Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2017, 05:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are more important things* regarding the K-01, IMHO, and a new firmware for it is not likely (also IMHO) but I'm supporting you all the same.

*like:
> Faster (3fps?) RAW burst (it's possible because the camera does it in HDR mode, can't recall if in bracketing mode as well, so the buffer can obviously take it)
> Extended bracketing (5 pics)
> Astrotracer support (they even promised that at the very beginning)
and other little things that I'm sure exist, I'm sure they are only software-limited, but can't recall right now

03-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
There are more important things* regarding the K-01, IMHO, and a new firmware for it is not likely (also IMHO) but I'm supporting you all the same.

*like:
> Faster (3fps?) RAW burst (it's possible because the camera does it in HDR mode, can't recall if in bracketing mode as well, so the buffer can obviously take it)
> Extended bracketing (5 pics)
> Astrotracer support (they even promised that at the very beginning)
and other little things that I'm sure exist, I'm sure they are only software-limited, but can't recall right now
I wouldn't hold your breath on any of these updates. I doubt Ricoh will be doing any updates for the K-01.
03-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I wouldn't hold your breath on any of these updates. I doubt Ricoh will be doing any updates for the K-01.
I'm not. I clearly stated that I think a new firmware is unlikely.
Most underrated Pentax camera IMHO, and it's such a pleasure to use...
03-08-2017, 02:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The final farewell update would ideally have:
PLM Lens support.
Mechanical SR in Video mode
Astrotracer Support
Add,..
Peaking during Recording.
Audio Levels display
Functional & Recordable HDMI out, at the frames per second & resolution the user has set the camera to recording.
Data Rate lifted to minimum 36mbits - pref "All I-Frame" at 50mbits.

They can bundle it with "This firmware requires use of UHS-1 SDXC cards capable of 60mbits datarate.

If the hardware is classed as 'unsupported' now, perhaps they'd consider putting the older camera firmware to open source, and let the hack guys n gals have at it.

03-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Add,..
Audio Levels display
Functional & Recordable HDMI out, at the frames per second & resolution the user has set the camera to recording.

They can bundle it with "This firmware requires use of UHS-1 SDXC cards capable of 60mbits datarate.

If the hardware is classed as 'unsupported' now, perhaps they'd consider putting the older camera firmware to open source, and let the hack guys n gals have at it.
I would be all for it, but are we sure the camera is only limited by firmware and not, for instance, by the image processor, or something else in the pipeline?
03-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
but are we sure the camera is only limited by firmware and not, for instance, by the image processor, or something else in the pipeline?
I would be inclined to think it's firmware - the HDMI encoder is a pretty limited bit of kit, It converts one form of digital data input to a second form on output.
You feed it 720, you get 720, feed it 1080, you get 1080.

IMHO, what's happening there, is that it's being fed downstream of the LCD screen, so we get what the LCD gets, which would explain why the HDMI output from 1080p25 footage, is 1080p30 on playback - framerate needed by the LCD.

Ditto why the K-3 outputs 720p60 when recording 1080p25.
Because the only other explanation, is that the sensor engine is always run at 720p60 in video or live view, and the vision is up-converted in firmware to 1080p - that has been done by some camera manufacturers in the past, but that was with small format sensor 'Camcorders' that didn't have the resolution in hardware for 1080p.
In a MILC or DSLR with 16Mpix sensors, that would just be daft.

The camera has an SD-XC controller - that is more then capable of handling much higher data rates in video and in stills then the current throughput. Given a fast enough SD-XC UHS1 card, the SD-XC controller should handle about Eight times more data throughput then the current h264 codec limit of 19mbits.

As for the peaking and Audio levels - the processing power Audio levels would be less then the histogram uses, and the peaking could use the processor bandwidth reserved for the 'Bright/Dark Area' display.
03-12-2017, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

*snip*

IMHO, what's happening there, is that it's being fed downstream of the LCD screen, so we get what the LCD gets, which would explain why the HDMI output from 1080p25 footage, is 1080p30 on playback - framerate needed by the LCD.

*snip*
If it's processed that way, then ok.
If it's wired that way... no dice then, I guess?

03-15-2017, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

That is the worry.
08-03-2017, 04:33 AM   #24

Plus one from me

Add,..
Audio Levels display

I am doubt if they will... Though praying...
08-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If there's any way to turn heads at Ricoh, with the upcoming eclipse on Aug 21st, I'd really like to see extended bracketing and, more importantly, the ability to use bracketing with remote control so the camera can be tripped on a scope without vibrations (and capture images suitable for HDR).

The K-1 has it - couldn't they patch a snippet of K-1 code onto the existing K-01 firmware and issue it for the eclipse?

Ricoh - please don't forget your customers after the sale.