Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 02:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-01 value appreciating?

For the past year or so, I've been noticing that K-01s are rather a rare sight in used camera stores in Tokyo. If you see one, it will usually be gone by the next week. The going rate has been around 20,000 yen, which is just over $200.

I bought mine for about 45,000 yen a couple months after release - I guess that makes me an early adopter. It was body only from a split kit. By the time they became unavailable, the price was down to 22,000 yen for the body only.

The same shop now has a few in stock, but I was surprised to see an "A" condition (black) body on sale for 23,500 yen. So it actually costs a bit more than it used to new, and I haven't noticed that with any other Pentax cameras.

Separately, the latest edition of Nippon Camera magazine has an item about in-demand cameras on the used market, and there it was again. This time it was the white/blue version, which goes for 38,000 yen - again, basically the same as it cost new. Interestingly the other Ricoh products there were the GXR with M-mount unit, which was in the bombastic-sounding "epoch-making" category and the GR, which is apparently the most popular compact. Plenty of DSLRs were featured, but none from Pentax, unfortunately. I guess they are just too plentiful, and face competition from newer variants of the same kind of camera.

I'm not going to suggest that anyone think about buying a K-01 as an investment, but I do think it's an interesting phenomenon.

09-21-2016, 03:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is curious.

In actual fact its a pretty good camera IMO, good IQ and relatively compact for an interchangeable lens APS-C. Biggest drawback is no viewfinder when using outside it in bright light.
09-21-2016, 03:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It is a special little camera, and maybe it will develop a little cult. But I would not expect it to reach the price that it had back when it was introduced. I wish, though, my yellow K-01 is still working well.
09-21-2016, 03:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Smurfs are Smart!

09-21-2016, 03:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I paid 35'000¥in 2014, but with 40mm XS attached, used like new, panda-white.
Now the EUR-JPY rate is far worse than it was last year.

P.S.: his second birthday has just gone a couple of days ago... rubber flap still going strong, mode dial just started to fall off, put it back into place with some strong two-part epoxy glue, should stay there now

Last edited by LensBeginner; 09-21-2016 at 03:59 AM.
09-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I am collecting the K-01 as I too think it will reach cult status. Only one left to get (black with silver trim). I have the smurf, bumblebee and storm trooper

I should post a Family shot when all four are together
09-21-2016, 06:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Biggest drawback is no viewfinder when using outside it in bright light.
This is the deal-breaker for me. It's a shame, because with the Limited primes on it, it ought to be the ideal K-mount street photography camera. And it's not the post-shot review which is the issue so much as the framing (although let's face it, with a DA15 or DA21 on it, you can practically sight over the hotshoe and be sure of getting your subject, but then you are faced with cropping like crazy because your composition is never going to be just right SOOC). What it really needed if it wasn't going to get an EVF was a collapsible hood around the rear screen...

09-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This is the deal-breaker for me. It's a shame, because with the Limited primes on it, it ought to be the ideal K-mount street photography camera. And it's not the post-shot review which is the issue so much as the framing (although let's face it, with a DA15 or DA21 on it, you can practically sight over the hotshoe and be sure of getting your subject, but then you are faced with cropping like crazy because your composition is never going to be just right SOOC). What it really needed if it wasn't going to get an EVF was a collapsible hood around the rear screen...
With AF and low set flash hot shoe I find a simple optical viewfinder mounted to the hotshoe as really effective.
09-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
LCD loupe.
Bulky and not all that convenient, but hey it works, esp. with MF lenses.
09-21-2016, 06:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yashica Tele-Wide Viewfinder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
09-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That's more compact, but 1. I bet the marks are for a FF crop and 2. I bet it's easy to mess things up if you forget the current FL, or with zooms.
09-21-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I am collecting the K-01 as I too think it will reach cult status. Only one left to get (black with silver trim). I have the smurf, bumblebee and storm trooper

I should post a Family shot when all four are together
There's a fifth and if you ask me, it's the nicest of all. Have you seen the silver edition that was only sold in Europe?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/196498-silver-k-01-silver-da-lens.html#8
09-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I've got mine from the marketplace here, it's a Pandatrooper - and I still like it, use it. And guess what? If I came across a bumblebee with a good price I will probably buy it IQ-wise it is still a capable camera.
09-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #14
CDW
Site Supporter

I owned a yellow one as a backup for a K5 for a year or so. I bought it on a blow out, new, for $299.00. Looking at the files in retrospect, they really are quite good in spite of 12 bit RAWs. No real complaints, it focused well, which was fortunate because using it in bright sunlight was a challenge without an EVF. It was aim and pray.
09-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I appreciate mine!