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think the K-r are a good camera. I could never buy another camera without a viewfinder.
07-22-2016, 02:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I probably would look for a good deal on a K-S1. The K-01 is a nice camera and I still use mine, but it is slow to auto focus and just operate in general and using the rear LCD in really bright light isn't a great experience.

07-22-2016, 03:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Try and go for a K-S1 or K-S2. A viewfinder in bright light is a godsend.

The K-S1 is the same weight as the K-01.

Howie Be
07-22-2016, 07:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I think the K-r are a good camera. I could never buy another camera without a viewfinder.
Which is why the K-S1 makes sense as an upgrade. A much better viewfinder than the K-r, plus it's about the same size and with better AF and metering. The sensor is also great (and so is the one on the K-r, I think those are the two CMOS sensors Pentax uses that give the best colors, personally).

Last edited by ChristianRock; 07-22-2016 at 07:36 AM.
07-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Having both models I would say the Kr is the better all round camera. I have not owned the K01 that long and it is modified for infrared but I still think the the Kr I'd quicker to use and easier in daylight. I did upgrade the Kr to the K5iis when it was being discontinued and do not think I would advise anything less than that for an improvement. I would probably follow the advise given above for one of the newer models if I was you. Myself, I am more than satisfied with the K5iis but am sure the K-S models would suit you even better.

I have more than 27000 shots on my Kr. With the few shots you have maybe shooting more often an a better lens would help you more.
07-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank You --->>> Na Horuk, ChristianRock, surfar, ZombieArmy, Simen1, Rondec, howieb 101, & redrockcoulee.

Curious what the actual delay in focusing time is between the K-1 & K-r???
Could not find a K-S1 on the forum.
Looking for a better lens than the 18-55mm may be a little out of my reach along with a camera.

Please excuse my waffling. Just trying to get my head on straight as the K-r may be sold this Saturday morning (Locally)

Now we see if there is a K-S2 for sale on the forum too.

Cheers for Years
Colin
07-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Thank You --->>> Na Horuk, ChristianRock, surfar, ZombieArmy, Simen1, Rondec, howieb 101, & redrockcoulee.

Curious what the actual delay in focusing time is between the K-1 & K-r???
Could not find a K-S1 on the forum.
Looking for a better lens than the 18-55mm may be a little out of my reach along with a camera.

Please excuse my waffling. Just trying to get my head on straight as the K-r may be sold this Saturday morning (Locally)

Now we see if there is a K-S2 for sale on the forum too.

Cheers for Years
Colin
What do you mean, you couldn't find a K-S1 in the forum. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/325733-sal...-kit-lens.html
07-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That was a "BIG OOOPPPSSS!!!" on my part.

Went out after I had searched K-S1 and did not find it. So just went looking in the For Sale and found it in the US as much as I would have preferred Canada.
Boy is my face ever red LOL

Cheers for Years
Colin
07-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for all your help and patience and help.

I will put this saga behind me right now by first explaining that the K-S1 that we found added an extra CAN$88.00 to the price.
After that jolt off I went on various tangents hoping to stay with a Pentax but alas that did not happen.

We looked at several brands like the Nikon D3200 ( Far too pricey too), other Pentax cameras on Ebay like the K-50 (still more than I could afford) a Sony SLT-55 that could fit the bill but just did not feel right.

The latest Canons from the SL-1 T2 to T3 IQ were no where near the K-r.

Even the Sony NEX series were as pricey as ever without a lens.

Then came along a Samsung NX300 (Mirrorless) that fit all my criteria for this camera change BUT I was outbid - BooHoo would have loved that one.

Finally saw a Samsung NX2000 that had only been used on one trip with a Lens and an external flash at a price I new I could afford. As I had bid on this a couple of weeks ago. The camera was re-listed and I got it at the price that the seller had offered that I had turned down

So I hope all this convoluted journey for another camera has not or does not bore anyone.

Yet thought explanations are in order - knowing that a little down the way we be off on that same journey again WITH :PENTAX the favorite LOL

Cheers for Years
Colin