Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since I sold my K-50, I've been looking at the K-01. I'm sure I could get used to it.

12-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Great piece, thanks. And you've just about talked me into taking mine off the market. Cheers.
No problem, always happy to help

---------- Post added 12-07-16 at 05:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Since I sold my K-50, I've been looking at the K-01. I'm sure I could get used to it.
I can't wait for mine to arrive, having bought fully into Pentax it makes total sense to me now, looking forward to giving it a good try out and review.

---------- Post added 12-07-16 at 05:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I loved my K-01, and now have a K-S1. Maybe I'm perverse, but these much-derided cameras are both superb.

Enjoy your brick.
It'll compliment my 3 other smaller bricks nicely
12-08-2016, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #18

I really enjoy my K-O1, although I wish it had provision for an electronic viewfinder. A HoodLoupe held by elastic bands does a terrific job, even if it looks as weird as the camera itself. So long as you don't have to quickly focus, the K-01 is a great camera. Like a lot of other people, I had a hard time getting past the "ugly brick" issue.

Probably, having an Argus C-3 in my youth helped with that.
12-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Barbarian Quote
I really enjoy my K-O1, although I wish it had provision for an electronic viewfinder. A HoodLoupe held by elastic bands does a terrific job, even if it looks as weird as the camera itself. So long as you don't have to quickly focus, the K-01 is a great camera. Like a lot of other people, I had a hard time getting past the "ugly brick" issue.

Probably, having an Argus C-3 in my youth helped with that.
It's still not arrived yet, so the wait continues.....

01-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Papillon that was a great original post. I also shoot a Sigma (DP1 Merrill) and a yellow K-01 and enjoy both. All you need now is a Pentax Q! Just ordered a Q7 as back up to the Q.
Thanks
barondla
01-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@papillon_65 Welcome to the cult, Brother. I bought my first one as a pre-order in 2012 and a second NOS last year. Even with a K-1 the K-01 is my favorite digital camera.
01-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Papillon that was a great original post. I also shoot a Sigma (DP1 Merrill) and a yellow K-01 and enjoy both. All you need now is a Pentax Q! Just ordered a Q7 as back up to the Q.
Thanks
barondla
Thanks Barondla, the K-01 is now with me and I'm very pleased with it, high ISO is pretty impressive for such an "antiquated" camera lol, what a shame they never followed up on a newer version but I think I'm going to enjoy this one anyway. I also picked up the 40mm XS lens as well, and I love it, a great little lens

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 05:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@papillon_65 Welcome to the cult, Brother. I bought my first one as a pre-order in 2012 and a second NOS last year. Even with a K-1 the K-01 is my favorite digital camera.
Thanks Monochrome, I feel like I've joined quite an exclusive club and I'm impressed with the K-01, just the job

01-26-2017, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

It's funny that Pentax hasn't really embraced mirrorless the way the other brands have even though my two favorite cameras are the Q and the K-01. I love my K-1 but I will never give up those two cameras.
01-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #24
Site Supporter

IMHO, the K-01 is also the best (and cheapest) body for an IR conversion.

EDIT: IR (R-B channels reversed) with K-01 and DA 15/4 Ltd -

Last edited by fwcetus; 03-18-2017 at 07:15 PM.
01-27-2017, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by papillon_65 Quote
Thanks Barondla, the K-01 is now with me and I'm very pleased with it, high ISO is pretty impressive for such an "antiquated" camera lol, what a shame they never followed up on a newer version but I think I'm going to enjoy this one anyway. I also picked up the 40mm XS lens as well, and I love it, a great little lens

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 05:21 PM ----------

Thanks Monochrome, I feel like I've joined quite an exclusive club and I'm impressed with the K-01, just the job
Welcome to the club, mine is always with me in my car. I couple it with Pentax F 28-80 and a Pentax F 70-210 and love the results. I have also ventured to use it with a SMC 300 F4 and a Tokina 75-300 on occasion. My most used combo is with the Pentax F 50mm f1.7 though.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Papillion,... What a giggle?

Next time you're asked 'what is that?', put it in "Canon Mode" (full auto,... ) and hand it over for them to try.

In good light, the Canon users might get a few good shots and will nod thier heads, still confused.
The Nikon crowd will take a few shots, look at the controls, go 'ah-ha!', switch it to full manual, and then complement it.

Oh/And,... the K-01 loves a good tripod, but with a wider lens, the Sensor Shift in Stills is good down to 1/5th, if you control your breathing.
(turn off MovieSR,... )
03-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery
I regret selling my K-01. might look to picking up another one...
03-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was going to question the "tea" part, then I read the UK part. What ever works for you :-) I'm off to dance with the devil...
03-25-2017, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #29

Photos: Albums
5 x 5

I know I'm late to the party, but thanks for posting your humorous story Papillon, very entertaining read, glad to hear that you're liking the K-01.

Just as I enjoy Marmite, I like the K-01. First I bought a Yellow one from the US which came fitted with a folding screen hood, and really liked its simplicity and of course the design. I knew the sensor was very capable because I was using a K-5. Then I noticed a black one going very cheap in Ireland with the XS 40 so bagged it. An interest in full spectrum photography spurned me on to splash out on a converted white K-01 - IR is lots of fun. Finally, to complete the set I snatched up a very inexpensive silver one. Of course you geeks will have noticed that four is not the complete set, as indeed did I. The Smurf was not imported to the UK, but I did come across one on Ebay (mode dial top missing) and when the price fell to the correct level, I scooped it up (mode dial now on order).

Only a few people will really understand my curious behaviour - surely one is enough! Yes indeed, just one in each of the five colours, that's one for each DA limited lens.

I also use them to park DA* lenses on so that capacitors are kept charged. Now I have been told that this is nonsense, but hey, none of my old * DA lenses (7) has suffered from SDM failure so I'll stick to the superstition and every few days press the shutter, do a little fiddling with focus, and keep my fingers crossed. It tells the lenses that I care for them, and they reciprocate by performing perfectly.

Back on the K-01, I do wish that Pentax would bring out an updated version with EVF and maybe the FF sensor. Same styling by Marc Newson, but slimmer body (grip apart) and an 'aperture ring' to maintain flange distance and free up the rear dial for shutter speed or +/- exposure. I do agree that other features like improved focus speed, full HD video, etc as suggested above would make it a nice camera.

But please, Ricoh/Pentax, just in one colour!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by ronniemac; 03-26-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added a fotie