Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 12:08 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Forgive me Gods of Pentax...for I have sinned....but repentance is nigh....

There's a bit of story to this so bear with me.....

In the beginning was born the K-01, and as an owner and user of several different brands of camera (Olympus/Canon/Panasonic/Sony etc) I saw the K-01 and had my WTF!??? moment, I mocked and derided this camera, I laughed with all the others, taunting Pentax users for the brick like aesthetics of the K-01, it's coloured buttons, it's attempt at cool. I paraphrased John McEnroe, I made comparisons with Toys R Us etc etc. I then forgot all about it and carried on, condemning it to the camera dustbin of history. In my continuing travels in search of the camera for me, a woman asked me for help with her camera at our Camera club, it was a Pentax K3. I played with this model and thought whoa! this is a nice camera! This was like a smaller, newer Olympus E-1 (A camera I still own and love), this thing had loads of buttons and dials, it felt great in my hands, it made my Sony A7 feel like a toy, I was hooked.

I subsequently bought a K3II and the 16-85mm, I was impressed, great IQ in a tough package, so much better than the Pentax Kr I had flirted with years before, and the lens is very sharp to boot. So I made the decision, I bought fully into Pentax, I now own the 15mm F4, 20-40mm and 75mm F2.4 ltd's, I love them, not perfect, but excellent in their own way, really well made equipment, I love that. I have a whole load of pentax lenses now, and a couple of Sigma's and the Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 (Boy that lens is sharp on the K3II). But I needed something else, a backup body, but something smaller and lighter than the K3II (I think you can guess where this is going now...). So I looked around, and there it was, staring me in the face, the Franken-camera - the brick was back! So I read up about it, I watched youtube reviews, it wasn't built like a toy at all, in fact quite the opposite, it appeared to be the marmite camera, people either loved it or hated it.

But let me clarify something before someone warns me off. I also shoot with Sigma DP Merrills, this is a labour of love, not for the faint hearted. I have 14 batteries for 3 cameras, I am used to looking at a black screen in bright light, in the vain hope that I can align it with my subject and get a decent shot. I'm used to making tea inbetween shots as their red lights wink at me, taunting me in morse code "I'm not finished yet...I'm not finished yet...". I'm used to processing in Sigma Photo Pro, the lights in the house dim as my computer pulls all available power to convert the X3F files to tiffs, for further colour shift torture. I understand the issues involved in shooting with "not cutting edge" cameras, I even have a white faced Rolleicord if I want to shoot really slowly. So no, the K-01 holds no fear for me, I know all about the sensor, it's easily good enough. So I've ordered one, no mean feat in the UK, in fact they're rarer than a British born waitress, so I had to order one from Japan, it's on its way, it's perfect for what I want, I know I'll love it, if you can shoot with a Sigma DP1/2/3M you can shoot with anything, trust me on that one. I can't wait to shoot those cracking DA ltd's on it, they're perfect for it.

So, I confess my crime, I beseech you to forgive me, I knew not what I was doing, I was young (well ok, younger than I am now), I was foolish in my condemnation, I am ready to repent, I throw myself at your mercy, be gentle with me....

12-06-2016, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Have fun!
12-06-2016, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Absolution granted.
12-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by papillon_65 Quote
... in fact they're rarer than a British born waitress ...
I haven't heard this. Where are your waitresses from then? Surely not Japan?

12-06-2016, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
All over Europe, especially eastern Europe.
12-06-2016, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hope the two of you become good friends! I have never derided the K-01, but I don't see one in my future either

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
From all over Europe, I'd think. Much like here in Norway - Norwegian waiters are about as common as K-01s

(Edit: Didn't see Ray's post there - but at least we agree!)
12-06-2016, 01:27 PM - 9 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Love the mixed metaphors spoken here regarding the rarity of the K01.

I love mine - have four (one for each member of the family). Kids love them. Better still, they take great shots and are super light when paired with DA limiteds.

But, I must confess, I was a little befuddled the other day after picking one up. My fingers are used to the K1 now and it seemed a little too lightweight - but that is ok as it has its place (holiday camera )

A shot taken with the K01 and FA31

12-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Love the mixed metaphors spoken here regarding the rarity of the K01.

I love mine - have four (one for each member of the family). Kids love them. Better still, they take great shots and are super light when paired with DA limiteds.

But, I must confess, I was a little befuddled the other day after picking one up. My fingers are used to the K1 now and it seemed a little too lightweight - but that is ok as it has its place (holiday camera )

A shot taken with the K01 and FA31
They really are rare now, in the UK anyway, but that bodes well for the future in terms of collectability, I actually do like quirky cameras, so it will make a nice addition to my collection and I intend to use it regularly as well. Nice shot by the way.
12-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

My Smurf is a spare battery holder( and DAltd 40mm) in the K1 bag.....so very convenient to pull it out for a quick shot when the beast needs down time!
12-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Hope the two of you become good friends! I have never derided the K-01, but I don't see one in my future either

From all over Europe, I'd think. Much like here in Norway - Norwegian waiters are about as common as K-01s

(Edit: Didn't see Ray's post there - but at least we agree!)
I think we will get on fine, people's reactions to quirky cameras always makes me laugh, I recall a Canon shooter with a full frame camera clocking my DP2M and looking at me with total confusion, or maybe he just thought I was insane
12-06-2016, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by papillon_65 Quote
he just thought I was insane
You were!
12-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
You were!
It is a pre-requisite to using them, but when you get it right - boom! that's what I'm talking about......
12-06-2016, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I bought a K-S1 for the same reasons.

Absolutely perfect walk-around body when paired with the DA Ltds.

Small, light, proper view-finder, great IQ and disco lights!.
12-06-2016, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I loved my K-01, and now have a K-S1. Maybe I'm perverse, but these much-derided cameras are both superb.

Enjoy your brick.
12-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great piece, thanks. And you've just about talked me into taking mine off the market. Cheers.